cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT session Trials

Mand
Grafter

BT session Trials

BT have just announced that the increased session trial has completed successfully thanks to testing with ourselves. We'll therefore be able to increase the sessions on the two remaining 622's next month to give a better spread across the pipes. Increased sessions is available to ISP's from 2nd May.

This means that we can have increased open sessions on each central pipe, meaning more customers can share available bandwidth.
53 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

BT session Trials

I'm sure this must be good news, but what does it mean for ordinary Premier customers, in plain English? Tongue
Mand
Grafter

BT session Trials

In real terms it should mean a better service and a better distribution of available bandwidth.

It really just means that at present if the pipe is using its maximum number of sessions no other sessions can be opened, even if the customer at the other end is idle.

For example at present the max number of connections is 25600, so theoretically if all these customers use routers they could be connected but not actually using any bandwidth. Going forward we will be able to have upto 32000 connections on each pipe, meaning that any bandwidth not being used will be utilised by extra connections.

Apologies for the 'geek speak' in the initial post, I should have made things a bit clearer from the outset Smiley
Alecto
Grafter

BT session Trials

Clear as crystal now Mand, thank you.
Well done. Tongue
N/A

BT session Trials

:?

Does this mean that you will be able to get more people onto each pipe sharing a limited amount of bandwidth?

In effect we will see slower speeds?

Or have I got that all wrong and should go back to sleep?
Mand
Grafter

BT session Trials

It means the bandwidth we have should be better utilised as explained above.

It also means with the network automation we have ongoing that the network should be better managed, essentially meaning a better service for all.
Alecto
Grafter

BT session Trials

Never mind Mand, there's always somebody who doesn't see putting 32,000 people onto a pipe instead of 25,000, as good news. :lol:
N/A

BT session Trials

with the network automation we have ongoing that the network should be better managed.

Has that actually rolled out yet? I know the plan/aim was to get it done for the start of the new products at the end of last month, but there wasn't really any sort of announcement to say if that had happened or not?

Is it live now, and are we experiencing the benefits of it?
Mand
Grafter

BT session Trials

It's ongoing, as you are moved onto the new product you will move onto the new platform.
N/A

BT session Trials

I'm on the new product as mine was an April 3rd billing date, so I guess the Ellacoya automation system (I forget the exact name they gave it - something like that) is working on my account now then? Smiley
JonathanW
Grafter

BT session Trials

Yes, if you were billed on the 3rd then your account will have been changed over. But the best thing to do is check Account Summary, which is under Account Details, as it will tell you what account you are currently on.
N/A

BT session Trials

Yep that says I'm on Premier Option 1 and I had the forced re-authentication, but I was just wondering if the ellacoya automation part of the work by PN had been completed in time for the product changeovers, but I guess from what Mand has said, it has been which is cool Smiley
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

BT session Trials

I think the forced re-authentication was to get you onto the automated system. I'm guessing the automation of the network wont be 100% efficient though till everyone is using it though?

Phil
N/A

BT session Trials

I'd guess you're right yes, because it'd need everyone being managed in the way they're wanting for it to work fully. I suppose where those already on it will benefit is getting the automated emails at certain usage levels, and also having the management applied/lifted quicker than the manual method, which will be useful before everyone is on the new products.
Mand
Grafter

BT session Trials

You will indeed benefit from this by having any management applied and lifted immediately andfrom receive emails as and when things happen.