cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT connection is faster than Plusnet

N/A

I joined the trial of the BT connection which required a simple change on my router.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55280

At first the speeds were the same, I did not want a static IP so I stayed.

I just did another test on www.speedtest.net and here are the results.

Plusnet Connection

BT Connection
6 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

For me the RIN experience has not been any different to my normal connection (I trialled it extensively before we offered it, and have connected in the last couple of days on RIN).

Have you tried a different PlusNet gateway? Can you do a further comparison during the evening? I'd be interested to find out if you still see the difference then.
N/A

erm let me think here ....i don't think i'll swap to BT Cheesy Cheesy
Aterlatus
Grafter

Damn you all, blip logic strikes again...

Ahh well, only another day to wait and my downstream should be faster than my upstream again.. Shocked
Community Veteran

You arent alone stesherlock. That looks very similar to my result.

For me there is little difference between the networks - they are both pants for me, but as I highly suspect the cause of this problem is at the exchange, Im not surprised.
Aterlatus
Grafter

It's down to what they call blip logic, which is a part of IPStream Max. A couple of slow connections because of solar flares or some other rubbish and it ties you to something rock bottom, 135kbps in my case, for three to five days.

Given the only alternative is Virgin Media, I think I'll just suffer with it unless it becomes a regular occurence.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@tracer

Switching to the BT network you will not get any slower speeds. You will go through all the same wires as far as the RAS (these are all tunnelled on the PN connection so you don't see them on a tracert). But from there you can go direct to a destination without all the traffic being routed through telehouse in London. It is usual to find that latency (ping times) are somewhat lower on the RIN network (depending upon the destination) and that while the actual speedtest speeds are very little different, everything feels a lot snappier.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)