cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Voyager 1800HG : Limited or no connectivity

N/A

I received my wireless router yesterday but have not been able to get it set up wirelessly other than for a short 1 hour period. The router is the BT Voyager 1800HG, I worked through the following link (http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/hardware/bt1800_setup.shtml) but could not get connected.

I then decided to try and connect using an ethernet cable and was able to access the address 192.168.1.xx, I updated the wep key and also entered my username and password for force 9. Once this was saved I was able to connect to this site wirelessly but not to the internet. After speaking to f9 on the phone I found out I had entered my password wrong. Once I changed this I had access to the internet wirelessly, however, after restarting the computer I was unable to connect to the internet again even though my router remained on the whole time.

I again spoke to someone at f9 who suggested going back in and updating my wep key as I had earlier set it to something other than the value on the bottom of the router. This had no effect and the status of the router remains at "Limited or no connectivity". I have again connected via my ethernet cable to search for a solution but have had no luck. I also contacted f9 this afternoon and they suggested reseting the router and updating settings again but again this provided no improvement. The only alternative he could suggest is to try a different router or try the router I have at one of my friends, could anyone suggest what the problem might be.
15 REPLIES
Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The symptoms you describe are often caused by a firewall (Windows own or something like Zone alarm) getting in the way. The firewall can often block the ‘default gateway’ IP address, mine is 192.168.1.1 for my router (a Linksys) and is usually the default address used by your browser for setting up the router (yours seems to be 192.168.1.254).

This stops the computer ‘talking’ to the router and getting its IP and gateway addresses allocated by DHCP, you should be able to check this in your network settings on your computer, if it has a wierd IP address and not something in the 192.168.1.xx range then it is not getting the address from your router.

Other problems can be caused by the WEP security code being wrong so it is often easier to set things up first with no security at all, get things working then add in security settings one by one to see what stops it working.

I usually start by connecting with Ethernet cable first to set up the router and get connected to the internet, then switch to wireless and get that working without security, then switch on security, finally turn back on any firewall you may be using.
When talking about firewalls I mean the firewall on your computer not any firewall in your actual router (if any). BTW are you using XP or Vista (or Linux Cool) it helps if we know the operating system.

Done step by step you can easily note where the breakdown appears and check your problem at that point. One thing to note is the username in your router should be in the format of ‘username@f9.co.uk’ and your password as set by yourself.

Hope some of this helps, regards, Colin
N/A

Hi Colin, I tried switching the firewall off but it had no affect. I also tried connecting with the security turned off but again the same status: Limited or no connectivity. The point you make about my IP address being something similar to 192.168.1.xx is interesting as the IP address is 169.254.252.65. I have entered the correct username and password as I checked this while speaking to f9 on the phone. I can't understand how I was connected and using the internet wirelessly for one hour last night and then how restarting my computer can cause so much hassle.

Thanks

PS. I am using Windows XP
Pendragon
Rising Star

The limited or no connectivity message is referring to the connection between your computer and your router not between the router and the internet so the router is probably OK its just getting your computer to talk to the router correctly.

The 169 IP address you quote is the ‘default’ address that Windows allocates when it can’t get an address from a DHCP server (on your router) so that confirms it.

Somewhere the connection is failing. So first thing I would do is disable the XP firewall, then disable the security mode on the wireless connection on your router. Next open a command window and type in ‘ipconfig /flushdns’ (no quotes) and hit [Return], this will flush the DNS resolver cache, close the command window when it’s cleared the cache.

The next bit is difficult to explain but I will do my best.
You need to open your wireless connection on the PC and go into the properties section. It will list all the connection details, you can see what I mean if you have the user guide and look at page 101 item 2 the network window opens. Click to highlight the ‘Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]’ line and click the [Properties] button to open the IP address section. You should find an [Advanced] button near the bottom and clicking this should open the window that allows you to add a ‘default gateway’. The user guide is confusing as it gives two default gateway addresses but I’m pretty sure you can use the 192.168.1.254 address as the default gateway. If you add this address it should then give the wireless card a ‘hint’ as to where to find the DHCP server and get it’s LAN IP address.

If this then works you can enable the wireless security and any firewalls as you see fit. I have on some laptops had to remove the wireless connection from the ‘Wireless’ tab on the network settings list (the window above middle tab) and let XP redetect the wireless connection again to get the thing to work. I must admit I do find it a bit ‘hit and miss’ getting wireless to work on XP but when it does it does work rather well.

