cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT speed tester

N/A

BT speed tester

Hi,

I've been having trouble with my adsl connection lately and as such have been asked to run the BT speed tester at various times between 12am and 7am.

Now actually doing this is a right pain in the a**e cause I like to sleep at night :-)

So I've written a small utility that takes care of these tests and lets me get some sleep!

Would this be of use to anyone else?

drewy
11 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

BT speed tester

Upload it to your webspace and post the address to it. Am sure a few ppl would find it useful.
overide

BT speed tester

Yes, would love a copy.

Thanks
N/A

BT speed tester

I'll get it posted some place in a while (hopefully tonight), just throwing some basic instructions together.
N/A

BT speed tester

It's at

http://www.drewy.com/Downloads/cat_view.html

let me know how you get on with it.
overide

BT speed tester

Thanks Drewy,

I'll give it a test tonight and I'll let you know how I get on.
N/A

BT speed tester

Made a mistake with the readme.txt file that comes with it.....full text should be as follows....amending the zip file now. Sorry :-(

Speed test Scheduler

Requirements

Windows
Internet Explorer

Purpose

This very basic utility allows the user to run any number of BT speedtests while away from their computer. BT like these tests to be run at night so that the effects of contention are not included in the results.

All it does is open Internet Explorer at user set intervals and navigate to the speed tester URL. The test then runs and IE displays the results. Each time the test is set to run it opens another IE window...so don't go mad. I'd recommend something like 10 tests set at 30 minute intervals.

The log window will log the time that each test was run, but the only way (at present) to connect the actaul time to the result is to step back through the open IE windows....

Use

Make sure that you have configured your adsl modem or router to connect to the BT speedtest account.
To do this you need to alter the logon settings. Change the account/username to speedtest@speedtest_domain, Make sure the password field is blank.

Run the speed test scheduler by doulble clicking on speed.exe.
Click on the "Browser" button and navigate through your file system to find the internet explorer executable. This is usually in the c:\program files\internet explorer folder. Double click on the iexplore.exe file.

Open Internet explorer. In a few moments your modem router should connect and you will get a page not found error. The BT speedtest account will only allow access to the speedtester, you will not have access to any other sites etc. while your modem/router is configured to use this account.

In the URL bar enter the following URL

http://217.35.209.142

and hit enter.

The speed test page should now load. Enter your phone number where prompted and click on the go button. The speedtest will now run. Click on your browser STOP button before the page finishes loading. While this page is being displayed, copy the entire URL out of internet explorer and paste it into the "URL of speedtest" field in the Speed Test Scheduler. This URL WILL contain your phone number!

Next use the up and down arrows to set the "Times to Run" and "Interval" (in minutes).

When your ready to go click on the OK button.
The utility can be closed at any time by either clicking on the "Close" button or the red cross.

I'd recommend you try the program (1 or 2 tests at 5 minute intervals) before you retire and leave it to runover night.
Community Veteran

BT speed tester

Could it be modified to work with other browserrs such as firefox?
N/A

BT speed tester

I wanted to use it with firefox initially, but everytime it try's to open another firefox window with the same url as one that is already open....it doesn't, just hijacks the currently open window.

I expect there's a command line switch to force open another window.....but since most/all windows users will have IE installed I took the cowards way out and used that :-)
Community Veteran

BT speed tester

Fair enough!
N/A

BT speed tester

was this of any use to anyone?
cassuki
Rising Star

BT speed tester

Only just seen this so haven't used it yet, but I wish I'd seen your post while I was having problems. I'd put a message in the feedback forum asking for advice but got no replies. My connection has now somehow miraculously cured itself this morning despite not having heard anything from CS and BT saying there was no fault.

I will download it though and keep it to hand in case my problem returns, because I've no idea what was going on and whether the current state is just a remission and it will return to its previous sorry state!