cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speedtest

lockettpots
Grafter

BT speedtest

Forgive me for being broadband unaware but I've now been on max for 12 days and I'm getting really disappointing speeds, worse than my old 2 meg connection, often below 500 speeds.

However a test through BT speedtester gave me a 5000+ throughput (I assume that means the download speed). From other posts I understand that the BT test bypasses the IP connection and that this indicates that lower speeds when connected normally (through PN) are due to 'faults' at the IP end.

A ticket (sorry question) to support produced what seems to be the stock response " connect to main socket, blah blah".

Now this is my question to you broadband savvies. If I can get 5000+ through the BT tester then surely this means that the setup at my end is OK? Or am I barking up the wrong tree (or even barking mad)?
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT speedtest

What is your stable rate (or data rate) set to?

If this is less than 4500 then your Bras profile may be stuck limiting your throughput speed. You need to raise a question and state this is wrong.
lockettpots
Grafter

BT speedtest

The link produces

Your current broadband speed is 7000 Kbps

BT speedtest gives:-
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:

IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5402 kbps

Router gives
SNR Margin	12.4	26.0	dB

Line Attenuation 13.2 8.5 dB
Errored Seconds 1 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 5 0
Data Rate 7616 448 kbps
Latency INTERLEAVED INTERLEAVED
Community Veteran

BT speedtest

Hmmm.. all those figures look good and match each other correctly so from that point of view none of those will be affecting your speed. Your line condition is actually excellent.

What are you using to test your line speed to give you the 500Kbs ish throughput?

Try downloading the 15MB file from http://www/btopenworld.com/speedtest and watch the download speed (it should settle down after it has downloaded data for a while). For a 7000Kbs line rate this will probably max out at about 650KBs.

You need to post all that info in a question and ask for it to be raised a a fault as something is limiting your throuput.
lockettpots
Grafter

BT speedtest

It was the BT speedtest that gave me the throughput figure.

Downloading the file finished at 123Kbs