cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speedtest results

Novocastrian
Grafter

BT Speedtest results

Over the last few months my connection speed has steadily declined but since I only use the net for browsing and email and an occasional download from a binary newsgroup, I have been able to put up with it.
The last week or two however has seen speeds drop to nearly a standstill at peak times.
These are the results of three BT Speedtests I completed yesterday, 12th October.

6:40am 931 Kbps
10:58am 509 Kbps
9:40pm 206 Kbps
I am on a 1Mb connection. Pay as you go account.

I ditched my modem and bought a router, (Netgear dg384), to see if that would help, but no joy.
My exchange is showing as green on the usertools exchange checker.

Any help or advice appreciated.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT Speedtest results

Looks like contention at the exchange - the speeds are lower during the busy period (9.40pm) but faster when not busy (6.40am).

Nothing you can do about it if it is caused by that. You will have to wait for the capacity at your exchange to be improved (assuming BT have plans to do so).

The exchange checker is not always up to date so it may have degraded since the last update given and going by your statement that it has slowly got worse then contention is the likely culprit.
N/A

BT Speedtest results

BT suck big time....

I live in a little village out in the wilds, we've had to wait 4 years to get adsl....
First week it was great then it got worse and worse till they did an upgrade to the vp's from the exchange. It was then good for a couple of weeks then started another turn for the worse.....they then upgraded again and all rosy for 2 weeks...now it's on a downward trend again.

They are complete A holes and seem to have absolutey no idea about how to size their network connections from outlying exchanges....they are spending their time firefighting!

best of british Smiley
Novocastrian
Grafter

BT Speedtest results

Looks like contention at the exchange - the speeds are lower during the busy period (9.40pm) but faster when not busy (6.40am).

Thanks for reply Peter. I had guessed as much myself, just thought that a 75% reduction in speed between off-peak and peak times was a bit much.
Maybe I'm being throttled aswell :?

Oh, and best of luck to you too Drewy
Community Veteran

BT Speedtest results

Maybe I'm being throttled aswell :?

No, because the BT speedtest does not involve PlusNet, hence why many requests are made for people to run it, to determin where the problem lies... with BT or with PlusNet. In your case it is BT only .
N/A

BT Speedtests and slow going!!!

Hi - I know just how you feel with regard to slow speeds ... we have had ADSL for a year now, and the first 8 months were fantastic. I have now just forwarded to PlusNet two more BT speedtests ... one produced at 13.28 today of 66 kbps and the second one produced at 15.30 of 4 kbps!!!

We have been reporting this to PlusNet since August, and have had an open ticket since the middle of September. Unfortunately BT state they cannot find a problem!!

I just don't know how it is going to get sorted. PlusNet occasionally update me, just advising me that BT can't find a problem so can I produce another speedtest. I wish someone would take this seriously now.

The only thing I can put it down to is that it has got worse since we tried to upgrade to 2Mb line. BT were unable to do that, so we have had to go back to 1MB, which actually is sometimes as slow as dial up!!! Cry

Well, thats my rant for today ... and the past month or so!!! Wink

Kim
N/A

BT Speedtest results

and good ole BT have plans to deliver TV content via ADSL.....that's gonna work just great :-(