cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT's stable rate and how to change

N/A

Okay, lots of different suggestions floating around, mainly from F9 FAQ's and staff.

If the ten days have passed and you are still not seeing any increase in download speed, then you should try rebooting your equipment periodically over a 3 day period. In the event that you are still seeing no difference in speed then you should contact support so we can investigate further..

This is the speed that BT are telling us you should expect on your line. If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.

Please be advised that BT have reported your speed to be at a maximum sustainable rate of 500kbps.

Please be advised that this will only increase if your router synchs up at a higher speed for more than three days running.

So, one person in the FAQ's and the portal guide at the stable rate page state regular disconnections and the CS agent tells me the line has to stay synched.

Who, what, when, whereHuhHuh?? So has my disconnecting regularly contributed to my low speed? Conflicting information is as bad as no information.

Mark
24 REPLIES
carpangler
Grafter

Now I haven't been upgraded yet, but as I work away for upto 2 weeks at a time, I have no easy way of rebooting my equipment.

What would happen if I was updated whilst working away, and the I miss this 10 day learnign curve.

Everything about this 'learning' assumes you are at home for those 10 days and can reboot/power on/ioff equipment.

Any thoughts on this as when I get regraded (nexy century at this rate!), I don't want to be told later that I missed this '10 day learning' thing.

Cheers
N/A

This regrade has now just got total stupid.

During the regarde process, I was getting anywhere between 3500 -4500 Kbps. It was up & down but sometimes got as long as 16 hours stable.

Low & behold, I have got it stable but I how have the speed equal to 0.5 meg line. What the HELL is going on. I how have a line speed 25% of what I had before the regrade. Surely the regarde was went to increase it, not decrease it.

F9, you trying to explain to 2 teenage stepsons why they cant play on runescape because it lags so bad.

I did the BT speedtester & it says my speed is 240Kbps. It is bloodly laughable.

I submitted a ticket, explaining all the above but got it returned saying " BT say that your connection is fine" Just goes to show that no one actually reads anything now adays.

The company I work for do 1st query resolution, how about F9 doing the same.

I will like to see what F9 support say about this. You can even come to my house & explain it to my two lads :-)

A very annoyed person.
ukbrown
Grafter

Please note:

The stable speeds are updated in blocks of 500

This is official,
N/A

Hi,

Note: DSL MAX is different from the previous upgrade, MAX is rate adaptive technology which means the line speed is automatically adjusted on the fly in order to give the best rate possible given the line conditions. Line conditions being things like line SNR (signal to noise ratio), attentuation, line length or distance from the exchange, contention ratio's at the exchange & on F9's network,etc,etc.

**The MSR (maxium stable rate) as far as I can see has no bearing on the actual line speeds you will get. You can prove this by running a line speed test either at the F9 portal or by using a third party test site such as ADSL guide's tester. For example my MSR was quoted as 7.6megs but speed tests only showed 4.5megs.

**The MSR & your actual line speed, this gets re-set or re-adjusted each day anyway at 8am & again at 8pm F9 have stated this quite clearly.

**F9 have also said that quote: for a small number of customers you may see speeds lower than expected. MAX doesnt guarentee that you will get higher speeds even though you would think so, given that its touted as upto 8megs. Hence some very upset & angry customers who discovered they got less than the 2megs ADSL they were on before. Cry

**Actually saying 8megs is not accurate either, VERY VERY few people will ever see a real 8megs. 8Megs is only the theoretical maximum possible speed. Why? because there are TCP/IP overheads which take a small % of the bandwidth in order to guarentee the connection quality i.e. that the data sent is the data received.

Ivan
N/A

Well ADSL max is giving us problems again, about 2 weeks ago we had intermittent connection problems. that had gone away and our connection was stable and fast, its now been nearly a month since we were "upgraded" and yesterday guess what happens.

We start another bout of intermittent connection... which is still going on now. ADSL max is a disaster, Why would it be syncing again when everything is fine, Its just rediculous.
N/A

MAX is rate adaptive technology which means the line speed is automatically adjusted on the fly in order to give the best rate possible given the line conditions.

From a reply on the +Net newsgroup.

BT's speed profiling will be applied within 75 minutes of your line synching below your current speed, even if only for a short while. It will not however be increased again for 3- 4 days!! (This is supposed to have changed but CS are not convinced).

Mark
ukbrown
Grafter

F9 will throttle your connection to whatever the stable rate says. IF your router says 8000 and the stable rate is 512 you get 512.

F9 care to qualify this with a yes or no
N/A

F9 don't need to qualify it. That is exactly what happened to me. Although the router was synching at (lowest) 1800, (highest) 2725, the BT "stable rate" was 500 and added to my account overnight. It took a lot of aggro to get it lifted as the automated "script" wasn't working. James reset it for me manually eventually.

Mark
N/A

Gemtravel,
I am also having disconnections everyday since i hvae been maxed (tuesday 4th I think). I have not been informed of any changes to my connection, i only realised, when i logged into my router.
Where do the problems lie with constant disconnections, it is usually stable in the morning and then from about 3.00pm, i keep losing connection. It's very annoying as i can hardly collect my emails.I have lost connection even now as i write this!
Force9 have not even mentioned anything about disconnections and the possible causes. Is there a fault on the line, or is it my router, i have no idea. I had no trouble with my 2mb connection.
Should i contact force9 or should i just wait a bit longer. My 10 day training period is finishing tomorrow.
Also can anyone tell me what modulation type is needed for MAXdsl?
Any help would be great. Cheesy
ukbrown
Grafter

It would be nice if the publicised this fact a bit clearer. Even Ivan is not getting this at the minute :lol:
N/A

Hi wtfitzpatrick,

YES! the actual modulation type for DSL MAX =G.DMT (allows upto 8megs)

Ivan
N/A

Hi,

So for example's sake, my sync speed on my connection tonight says 6.2Mbps but my portal MSR shows only 5500kbps (5.5megs). But speed test results from ADSL Guides speed tester shows the following:-

Speed Test Results

Downstream 3,681.4 Kbps ( = 3.6 Mbps )
Upstream 374.1 Kbps ( = 0.4 Mbps )

Ivan
N/A

Hi Cyteck,
Thanks for the help with the modulation type.
Could anyone who is posting or reading this topic tell me if they are suffering with very sporadic connections? I have disconnections every day since is was Maxed, yet before i was maxed my line was very stable.
N/A

Hi wtfitzpatrick,

Sounds like that might be worth openning a support ticket on that one? You shouldnt be seeing constant drops or disocnnections. My service was Maxed and I havent had a single drops since. So I would definately contact F9 too see if they can run some line diagnostics or perhaps you could run the broadband checker from the portal yourself initially?

Ivan