Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Interesting read....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30755

Be good to see what speeds I get after my regrade!!!!

Can PlusNET clear any of this up...Huh
39 REPLIES
N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

I can confirm that I am seeing this also, syncing at 6112/448 but speed test indicates slightly slower (!) than 2 meg line. speeds up and down appear to be identical to what I was getting previously on my 2mb line.

Go figure!
N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Would be interesting to know if all regarders are getting this.... wonder what PlusNET have to say.... and here's me thinking it may have just been an isolated case....!!!

I remember when I got 2mb... that my router said 2mb.. but I clearly had not been increased from the 512k I was on... this was sorted after a few days when the request was fully acitoned.
N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Haven't had time to read up but it seems it will take a few days to work out your stable speed, and the bt radius severs take a while to catch up? In saying this, I can't understand how you can sync faster but not see quicker (d/l etc) speeds.
N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Having a read on the adsl guide it appears only zen customers have been seeing 8mb upgrades so far.

Like most I'm seeing slightly slower than 2mb down, but my upload speed is now 47kb/s as shown-

Downstream 1798 Kbps (224.8 KB/sec) 1941 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 379 Kbps (47.4 KB/sec) 409 Kbps (inc. overheads)

I did as suggested and rebooted the router from the web interface (not unplugging it) and this increased my upload speed to the above. Could be worth remembering, wonder how long it's going to take to sort this all out?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

I think the BT spec actually says it will take 3 days for the BRAS to update, but in the trials it was more like the 75 mins as in the article linked to. So I guess no one can really complain till after the 3 days is up.

Phil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Hi,

There's actually three places where your speed will be set, there's the sync speed between you and your exchange, there's the throughput setting on BT's side and there's the throughput at the ISP.

The throughput setting on BT's side is likely the one that is causing the speeds to still be at 2Mbps. This should auto adjust within about 75 minutes of the first connection on DSLMax but it looks like in some cases it's taking longer, likely because of the number of DSLMax orders that have completed in the first few days.

I'd have thought once DSLMax orders become the norm that this will happen a lot quicker.
N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Well, Ive now got my router in sync, and can confirm:

DownStream Connection Speed 8128 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

I have done a couple of tests which confirm that the upload speed has increased, but the download speed is the same as my 2mb connection.

I was expecting that if the upstream had increased, then the downstream would have also, but this appears not to be the case...

Is this normal, am I still waiting for the regrade to complete??

Thanks
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Hi,

I've just added this to the FAQ, in some cases it's taking longer than normal for the backend on BT's systems to update and increase the throughput speed. This should normally be done within 75 minutes of you syncing up for the first time, but in som cases it's taking longer. They are advising up to 3 days.

This isn't going to be the norm, but it is something that's known about and BT are working on speeding things up.

As an aside, nice to see the full 8Mbps on the sync speed, do you know what you line stats are now (and before if possible)?
Community Veteran

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

As an aside, nice to see the full 8Mbps on the sync speed, do you know what you line stats are now (and before if possible)?

That would be realy interesting Cool
N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Actually, isn't 8mb 8192 not 8128?
willhome
Grafter

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

clearly hes not getting full speed Tongue
N/A

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

Downstream 1897 Kbps (237.1 KB/sec) 2048 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 367 Kbps (45.9 KB/sec) 396 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Weird the way my upstream has increased.. Oh well, guess I will hav to wait a few more days to realise the effects. Also glad my exchange is about 200m from where I live, so that should help!!!!
lank111
Grafter

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

i heard some where, loyal customers would get priority?
im on the premier 2Mbit - i relise all the people on the pre registered 8Mbit packages will come first, but when will the rest be transfered?
i've been a customer since 2002
n would love faster net access as it will prob hit the 2mbit mark!
(as at the mo, im on 150k - 1Mbit and its realli annoying!)

like at the mo, traffic managment has crippled a download from a website, its a 45Mb MP3 file that was recorded at a event i was at, its not P2P, jus stanard http! and its need downloading at 996 BYTES/sec - thats slower than dial up!

a m8 on wanadoo has got it in few mins! mines taking 14 hours! (13% so far! 5Mb and its been downloading for 2 hours!)

i'm not a big downloader and month after month my usage is lower then 15 Gig!

this is a joke! plz help!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT caps 8Mb ADSL at 2Mb

i've been a customer since 2002

Ah, but have you been on ADSL since then?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)