cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT to map braodband demand - YIPPEE!!

N/A

BT to map braodband demand - YIPPEE!!

BT is to create a nation-wide database to map demand for broadband in the UK.

The monster telco wants punters and businesses to register their interest in receiving ADSL.

If enough people in each area are prepared to subscribe to ADSL - then BT will go-ahead and upgrade exchanges for broadband.

BT claims the database will create a "true barometer of demand" in areas where it claims that, up until now, it has not been commercially viable to upgrade to broadband.

Said BT Wholesale chief exec Paul Reynolds: "People have been claiming that there is sufficient demand for broadband in their areas if only they had a way to channel their interest to us. Now we have created just such a scheme.

"Businesses and consumers can register their interest with service providers who will record it on the broadband registration database.

"The demand and the target levels will be clearly visible to all and will help individuals, communities, local authorities and service providers to have a direct impact on broadband roll out."

BT Wholesale's broadband database will go live on July 1. It will also publish the threshold at which the level of demand makes individual exchanges commercially viable for broadband upgrade.

Depending on the exchange, thresholds range from 200 to 500 user registrations. ®
4 REPLIES
Sheepdog
Grafter

RE: BT to map braodband demand - YIPPEE!!

> BT is to create a nation-wide database to map demand for broadband in the UK.
>
> The monster telco wants punters and businesses to register their interest in receiving ADSL.
>
> If enough people in each area are prepared to subscribe to ADSL - then BT will go-ahead and upgrade exchanges for broadband.
>
> BT claims the database will create a "true barometer of demand" in areas where it claims that, up until now, it has not been commercially viable to upgrade to broadband.
>
> Said BT Wholesale chief exec Paul Reynolds: "People have been claiming that there is sufficient demand for broadband in their areas if only they had a way to channel their interest to us. Now we have created just such a scheme.
>
> "Businesses and consumers can register their interest with service providers who will record it on the broadband registration database.
>
> "The demand and the target levels will be clearly visible to all and will help individuals, communities, local authorities and service providers to have a direct impact on broadband roll out."
>
> BT Wholesale's broadband database will go live on July 1. It will also publish the threshold at which the level of demand makes individual exchanges commercially viable for broadband upgrade.
>
> Depending on the exchange, thresholds range from 200 to 500 user registrations. ®

Yes but look at previous upgraded exchanges 1100 and 250000 people subcribed so 227 per exchange (some city ones prob lot more) so some very empty now all new ones must meet a certain figure prob nearer 400-500 to be even considered. This is not fair on all us who cannot get adsl. BT prob won't advertise database that well and adsl sells from experience of using it as I have seen myself. All this looks like delaying tactics and I can see adsl take up dropping off quite steeply as people discover they need so many people to sign up just for BT to look further at their exchange. Also BT state that the exchange will be added to their roll out list which is "within the next 3 years" so when it will happen is unkown.
N/A

Hi,

Just to let you know that this issue has been highlighted and that we will be pursuing this news further in terms of what can be done to try and deliver the service to our users who currently cannot have the service due to exchange incompatibility. We will update you further as any relevant information is forthcoming.

Kind Regards,

Neil Minor
PlusNet Customer Support.

N/A

That's fine updating us.

Why don't PlusNet put some of that legendary customer service to action and pre-empt BT. Get a "adsl demand database" going of your own, then bombard BT with requests to activate local exchanges. Make the results public, shame BT if you have to.
N/A

An interesting idea Craig, though I'm not sure what the implications would be of this.

It must be said that BT are enabling more and more exchanges for ADSL as demand grows and they are working further and further afield as it were.

I was facing the prospect a few months back of a dial up connection forever with no hope of ADSL at all. All of a sudden, my exchange was enabled and I was able to connect!

Keep checking the ADSL availability checker and you never know, you just may be next!

Best Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Customer Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+