cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bandwidth Calculations

steed
Grafter

Bandwidth Calculations

Can someone please explain how to work out the bandwidth my website uses.

When I look at my webstats Daily Statistics for June 2004 is states under the KBytes section the following:

Day 1 183426 KBytes
Day 2 143230 KBytes
Day 3 163717 KBytes
Day 4 171293 KBytes

I thought to calculate the daily bandwidth in MB (since you are allowed 250 MB per day) you would divide the numbers above by 1024 to get the MB value, and that the above would translate into:

Day 1 179 MB
Day 2 140 MB
Day 3 160 MB
Day 4 167 MB

Which would mean I am under the 250 MB daily limit. Are my calculations or conversion figures wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
5 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Bandwidth Calculations

Looks fine to me...
Community Veteran

Bandwidth Calculations

Yup, that's seems fine... I haven't checked the numbers with a calculator, but they look correct, and the method is correct anyway.

Thomas
steed
Grafter

Bandwidth Calculations

Thanks for the replies.

I asked because I received an email form PlusNet stating that I was exceeding the daily bandwidth limit and to reduce it by removing large files, and/or ones that are frequently accessed.

In the email they give different figures indicating more than the 250MB limit each day for the same days (June 1st to 4th).

Is therefore the webstats completely usesless at monitoring the bandwidth I use since the figures listed are not the same as the ones PlusNet emailed me?

How can I monitor the bandwidth usage if webstats indicate that I am not over the limit but PlusNet say I am?

Anyone from PlusNet like to explain the apparent discrepancy, or have I completely misunderstood the statistics?
csogilvie
Grafter

Bandwidth Calculations

Only PlusNet can answer that... it may be best to raise a link:Contact Us ticket. However, please not that your bandwidth includes the CGI, and any other domains you have hosted, so if you have more than one Webstats log file (eg www.username.plus.com, cgi.username.plus.com), you need to add the KBytes from each log file together...
lhorwath
Grafter

Bandwidth Calculations

Hi there,

Yeah, I think the best thing would be to raise a ticket for us to investigate further. The webstats should be working ok, but we will look into it for you.

kind regards

Luke