cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT announce sucessful acquisition of PlusNet PLC

James
Grafter

This morning, at 7am, BT announced to the London Stock Exchange that they had sucessfully completed their acquisition of PlusNet PLC.

We have produced a page on our website so that you can see confirmation of the takeover, as well as our plans for 2007.

Click here to view our Plans for 2007

Please keep all discussion surrounding the takeover and our Plans for 2007 to this thread. We'll be here all day to answer your questions and comments.
121 REPLIES
N/A

Great news!

I suspect that even with the positive news that this announcement clearly is, there will be some customers who still have a very real interest in the changing of the deferred fees model.

I notice that the announcement says that Plusnet plan to waive existing deferred fee's which are over 12 mths old, as well as having new users on a 12mth defferral period only.

Is anybody in a position to expand a little on this.

1. Will it definately happen?
2. When?
3. Will fee's remain payable in full during the first 12mths, and then be written off completely subsequently, or will there be a reduction model over the 12mth period (ie 50% reduction after 12mths?)
4. Will the maximum life for any deferred fee be 12mths from when it was applied to the account, or will they run concurrently?
James
Grafter

Hi James,

1. Will it definately happen?

I strongly suspect so and have absolutely no reason to suggest otherwise.

2. When?

To be confirmed.

3. Will fee's remain payable in full during the first 12mths, and then be written off completely subsequently, or will there be a reduction model over the 12mth period (ie 50% reduction after 12mths?)

All or nothing.

4. Will the maximum life for any deferred fee be 12mths from when it was applied to the account, or will they run concurrently?

It'll be 12 months from the instigation of the deferred charge.
N/A

Coolio! ^^

With relation to the hosting upgrades are these upgrades to your existing hosting brands seperate to Plusnet (ie, Metronet brands such as JTN etc), or is it an upgrade of the current hosting platform for Plusnet customers, or both? (By PN customers, I'm including the other vISP's as I presume we all share the same platform currently, where the hosting brands I presume are on a different platform?)

Are the two destined to become the same thing, with Just The Name customers accessing the same tools as Plusnet customers, albeit through differently branded front ends/portals

If such a convergeance happens, will this mean that hosting with PN on a broadband account will offer the flexibility to be more than just a value added service (presumably for extra cost for those who require 'proper' hosting) with attached SLA's etc?

Or will hosting with PN still be subject to similar constraints/lack of guarantee's that fit the 'home user' profile, with businesses and home users who require extra resilience still being forced to look elsewhere for the stability they require?

Presumably webspace/bandwidth etc will be upgradeable for those who desire it?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

With relation to the hosting upgrades are these upgrades to your existing hosting brands seperate to Plusnet (ie, Metronet brands such as JTN etc), or is it an upgrade of the current hosting platform for Plusnet customers, or both? (By PN customers, I'm including the other vISP's as I presume we all share the same platform currently, where the hosting brands I presume are on a different platform?)

Are the two destined to become the same thing, with Just The Name customers accessing the same tools as Plusnet customers, albeit through differently branded front ends/portals

I think the front end portals are likely to be the same but Just-the-name will be integrated and linked from the Plusnet sites and yes the two will share the same control panels and tools.

It's early doors yet and I've not had much involvement with the project cycle but the first step is going to rebuild the architecture behind the existing Parbin services.

There was a prototype bandied about a short while ago that I've linked to here.

Everything is subject to change and I couldn't be sure how accurate it is now but can certainly try and find out (there's a project meet on this later on today IIRC).

If such a convergeance happens, will this mean that hosting with PN on a broadband account will offer the flexibility to be more than just a value added service (presumably for extra cost for those who require 'proper' hosting) with attached SLA's etc?

Or will hosting with PN still be subject to similar constraints/lack of guarantee's that fit the 'home user' profile, with businesses and home users who require extra resilience still being forced to look elsewhere for the stability they require?

If it becomes a paid for and newly built service then there will be much more focus on what customers want out of a hosting solution. I couldn't be 100% sure about SLA's or anything like that at this point though.

Presumably webspace/bandwidth etc will be upgradeable for those who desire it?

Given the fact that the existing Parbin solution is Pay As You Host then this is highly likely.

Kind Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Community Veteran

There was a prototype bandied about a short while ago that I've linked to here.

