cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed Test Woe

channel
Grafter

BT Speed Test Woe

My router is synching at 1.6Mb, and until recently the Plus Net maximum stable rate page also said 1Mb. However, the Plus Net maximum stable rate has now been reduced to 500k.

I raised a ticket asking support to look into this and I got a very quick response asking me to do three BT speedtests at ungodly hours of the morning. I'm not entirely sure why this is necessary, but I figured it was best to play along.

I've just tried my first speed test and it returns the following message:

"Test error. Only TAP1 tests are enabled. Please log in as tap1 user."

What am I supposed to do now?
6 REPLIES
N/A

Re: BT Speed Test Woe

I'm not entirely sure why this is necessary, but I figured it was best to play along.

This is to rule out contention at the exchange because it is reduced at offpeak times. Unfortunatly the test is common requirment for speed issue complaints.

Did you follow this tutorial to correctly log on to the BT Speed Tester?

I'm assuming you are on IPStream and not LLU. Common sense says CSC would notice this anyway (but you never know)
channel
Grafter

BT Speed Test Woe

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions exactly as per the page you referenced. I opted out of LLU so I certainly hope that I am on IPStream.

The reason I don't entirely understand why the speed tester is relevant is because the issue I have reported is the mismatch between my router's synch and the maximum stable rate Plus Net say is reported from BT; contention shouldn't impact that, I don't think, since it is an issue of synch speeds rather than throughput?
N/A

Re: BT Speed Test Woe

I raised a ticket asking support to look into this and I got a very quick response asking me to do three BT speedtests at ungodly hours of the morning.

Am I missing something or wasnt it said ( by James aswell if I recall correctly ) that off peak EVEN for the BT speed tests is now till 4PM.

So why are tests still required at completely stupid hours of the morning?

Granted, the network will be busier later in the day, but if BT now see this as off peak, what difference does it really make if its 2AM off peak or 2PM off peakHuh
channel
Grafter

BT Speed Test Woe

Actually, I owe support an apology there; the ticket actually said 00.00 to 16.00 - I just skim read it and assumed that it was the same ungodly hours as it used to be.

However, I still don't know what a tap1 user is?Huh
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

BT Speed Test Woe

channel,

Looking at your account I'm afraid that there's not an awful lot we can do in situations like this. The fact that you are synchronising at 1.6Mbps yet have your bRAS profiling at 576kbps would not be considered a fault by BT.

The highest your throughput has been is 1728kbps on the 29th August (This wil have been represented as 1500 on our website).

My best advice to you is the same as that I offered in this thread earlier on today. Reboot your equipment once a day too and hopefully you should see speeds creeping up again.

Rgds,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

BT Speed Test Woe

lol, Channel,

Ahh right. So I need to blame you for the mis information do I? :lol:

Well its a good thing to know that the correct information is indeed being delivered, but it was only down to user error Wink

Regards,