cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Background traffic on VMBU

theoule
Grafter

I've just been told by support that 13MB of usage over an 8 hour period is due to background traffic. Seems a lot to me, can anyone else confirm?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Seems to be highly excessive. If you subscribe to the plusnet.service.customer-feedback newsgroup, you will find many people with larger discrepancies, even with the router switched off!!

It is not acceptable for F9 to state that amount of usage is "background", if you were a PAYG customer or even a BB+ customer, that is quite a lot out of your paid for allowance. The VMBU tool does not work correctly. It records excessive amounts of usage and does not reset for some customers at the end of the month, thus causing restrictions on their accounts. IMO, F9 really should be looking into this as a extremely serious matter and correctly programming their ellacoyas. Failing that, I can see many complaints to Ofcom in the near future and then they will have to justify where al this spurrious usage comes from.

I take it you don't have a unsecured wireless network that the next door neighbours could have found out about?
theoule
Grafter

Thanks for the reply.
I am on PAYG, though the usage is in my free period between midnight and 8, so I'm not paying for it. I am concerned though, because I have no confidence that my paid for usage is not being calculated with the same inaccuracy.
Also, I have a wireless router, and originally suspected it might be insecure, but have checked encryption etc, and all seems OK.
If I get allowed bandwidth of 2GB a month, and I'm seeing 13MB of background traffic over 8 hours, am I right in thinking that that adds up to over half my monthly allowance? Or have I got my megs and gigs confused.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

13MB is a little on the high side for background traffic but isn't beyond the possibilities. Whenever the router is connected there will also be traffic counted. To keep the connection up there will be small amounts of ATM data and keep alive traffic. There will also be random pings, probes, virus scans and other traffic that just bounces off your firewall. If you ever run a server on your connection (be it a web, ftp or gaming server) or use P2P then people can still try and connect to you after you turn it off. For example, with BitTorrent your IP may still be cached in other users' clients for several hours after you disconnect and each time they try and connect to you. If your PC was switched on during that time then some of the usage could be the PC checking and downloading Windows updates, or AV updates or other software that is set to auto-update.

VMBU is really just a guide and isn't accurate to the minute. The data is processed in batches every 30 minutes so it's perfectly possible for a few minutes of usage just before midnight or just after 8am to be included within the free usage period.
theoule
Grafter

Hi,

13MB is a little on the high side for background traffic but isn't beyond the possibilities. Whenever the router is connected there will also be traffic counted. To keep the connection up there will be small amounts of ATM data and keep alive traffic. There will also be random pings, probes, virus scans and other traffic that just bounces off your firewall. .

Yesterdays has now been increased to 15.13MB

If you ever run a server on your connection (be it a web, ftp or gaming server) or use P2P then people can still try and connect to you after you turn it off. For example, with BitTorrent your IP may still be cached in other users' clients for several hours after you disconnect and each time they try and connect to you. If your PC was switched on during that time then some of the usage could be the PC checking and downloading Windows updates, or AV updates or other software that is set to auto-update. .

I've never run a server, don't use bittorrent. I've looked into auto updates etc, but at the time I had Zonealarm set to "stop all internet access"

VMBU is really just a guide and isn't accurate to the minute. The data is processed in batches every 30 minutes so it's perfectly possible for a few minutes of usage just before midnight or just after 8am to be included within the free usage period.

Well, there seems to be something going wrong. VMBU this morning was showing 5MB paid usage for yesterday 21st, and now it shows 118.23MB. Todays paid usage is showing zero, even though I listened to half an hour audio streaming at 9:30 this morning.