Everything is subject to change and I couldn't be sure how accurate it is now but can certainly try and find out (there's a project meet on this later on today IIRC).

That's still the same template that has been adapted slightly (and is still being adapted slightly) as we make the changes to the JTN site.
Firejack
Grafter

Oooo Open Day. Think I'll be one of the first to come take a nosy. Hope we get access to staff network. Could do with manually adjusting my referrals so I have lots and get free Broadband!

Are we likely to see the BT Home Hub available for free under our current subscription or are we likely going to need to pay extra for it? Does look like an interesting device. Especially now BT has been made to open the Home Hub software to the Open Source Community.
We likely to see the Home Hub in Plus.net Colours? BT one looks a little dull!

Can't wait for the new community site either. Thats does look very good from the prototype.
James
Grafter

Hi Firejack,

We're still awaiting confirmation internally about how we plan to offer the Home Hub to our customers. As soon as further details become available we'll be sure to let you know.

I'm also really excited about the Community Site. It's going to be a fantasitc opportunity to bring all of our customers across the different brands together. Aswell as all the other various community aspects it'll allow us to offer.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

we have now ordered an additional 622Mb/s BT Central pipe, which we expect to be available in March. We intend to activate two segments of this immediately; this means our total capacity will grow by 12.5%.

great news !!

This surely is the single improvement we have all been waiting for.

roll on march

Cool
Community Veteran

BT Vision has real potential and I'm looking forward to it being offered to PlusNet customers. Judging by early customer experiences (see http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16Cool BT have some real challenges to get it stable though.

Bob
James
Grafter

I'm personally looking forward to BT Fusion, and am hoping that I'll get a chance to trial it at some stage.
Firejack
Grafter

BT Vision is something I'm not too excited by. Simply because its going to be a long time before I'll have a fast enough Internet connection to benefit from it. Currently I have 4Mbps ADSL and ADSL2+ is only likely to give me 4.5Mbps looking at the charts and graphs showing estimated speeds. Until FTTC or FTTH home comes along I won't be able to Stream HD quality programs over VoD I'll have to pre-download them or watching lesser quality program.

Currently I'm setting up a Media Server to stream TV/Video over my home network and that uses up to around 16Mbps and thats just for DVD quality not HD quality video so we are probably looking at 20Mbps for HDTV via VoD Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I still don't welcome the news of a takeover, since it usually means the company being taken over disappears in the not-too distant future, along of course with the offices and staff.

I am very critical of PlusNet I know, but we're eventually going to get into a situation in this country that there is either going to be just one or a handful of providers for broadband. Like we have now for cable (was 2 now 1) and satellite (1 of course). I don't think that is going to do the industry any good.

However the 2007 outlook (should it happen) does seem very promising. Not sure why it took PlusNet about a year after everyone else to realise capacity was an issue - but at least it is now being addressed. CS seems to have improved significantly (not that I've used them, from what I have read) and the LLU, E-Mail and DNS issues seem to becoming a thing of the past.

The 'you stay we pay' scheme changes seem a lot more sensible. The BT Wholesale cost is still significant and I know it must go somewhere within the T&C's, but I always thought 5 years was a bit extreme.

All good, I've not ruled out migrating my other connection to PlusNet .. if the brand is still around in a few months time and they can sort out the cap levels offered @ 22 quid, then maybe I will.
N/A

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I still don't welcome the news of a takeover, since it usually means the company being taken over disappears in the not-too distant future, along of course with the offices and staff.

in some cases like Safeway and Morrisons, companies do pretty much dissapear off the face of the planet, but for example Telewest was taken over by NTL, but they still firmly exist Smiley
Community Veteran

BT Vision is something I'm not too excited by. Simply because its going to be a long time before I'll have a fast enough Internet connection to benefit from it. Currently I have 4Mbps ADSL and ADSL2+ is only likely to give me 4.5Mbps looking at the charts and graphs showing estimated speeds. Until FTTC or FTTH home comes along I won't be able to Stream HD quality programs over VoD I'll have to pre-download them or watching lesser quality program.

Currently I'm setting up a Media Server to stream TV/Video over my home network and that uses up to around 16Mbps and thats just for DVD quality not HD quality video so we are probably looking at 20Mbps for HDTV via VoD Sad

BT Vision isn't HD (at least not initially) and I think you need around 1.5 mbps to get Freeview quality standard definition TV.

Bob