Good luck, regards, Colin.
N/A

Thanks again for the help. I tried what you said but it has made no difference. Just wondering the bit where you said "Click to highlight the ‘Internet Protocol [TCP/IP]’ line and click the [Properties] button to open the IP address section." Would it be possible to specify the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway here, I did click on the advanced button and do it the way you suggested but was wondering if this would be worth a try.
Thanks
N/A

I have now been able to get connected after searching for "Limited or no connectivity" on google and going to the first result, I followed the instructions there and downloaded the Microsoft patch and then also applied the WinsockXPFix.exe program. After doing this I was able to connect and so I then re-enabled my firewall and turned the WEP protection back on, which worked without any problems. The problem occurs when I shut down or restart my PC, as soon as I do this I get the Limited or no connectivity message and the only way to get connected again is to run the WinsockXPFix.exe. Once this is done and I go the wireless connections I need to go into changed advanced settings, select the wireless networks tab and tick the box Use windows to configure my wireless network settings, this then connects me.
Pendragon
Rising Star

Would it be possible to specify the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway here,

Yes you can. You need to pick an address below 192.168.1.63 as higher than that seems to be the range output by your DHCP server.
You would need something like;
IP Address: 192.168.1.20
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

Just a thought, do you have wireless manager type software installed for your computer. I have a Linksys PCMCIA card in my notebook and that comes with a wireless manager application. I can either use that to manage the card and connection, or uninstall it and use the Windows manager. I ask because you had to tick the box to get the Windows manager to work with your computer.

Give the fixed IP address a try and see if that fixes the problem, not ideal but it may work, regards, Colin.
N/A

Gave this ago with the values you suggested but didn't work. Noticed that when I am connected wirelessly the IP address is 192.168.1.65 so tried that as well but it didn't work either.

When I added the PCI card it came with REALTEK RTL8185 Wireless LAN Utility which I have installed.

Everytime I shut down my PC and restart I have to run the WinsockXPFix.exe program and then go back in and check the Use windows to configure my wireless network settings box.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Seeing latest posts has just reminded me of an analogous situation with my computers (all running XP).

I have a laptop with a Belkin G+ MIMO wireless notebook card. If I use the Belkin software to manage the wireless connection to my Belkin G+ MIMO router I get a limited connectivity message and it won't connect to the Internet, but links to my main computer which is connected by Ethernet to the router (all on the same subnet and firewalls have this subnet in the trusted zone).

It works fine if I use the Windows built-in wireless networking manager (just selected to use that in the Belkin software on my laptop - and the selection stays "ticked"). Since it was working I run it like that, I never got round to investigating why the Belkin manager had problems. I didn't have to install any patches (apart from one to support WPA2 security on all the computers) and the laptop connects fine on boot-up.

I have a second laptop with built-in wireless networking and that works fine with the Windows wireless manager (doesn't have a third-party alternative) and connects on boot-up.

This doesn't solve your problem but perhaps confirms it could be an XP problem not something peculiar to the hardware.

Regards, David
David
N/A

Tried uninstalling software that came with wireless pci adapter and let windows detect and install it. Then used the wireless network setup wizard but again I got Limited or no connectivity.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

Have you checked with Realtek to see if they have any updated drivers for the wireless card? It could be a known issue that they are aware of (and possibly fixed).
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

@dieseluk

Thanks for the tip on WinsockXPFix.exe. I used that on the laptop where the Belkin Network Manager gave Limited or No Connectivity and it has fixed the problem.

After the prompted restart at the the end of Fix execution the wireless connection managed by the Windows Manager was reestablished automatically. I changed over to the Belkin Manager and had to enter the WPA2 security string (as is to be expected), but the Belkin Manager then reported an excellent connection. The laptop has been rebooted twice (once restart, once cold) since and the connection reestablishes automatically under Belkin control.

So this worked for me, though obviously doesn't for you.

Regards, David
David
Pendragon
Rising Star

@dieseluk

Sorry the static IP didn’t work.

I have had problems with WiFi adapters not working and found getting wireless to work can be a nightmare some times. I had a Google on your adapter and found a number of others having the same problems with no firm resolution given in any of the replies. Not what you want to hear but at least you are not alone.

Only thing I can suggest is to have a look here and see if the drivers are newer than yours (they are dated this year) or give in and try a different card as some cards just will not work with some routers and you may just have one of those.

I have two USB WiFi dongles one will work fine with my Linksys the other just will not play ball and refuses to even connect yet it works fine connecting to my sons Tosh Laptop in Ad Hoc mode. Oh well the joys of computing Smiley.

Regards, Colin.
N/A

Thanks for all the help guys. I have tried updating drivers and still no success. I think I'm just going to have to try a different adapter.
N/A

do you turn your router off at night? On mine if I do this it mess up my local ip address. I find it s better to leave the router up 24/7 otheir wise I have to re-set up the router config every time.

Also do you have any anti-virus software? this can stop your computer getting access to the outside world (net)

Michael