cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic sign-up advice sought

N/A

So basic it betrays my ignorance. An acquaintance who is not online (but whose phone line is suitable for broadband) wants to sign up with PlusNet. She has a new laptop with an internal wireless adapter but no other hardware - though I can probably persuade her to purchase the basic wireless hardware kit from PlusNet.
How - step-by-step please - in these circumstances does she sign up for the first time?
And how in these circumstances do I make a referral?
15 REPLIES
N/A

Do you wish to retain the friendship?

If so you should think seriously before you recommend anybody to sign up with PlusNet which is not the outfit it was in 2003 when you and I joined.
N/A

Hi there,

She can sign up using your connection / PC or you could create a PAYG dial up account for her initially, via your connection. Her laptop is likely to have a standard modem onboard which would facilitate a dial up connection from her premises.

Perhaps doing it from yours would be the route of least resistance.

During the sign up process, towards the end, you will be given the opportunity of entering your details as a referrer, thus ensuring you get the bonus.

If you need any further info, dont hesitate to post back.
N/A

Re: Basic sign-up advice sought

I can probably persuade her to purchase the basic wireless hardware kit from PlusNet.

If you are going to recommend her to join PlusNet (Tho why you would i can't for the life of me understand), then buy your own equipement (router etc).
Whatever you do dont go with any of PN's deferred cost equipement, and start her off on a monthly contract (if thats still available), so it should be nice and straight forward (and cheap) to get out of her contract when it all goes tits up. (as it surely will)
N/A

Its also worth noting that referrals can be made manually after the accounts have been signed up.

All that is required if somebody forgot to enter the details is to raise a ticket (can't get used to questions - sorry) and request that a referral is linked between the two accounts - this ticket needs to be raised on both accounts, both the referrer and the referred.

I'm not sure if there is a time limit for which PN would consider such a request reasonable though.
(The referral shows up on your portal as a workplace manual association - rather than the traditional details for automatically created associations)
N/A

Two replies to my query suggest I'm doing my friend no favours by recommending she both sign up with PlusNet and buy hardware from the same source. I'm doing this because in the three years I've been with them I've had very little to complain about. Moreover the router I bought from them when I signed up has been troublefree. Why in these circumstances should I not recommend them?
N/A

Hi there,

A quick browse of these forums will reveal many unhappy customers. having said that, out of a customer base of @ 200k the vast majority are experiencing little or no problems. You are clearly one of those without issues.

I am in no way diminishing the very real issues and concerns faced by many, but simply trying to add some perspective.

We can only tell it as we find.

There have been some major difficulties of late, all of them well documented on here.

There are also some angry and well annoyed customers. justifiably so in many cases.

However much is currently being done to address the problems and concerns. This may be too late for many, but I personally feel that the process is well underway and things will improve.

Like me and countless others your connection and service works and that is what we want.

The majority who visit the forums do so because they are experiencing difficulties and as such this cannot be used as a true reflection of the current state of play with regards customer satisfaction.

As I have said, there are problems, all of which have been acknowledged and admitted by PlusNet. Change and improvement is, as I said, well underway, it may be moving a bit slowly for some, but it is happening and there is real drive and desire within PlusNet to return to the level of customer service which many of us have experienced over the years.

In my humble opinion, you have made the right move in making your recommendation. Some will disagree, strongly, but my belief remains.
Alecto
Grafter

@greenhayes
I'd support what Mark says. I've never had a problem with Plusnet and think I get good value for the £22 a month.

I would say though that they aren't set up to sell hardware, and there have been reports on here of difficulties with returning faulty equipment. I'd get a router from amazon, ebuyer or broadbandbuyer where you know the customer service will be good if you have a faulty product.
Njal
Grafter

I've never had a problem with Plusnet and think I get good value for the £22 a month.

Ditto, except £15 / month!

I bought my router from:
http://www.dslsource.co.uk/

They originally sent the wrong one, but replaced it with the correct version next day with no fuss.

Regards,

Neil
N/A

If you want a recommendation on a specific router I would go with the Netgear DG834v2 mine has not given me any issues atall since I got the thing like a year or so ago.

As for someone elses advice reguarding the connection fee, they might be right to suggest it would be benificial to pay upfront, would only have to pay later if they choose to move within 5 years, and given the nature of the broadband market it is probably nice to feel free to move at will anyway incase some better offer comes allong which suits them better.
N/A

I would have to disagree with the logic at work when suggesting paying the connection fee up front!

Up front, it costs £47, if you go for the deferred option and leave after 12 months, you only pay 4/5's of that - £37.60
Yes there is a sting in the tail, but I'd sonner have a smaller sting in the tail, than a large one up front!

And if everything goes OK, whats to say that the new connection won't stay for 5 years, and not have to apy a penny for connection?

My 2p (and it may be worth less than that)
kjaerligkatt
Grafter

In my humble opinion, you have made the right move in making your recommendation. Some will disagree, strongly, but my belief remains.

I'd like to add my voice of support to what Mark says.

I've been with PlusNet a long time, and f9/Force9 before that. Overall the basic service of an Internet connection has been excellent and good value throughout that time. I've had the odd problem, and others continue to have issues. Without a doubt support and communications could be improved significantly, but PlusNet have commited to do this and are working on it.

I've looked around at other ISPs, and cannot find another one that offer me any clear advantages. As they say, it always appears that the grass is green elsewhere ;-) but I'm staying with the ISP I know, and in general trust are going in the correct direction.

I still, however, reserve the right to highlight poor support and communication as and when is necessary ;-)

Neil
N/A

Got to agree with most of the above.

I've never really had any problems that I can think of. The only ones that hit me was the CGI server being wiped (luckily the SQL was ok so it was just a re-copy files thing) and the one or two days where there were connection problems.

For what I download I dont really think i CAN go anywhere else and pay 21.99 a month. I know if i ran to Zen or wherever they would want about £70 for their usage limit+extra Gb. Eep.

---

Although saying that, i reserve the right to complain like a b.. er.. female dog now that I am on MaxDSL. Tongue
N/A

i'd agree with most posts here.

i have been with PlusNet for over 12 months now and not had a single problem. I am on BB+ and it is a bargain for the £15pcm as I schedule my downloads overnight.

If you friend has only just decided to go online and doesn't know much about computers, etc. then I think she will be fine with plusnet. Most of the people on here who have issues are generally more technically savvy than most and want/need to extract the most from their connection.

I would also say get your hardware from somewhere other than PlusNet. I would even go so far as to say get it from a proper shop rather than online in case she has problems with it so can take it back easier??

Be careful on the referral thing though. I recommended a friend last year by email. Although he didn't use the email to sign up he went to www.plus.net directly to sign up and because he had previously gone there from another website link there was a cookie which stopped the part asking for referral info. PlusNet summarily refused to credit me with the referral despite the email record and tickets being raised by us both. I know it is only 50p a month, but I like to point at principle ;-)

rant over!

PS - if you go wireless, please, please, please, please make sure you/she sets up security properly like WEP or WPA along with firewalls, etc.
N/A

PlusNet summarily refused to credit me with the referral despite the email record and tickets being raised by us both. I know it is only 50p a month, but I like to point at principle

Funny that, look at this extract from my referral list...
Referral ID: new_signup 

Discount received: £4.35

Referral ID: workplace - manual association
Discount received: £0.50

The first ones (£4.35) are the ones done by entering my username during the sign-up process.
The second part (£0.50) was one which was not entered during sign up, and was linked later.