cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth, schmandwidth

Dizzley
Grafter

Bandwidth, schmandwidth

I got myself pretty confused lately. I read that for users on Broadband Home products "You can change your bandwidth later for free, if your needs change."

I got confused between what you call speed and bandwidth.

The accepted definition of bandwidth is:
The maximum amount of data that can travel a communications path in a given time, usually measured in bits per second.

Try http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=define%3Abandwidth (Google search "define:bandwidth")

So, what you call speed is actually bandwidth.
What you call bandwidth is.... err, something else. "Download limit"?

Come on, sing: "You say tomato and I say tomato" :lol:

I'm slightly embarrassed but don't feel I ought to be. So I may have ordered the wrong upgrade. Shockedops:

/Pete
5 REPLIES
jberry
Grafter

Bandwidth, schmandwidth

Hi there,

This terminology has been adopted to go with the rest of the market - this thread on ADSLguide discusses this exact subject.

Regards,
Dizzley
Grafter

deja vu

Blimey! :shock: I didn't know I wasn't alone.

Just one thing... bandwidth isn't just a general purpose word... in IT/Comms it's a meaningful term pretty explicit what it means. Not useful to talk about it so sloppily. Don't mind using hacker and spam sloppily, they aren't useful industrially, but bandwidth is.

It's measured in (bits per second -> b)/s, kb/s, Mb/s etc, or perhaps bytes per second) ...never seen it measured in Gigabytes per month before Wink

Sometimes it means raw bits, sometimes it means "amount of information" which is a specific term related to entropy. So even this definition means that bandwidth is measured in bits per second...

e.g. "Empirically, it seems that entropy of English text is about 1.5 bits per character" see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_entropy

Other industry definition of bandwidth is the frequency spread in a broadband transmission channel - ironic ain't it? Wink

I'll continue my discussions on adslguide.co.uk.

/Diz
Community Veteran

Bandwidth, schmandwidth

I agree the use of the word bandwidth meaning how much data you can have in a week or month or year is very very wrong, there are about a million words that are better at describing it before using a word like bandwidth which I think is going to confuse a lot of people.

Data transfer limit or something along those lines would be the best description. I know limit sounds abit negative but at least it acurately describes it.
N/A

Bandwidth, schmandwidth

Bandwidth has been used for years to describe what should be called "Data transfer limit".

It isn't just in use by the new products from ISPs, but web hosts have used it for years on years.

Language evolves just the same as technology does, and whilst I agree it is wrong in this case, you can't attempt to re-educate customers, otherwise they end up looking more dumbfounded.

If you go with the trend, no metter how wrong, your at least on par.
Dizzley
Grafter

Shooting for the mediocre...

If you go with the trend, no metter how wrong, your at least on par.

Oh goody. I will aspire to be wrong, or at best mediocre. Wink Just trying to raise the average.

"I am shocked that half of our people are below average intelligence." :lol:

I agree that language evolves and I'm pleased it does. However, if the industry devalues its own terms we might as well give up now.

Enjoy! This is exactly what's wrong with this country, etc. etc..... Wink

Diz - bailing out to adslguide.co.uk ...trying...to...close.....thread....... . . . .[bandwidth exceeded!]