cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

Let's hope those complaining about the fairuse policy, and who are threatening to leave PlusNet, really DO leave, and we will all be better off for it.

There are always a few spoilers in any crowd, and hopefully this will move a few of them elsewhere.
76 REPLIES
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

If they want mega amounts of data they need an appropriate service. :roll:

I was amazed at my usage, I run a website dealing in video trailers etc and spend a lot of time uploading/checking etc and thought that I was a heavy user - I've rarely gone over 2 Gig a month and that's with a 20:1 at 1Mb.

To be honest I can't see how these people use so much data, they permanantly hooked up to Limewire or something?

Mike
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

I thought I was a heayish user (alhtough I'm quite skinny actually Cheesy )

I download a lot of large Software Updates etc.

But I've never used more than 3gb in one month! And I do have the odd occasion to use Limewire Wink
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

If they want mega amounts of data they need an appropriate service. :roll:

yep, like a nice half meg unlimited service?

I had one of those last month ...
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

What the hell is the point of signing up to unlimited broadband and not using it to its full potential? If all you do is surf, then you can get broadband for £13 or whatever. I download lots, so I pay more.
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

Whats the point of signing up to something you havn't read properly?

Where does it say "unlimited"?
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

yep, like a nice half meg unlimited service?

I had one of those last month ...

LOL :lol: That's funny dude.

I'm in a similar position, with 1Mb. It's funny that all the people on here saying that they are happy, don't actually use they bandwidth that they paid for. Well, I do and I don't think that just because I reach and maybe exceed the 50Gb a month limit that I'm some sort of satanic leecher.

I consider broadband to be a 24/7 high speed wide bandwidth service. That's what I pay for and that what I expect to get. I don't want to hear that most people use their 3Gb a month at the same time, ie during the day. It's not a surprise to me and I don't think that it was for plus.net either. I think they try to make out that it was in order to provide a less quality service for less money.

When they discussed the limit it was going to be 60-150Gb a month on 1Mb but when it's introduced it's only 50Gb. It's difficult not to be cynical about it all, especially since they can use there 'protect the network clause' in the T&C to justify service reductions to those users actually using the service. Bah. The only strange thing here is the people saying it’s a good thing. It won’t be when you actually start using BB properly or when the fair usage creeps downward because people can still use whatever they want for 4 months every 6 without getting cut off.
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

im sure it did say "unlimited" before it was recently changed Wink
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

No matter what it said, it still said its 50:1, and the T+Cs have always had fair usage policies.

It hasnt said unlimited for 6 months now. People who signed up before then, and are now feeling hard one by because its no longer 'unlimited' need a reality check. Business enviroments change, if you want a 1:1 connection, you go pay for one...
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

when i downgraded to 2mb home premier for 2mb Homeworker Pro I knew that it was gonna drop to 50:1 from 20:1, but what I didnt expect was btw, now u have to use upto this amount and no more.. I've never went above 100GB (hell, I've seen 1 month at 8gb) but the past 2 months the goalpost completely changed, remember, saying that we cost more for more use is a load of bull, MaxDSL is on the CBC Package (Capacity Based Charging) not UBC (Usage Based Charging) the only problem is that Plusnet doesnt have enough bandwidth to cover heavier users hence the AUP is kicking in...
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

Whats the point of signing up to something you havn't read properly?

Where does it say "unlimited"?

Where does it say "limited"? When I signed up, there was no mention of capping downloads, only the "causing defeciency to service" clause. I signed up here because my downloading would not be capped. I am currently exceeding the cap that will come in on April, yet I haven't been contacted and told to stop downloading, so I can only assume my activity is not detrimental to the service. To me, this is certainly not "limited" access. The Fair Use policy makes it limited.
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

I've only been a customer since November and I think the service has been brilliant. My worst month was 7gb and I did LOADS of stuff so I think the Fair Usage is...well... FAIR.
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

If plusnet has to buy more bandwith to cover everyone using their connections at 1:1 or even 2:1 then obviously WE would have to foot the bill!!! Not made of money now are they?

The fair usage policy has been in from the start, therefore you signed up for a limited product form the start, using your logic.
N/A

Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

At 1:1, it works out above £600 per month per 2Mb customer, just for the wholesale cost of the data transfer (to gurantee it, not to actualy transfer it, not transfer of it doesn't incure further cost).

The are other Wholesale and ISP related costs to slot on top of that.
michaelscott
Grafter

Re: Bandwidth hogs...goodbye

Let's hope those complaining about the fairuse policy, and who are threatening to leave PlusNet, really DO leave, and we will all be better off for it.

There are always a few spoilers in any crowd, and hopefully this will move a few of them elsewhere.

I use 100GB a month and I'm staying Tongue