cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT test page

crimsone
Grafter

BT test page

I keep getting that darned page. It's not on everything now, which is good, but it's still very annoying.

What's bugging me is that there's no consistancy. One moment I can access certan pages but not others, other times I can access other pages but not the ones could open before.

MSIE can't open google.co.uk, but firefox can.

One minute my email works, the next minute it doesn't, then it does, then only accounts on certain domains...

This is driving me nuts!

Ok, I know PN are investigating, so the announcement says. I just felt the need to rant about it and mention how the problem is affecting me (ie, randomly and frequently)
3 REPLIES
N/A

BT test page

This is caused by one or more of the DNS server addresses sent to you during your initial connection, being incorrect.

Instead of being assigned 2 Plusnet DNS server addresses, you are assigned one or more BT DNS servers and a PlusNet one.

As your computer randomly alternates between using these servers, it tus randomly returns incorrect results. These results lead to the BT page you are seeing.

What is worse is that each time a computer performs one of these lookups, it caches the entry. So for a certain time after looking at the site, the cache is used, rather than a fresh lookup, ruining the chances of getting the right address.

The quickest and most non-techy way to fix this is to shut all your computers and ADSL equipment download.

You can then turn your ADSL modem on first, and after it has loaded, your computers.

This should get your equipment to obtain the correct details, in the most propper way. If this does fail, reply here, as there are some other things that can be tried, from forcing your computer to obtain details, through to manualy configuring it.
N/A

nice

Well, my DNS addresses are right, my email and web connection settings are also right...but I get the same problems, and so are others (see other threads).
crimsone
Grafter

BT test page

indeed. My DNS server addresses were perfectly correct.

However, I had attempted to connect during the msintenance period and gottent both a BT IP and BT DNS. Obviously I rebooted before I could connect with my own IP and PN DNS again.

I dind't have to powercycle the router. I just restarted the ADSL on it, then I opened a command prompt and typed ipconfig /flushdns. Everything has been fine since then.

Many thanks for the help.