cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Management

N/A

Bandwidth Management

Hm, I posted this in what I thought was the best forum, but the thread was locked, so I guess I was wrong Cheesy

To quote myself: "I don't know where to put my comment in - so it goes here (better than starting a new thread). I'm one of those tagged as a "heavy user". I get throttled - and I'm not happy about it. I will soon find the time to go find myself another service. I have the highest level of service Plus.NET offer - I thought it was unlimited, and it's not (well, unlimited data, but at the speeds I end up on, my old ISDN line was getting overall better performace.).

If I had better understood how Plus.NET worked, they wouldn't have gotten my business in the first place. And YES - I'm taking some of the blame for that - more research on my part might well have saved me some grief.

Regardless - I like how PLUS.NET works, and have previously recommended them to others. Last week a friend asked me whom to go with for Broadband - and it was the first time I recommended AGAINST plus.net. They have good service, they seem like nice people and all - and I'm not complaining about the price. However - getting slammed down to 128kb isn't on I'm afraid.

It's all about choice. I guess I'll just have to make mine. Pity."

I will add - if plus.net don't want people who download gigs of data - they should just say so. I read in another thread that plus.net consider themselves open about the throttling - well, I beg to differ. I just went to their front page and followed the links into the premier service - four clicks in, and no detail. It's hidden pretty deep people!

I look into these features: "Up to 2Mb broadband as standard - up to 40x times faster than dial-up*
Super-fast up to 4Mb and up to 8Mb speeds now available**
Get the security of a fixed monthly payment
Ideal for experienced, serious Internet users
Suitable for homes with more than one PC
A great all-round service"

Most of that is right - but "Ideal for experienced, serious Internet users" obviously isn't Cheesy

I can be emailed on david-watts@hotmail.com for those whom can offer advice.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Bandwidth Management

Hm - I just checked after I clicked a link from another post. I'm not at the highest level of service as claimed. For that I need to go to 40 quid a month. Ouch.
JonathanW
Grafter

Bandwidth Management

All of the information about traffic management is linked from the Premier product description pages. And whilst this isn't published in big letters on the front of the website, it is made available on relevant pages of the site.
N/A

Bandwidth Management

There is no point in getting into a battle over it, i understand. However - with due respect - it might be there, but it's well hidden, imo. Let's see.

Go to main page. CLICK.
Broadband premier: CLICK
Product Usage: CLICK
Network Traffic Management: CLICK
Select product: CLICK

And from there - there's no link if this isn't good enough for you - no way to find out about a better service level - which you have, but didn't even try to sell me.

Regardless, that's five clicks. So yes - it's there, but it's not simply that it's not on the front page (if it were, you'd be afraid it scared people off), it's that is quite deep within the site.

I'm not expert - but I have worked on teams putting web sites together. You'd only ever put something five clicks on if you didn't want people to read it. Worse - you never got that extra cash from you because you didn't inform me about better products. Weird.

I don't expect anything to change - but please take this as constructive criticism. As I said earlier, a friend had just moved back to the UK a couple weeks ago. Now I'm informed about how you work I could warn him off - since he too wuld come under the "heavy user" criteria you outline. That's how it should be - inform us, let us make the choice.
JonathanW
Grafter

Bandwidth Management

The dropdown on the traffic management page stays in place, even after you've used it once to select a product, so you can look at all of them.

As for its location within the site, it's linked from the product description pages, something that a prospective customer would probably read through fully before choosing a package.
N/A

Bandwidth Management

Probably - but I didn't at least. Other players - BT for example - were far more upfront about their offering and what it contained. Here it is - sorry - buried.

Still, it's just makiing a point. Having read through your forums (something else I should have done before signing up!) I can see I'm not only one bothered by it. Let alone the usenet discussion. If ever people needed reason to think again......

Anyhoo - we won't ever agree on this. I feel cheated, but to a point you've offered good service. Plus.net just isn't a good choice for people who use the Internet more than my mother. Thanks for that - but a big raspberry for the rest Wink
N/A

Bandwidth Management

Well they changed my service and never even told me! Hows that for hidden?

I called the service line and itll only cost me 15 quid to leave so its just where to go. It looks like most ISPs will be introducing throttling, which is a pain but Im more interested in a clean reliable connection for the bandwidth I do have which is the problem with Plusnet at the minute.
N/A

Bandwidth Management

And PlusNet (including Jon) have openly said that they know the current system is complicated and are aiming to simplify things. This should make the customers, and PlusNet staff's lives easier Wink
N/A

Bandwidth Management

I'm sure they get tired of posts like mine - but there's nowhere else to make the point. If other vendors are bandwidth throttling then why not put it up on the front page and let us know why plus.net is better and compares?

I'd consider upgrading - but for extra 20 gig I have to pay almost twice as much (21 quid to 40 quid), and it's not worth that, imo.

Apologies to those tired of comments such as mine that started the thread. This blindsided me, and yes, it's partly my fault.