cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed tester

Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

Has anyone ever been able to complete the second test on the BT speed tester??

I must have run about 50 of these things recently, sometimes I get maybe 700-1000kbps (on a 4mb sync speed) and obviously the BT speed tester just gives the usual "if you wish to discuss these results contact your Service Provider" (or something like that.

Most of the time, the results are maybe 30-200kbps and you are then prompted to run a further test (the test that discounts the PN network) you change the login to bt_test_user..etc...

Has ANYONE ever then been able to complete the next test?

More importantly are ISP's putting any pressure on BT to fix this pathetic test system?
56 REPLIES
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

Never.
Must have tried to run it 30 or 40 times (perhaps more) during the BB+ debacle in February, and it always died on me in phase 2.
Either it reported my credentials incorrectly in phase 1 or, when I managed to get through to phase 2 and use bt_test_user etc, it would hang at 96% complete every time
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

it would hang at 96% complete every time

Exactly the same fault I have.

The cynic in me would suggest ISP's arent too bothered about them fixing it as it provides the customer with the ability to test speed without the ISP network involvement.

At the moment us customers are worse off than we were with the old test.

Also, as it does not allow you to test the speed without ISP involvement unless your speed is below BT limits, doesnt it just allow for ISP's to throttle the service to a level just above those limits, and the customer will be none the wiser...
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

Is there any other way that we can do a speedtest and take PN out of the loop, without trying to use this BT speed test which clearly does not work at all.

Ive decided that I want this issue fixing. I dont want to waste a day from work waiting for an engineer either.

There is clearly a problem and it needs fixing - they can start by looking for a fault at the exchange, or providing some method of me testing the speed without having PN in the loop. These very slow speeds started when PN introduced the new products, even though Im not on one - and with the history of how my account was made live again on PN, im not entirely convinced its not the configuration of my account at PN towers.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BT Speed tester

I think I've said before that as it's the same on RIN it rules out our side of the network. The only part of the network that's the same is between you and BT so means that the problem would lie somewhere between you and BT.

The best way to get this resolved is to go with the BT fault finding process. I don't know why the speedtest doesn't work, but as I say as it's the same on RIN it shouldn't matter.
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

Does the RIN bypass all traffic management then?
N/A

BT Speed tester

Does the RIN bypass all traffic management then?

I understand that this is the case- yes- this is why it's only available to PAYG customers.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BT Speed tester

Yep, we don't have our Ellacoya config on the RIN network.
N/A

BT Speed tester

BT have their own Ellacoya's on RIN though don't they?

I thought they just use more basic rules because of the way that used capacity is billed on an arrears basis. (Of course they have a *lot* more capacity to play with too, which helps negate some of the peaks and troughs)

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick? (wouldn't be the first time, I'm sure it won't be the last either :lol: )
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

Right - here is my experience with this BT Speed tester.

As BT expect us mere plebs to conduct three of these tests, usually at ungodly hours before complaining about dial up speeds, then the least they could do is make the damned thing work properly.

All of the images below can be clicked to enlarge:

First, do the normal test - fine, my IP profile is slightly lower than it should be, but Im guessing that my synch must have become lower during all the reboots once - so, synch at 4mb, ip profile at 3500 and throughput at 200 (which is actually not bad, its been as low as 20)

So next comes the bit where it asks you to change the login for your modem/router. This changes between speedtest@speedtest_domain and the bt_test_user@<yourisp>

So we make that change and hit the go button again...

It appears to progress quite normally....

Then at just before 70% this happens - look at the text at the top:

It almost immediatley goes back to normal - works its way to 96%, and then sits there - for ever....

So - what is wrong with this tester? The above sequence of events is how the BT tester works every single time for myself. How is anyone elses experience.

Also - on another note, how come us mere plebs have to conduct 3 speed tests at ungodly hours before attempting to raise a speed fault, yet its ok for BT to test the line once (in search of an inconsistent line fault) before spitting it back with "no fault found".

OK - if we are going to do this lets do it.

I want this fault fixing, once and for all - and if that means BT laying a whole new line from the exchange, then so be it.

Lets start by BT fixing the speed tester so I can complete a full speed test.
Liam
Grafter

BT Speed tester

I thought they just use more basic rules because of the way that used capacity is billed on an arrears basis. (Of course they have a *lot* more capacity to play with too, which helps negate some of the peaks and troughs)

Our profiles for the RIN network have no restrictions. It's clean, because it is something we have made available to our PAYG customers. It completely bypasses our network entirely - it's BT Central Plus which hands over directly to the internet without touching us.
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

So if thats running like a dog too, then it has to be a BT fault.

Right - lets see just what it is then...

Ill raise a ticket and see if BT can fix it. Ive not had a laugh in a while.
N/A

BT Speed tester

Our profiles for the RIN network have no restrictions. It's clean, because it is something we have made available to our PAYG customers. It completely bypasses our network entirely - it's BT Central Plus which hands over directly to the internet without touching us.

I know its nothing to do with *your* network, my question was whether BT had their own Ellacoyas running on the RIN network. I'm sure somebody said that they did, and I was just trying to get it straight in my mind. Do you know if BT are running shaping of some sort on the RIN using Ellacoyas?
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

Oy! Stop hijacking my thread :lol: lol

PS - anyone know how you can raise a ticket? Ive spent 10 minutes looking round the help section and Im damned if I can find the "raise a ticket" button anywhere.

EDIT: I seem to have found a way of raising the fault.

Ticket number is 21874591

So - lets see just how this pans out, Im interested to see just how BT handle this again.

Its only the third or fourth time this issue has been raised to BT, and every single time its been batted back with no fault found...

Will this time be any different... Lets wait and see folks...
Community Veteran

BT Speed tester

Well - first hurdle to get over.....

Ticket has been returned:

The results of our tests show no fault with your broadband connection. Completed speed tests show that your connection speed is: none found

According to BT, this speed is within the limits of acceptable performance for broadband service.

Kind Regards,
Customer Support

So back we go....

This is an intermittent fault, speed test results using the bt speed test show varying results, from "acceptable" 1000kbs (although still 1/4 of line speed) down to as low as 20kbps.

This morning it was 200kbps, half the "acceptable" speed for my connection.

How exactly does conducting one test count toward resolving an intermittent fault?

BT require customers to complete 3 tests before even looking at a problem, yet the providers can conduct one and bat it straight back stating no fault found?

Please raise fault with BT.

I have a feeling its going to be a long and bumpy road...