cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Voyager 105 - data light always on

damianoneill
Dabbler

Since I moved house last month, the 'data' light of my Voyager 105 is always on (90%+ of the time). It used to mostly be off.
Also, the "double-arrow" icon in the task bar is always bright green, whereas it used to be mostly dark green.
I though that these things meant that the modem was transmitting/receiving, but it's still the case even when I have no web pages loaded i.e. as soon as I connect to PLusNet. Any ideas?
7 REPLIES
p_w_d_stone
Grafter

Immediately run a full scan of your computer for viruses and spyware.

If you haven't got software to do this I'd strongly recommend Avast and SpyBot Search and Destroy- both available free for non commercial use.

I'd also recommend installing Kerio personal firewall (again free). This will prompt you every time a program attempts to connect to the internet and should shed some light on what's using your connection.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi there,

Looking at your usage there is alot under the 'other' category. As Peter states I would scan your system for malware as these may be using your usage.

If you don't mind answering what do you generally use your connection for? If its general surfing and email then it would look like something malicious may be affecting you.

Have a look at the advice on this page for some good security software.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
damianoneill
Dabbler

Hi Chris

It's a work laptop I use at home. I connect to PlusNet, then use Cisco VPN (v 4.0.2) to get to work servers. It's used only for that, and a bit of web surfing and mail. No downloads or games.

The lights seem to come on and stay on as soon as my VPN session is established, not as I said earlier as soon as I connect to PlusNet.

I've just run CA eTrust AntiVirus, no errors at all (apart from a few files it couldn't open). It's also got ZoneLabs installed.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

The lights seem to come on and stay on as soon as my VPN session is established

That's the answer

As the VPN session will be remaining open, therefore continuing a connection there will be consistent data transferring. This would probably explain most of the traffic being shown as 'other' too.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
damianoneill
Dabbler

Chris, that's what I tought initially, but it's only happened since I moved house and was connected earlier this week. So I've 2 queries:

My previous connection was identical (PlusNet then VPN left connected), but the data light and arrow icon were only lit when I was browsing/working. Why has that changed?

And does that mean that even though I'm not actually doing anything, it'll count towards my usageHuh
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

A VPN is a connection to another network, for this to remain open there will need to be some amount of data transfer taking place.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
damianoneill
Dabbler

I know that, but it doesn't actually answer either of my questions!!! Sad