cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bark Bark

N/A

Bark Bark

Evil

re: Your mad-dog emails instructing me to either throttle things down or get a better package from you like broadband premier.

FYI - I'm ALREADY on residential broadband premier.

Your email tells me "Upgrade to a Residential Broadband Premier or Business Broadband product that meets your usage needs - peak-time management will be instantly lifted."

Like I said - I'm ALREADY on premier. Now, how about halting the throttling?

You know, you guys have the customer service profile of a rottweiler - You pay for it to look after you, but you just know it's going to chow down on you as soon as you turn your back.

As a Residential Broadband Premier customer, I shouldn't have even GOT the bark-bark email. Please, take care of it - and me!
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Bark Bark

I presume that is the e-mail telling you are over the SUP limits? Before you say what limits I brought an unlimited service and ranting about it there are plenty of threads debating that shall we keep this one to actually helping you rather than debating the rights and wrongs? ;-)

From the top:

From reading your snippet, what plusnet are saying is you should upgrade to 4/8mb premier or a business product which cost more hence you get a higher SUP allowance.

Also plusnet have always had the provision to do this (check the t & c's I don't mean just the new ones) it's just they have only recently started doing this.

If you raise a ticket they should do this for you.

You know, you guys have the customer service profile of a rottweiler - You pay for it to look after you, but you just know it's going to chow down on you as soon as you turn your back.

Please don't think I'm being picky here but I think you mean customer relations, for me the CS has always been top notch and it gets to me when I see the staff critised so much for doing what they are told by management having said that, customer relations definately need improving and quickly.

As a Residential Broadband Premier customer, I shouldn't have even GOT the bark-bark email. Please, take care of it - and me!

If it's the SUP mail then you should have.

Have a look at this for more info on the SUP: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33114

Any feedback welcome
N/A

Bark Bark

Yes, you are right, I do mean customer relations. The customer service is actually quite good, and I apologise for maligning them unfairly.

However customer relations suck! I don't think I'm going to stick around for too long. Looks like management got their sums and forecasts and capital needs all wrong, and now - instead of investing for their customers needs, are trying to fight fire by throwing fuel onto it.
Metalguru
Grafter

Bark Bark

If you raise a ticket they should do this for you.

But (picking up on the canine theme of this thread) you must promise to be a GOOD BOY. Wink
Community Veteran

Bark Bark

Yes, you are right, I do mean customer relations. The customer service is actually quite good, and I apologise for maligning them unfairly.

However customer relations suck! I don't think I'm going to stick around for too long. Looks like management got their sums and forecasts and capital needs all wrong, and now - instead of investing for their customers needs, are trying to fight fire by throwing fuel onto it.

Phew, I was kinda worried I was gonna get flamed there it's 50/50 when responding to rants ;-)

I totally agree. However just throwing money at new pipes is not the way to go, a sensible well communicated management of the network is, however this will only work if there is a network to manage so the investment in new pipes is still needed. I would be interested if it's not sensitive info to see how plusnet work out when they need to add a pipe and what facts and figures they have based all the changes of late on unless has anyone seen those ads for orange at the cinema? They reminded me of plusnet yesterday...
N/A

Bark Bark

I think the basic thing is that Plusnet advertised an unlimited service, and drew customers in on that basis. I would never have joined a service that even mentioned controlling my usage. So, now they find they can't live up to their promises, and instead of fixing the problem - the fact that they can't handle the current traffic load - they try and alter the needs of the customer. That's like building a toll road, then finding it isn't big enough, and instead of making it wider to cater for everyone, insteadgo out and force everyone to drive a small car - those that have a small car are smiling, those that don't get really pissed off.

So the situation then is that I pull up to this new toll road in my Dodge Charger, see the sign that says DRIVE AS FAST AS YOU WANT, then pay my money and go through. On the other side of the booths, I am then forced to get out of my Charger and use a Ford Focus, and then drive well below the maxium limit as well. If I use the road during rush hour, I then have to use a moped. And all because I didn't read the tiny, tiny, tiny writing right at the very bottom of the DRIVE AS FAST AS YOU WANT SIGN, which says that once you've paid your money, the vendor can change the rules whichever way he likes, and if you went fast on the way to the toll booth then you have to use roller skates and a blindfold if you want to use the road.

But if you don't like all these changes, now that you're halfway down the road, you are free to get off the road and find you're own way thorugh the bushes back to your car .

Can't get a better analogy than that!

And that sucks the root, big time! Evil
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Bark Bark

Although the Premier service was advertised some time ago for a very brief period of time as being unlimited, it has always been defined in the terms and conditions as a contended, i.e. shared connection, which clearly cannot be used in the manner of a completely unlimited connection.

Also, you can't compare a product such as a car to a service such as an internet connection.
N/A

Bark Bark

How very pedantic - and incorrect. Sorry, try again.
N/A

Bark Bark

Contention is only limited at the exchange, not at the ISP server. This is unavoidable and acceptable. This has nothing to do with unlimited service. The wording may have changed, but when I signed up it was unlimited and unrestricted. So what you have said in the terms and conditions, actually doens't apply, surely.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Bark Bark

No, the service was shared, not unlimited. You can't have an unlimited shared connection without reducing the service of some users to benefit others.
___oDiN__
Grafter

Bark Bark

the package is signed up for was stated as UNLIMITED and UNRESTRICTED in the package description when i signed up.

Never mind contention ect ect thats what it said so thats what I and others who signed up expected.

Yes exchange contention "may" slow down the service at peak time, but that has nothing to do with usage limits which have now been imposed and enforced upon people who up until they were informed of such limits were under the impression they were on a unlimited/uncapped package.

Plusnet cannot deny that was the selling point of such packages and that nobody on such packages were specifically told of a 100 gb a month or 30gb peak period limit until the emails came in.

yes plusnet have covered themselves with "protecting the network" get out clause ect.. i dont see anyone denying this but the way i see it is this.

Plusnet should have sent a email to all customers stating:-

From X date due to high network usuage blagh blah we have seen it fit to introduce bandwith restriction on our packages.

These new restriction are as follows - ect ect stating what restrictions apply to what package - clearly defining the times peak usage is and what the maximum totals are allowed.

These new restriction should have been brought into force say 1 week from the day the customers were notified - this gives customers the time to read understand - rant- complain - leave - or question these new terms/conditions/restrictions.

The the new restrictions should be valid from the said date only and not applied retrospectivley to customers who up until that time didnt know or beleive they were using the service to any detriment or in any kind of breach or abuse of there contracts.

therefore customers shouldnt have any caps placed upon them for at least period of three months from that date.

That way they customer has been informed of such changes, has had time to query/complain/accept or leave and also has a proper chance to abide by or breach these new rules/restrictions if a breach has occured then the penalties can be applied as stated in the emails.

I think that is a fair and proper way to do this and nobody then can say "they didnt know or didnt understand" and that they will be fairly judged upon there usage from when it was annouced.

What do plusnet have to say about this?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Bark Bark

The broadband service has always been defined as a contended service in our Terms and Conditions which you have agreed to, both when you first signed up and the more recent changes.

The SUP has nothing to do with these new T&C's and is covered in the previous T&C's. All we have done in the new T&C's is clarify what we are doing to protect the vast majority of our customers from the very small group who are using their connections more in the manner of a commercial application.