cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Speed Test - Does not not show intermittent faults

N/A

I've been asked by Plus Net to do 3 tests 30 minutes apart because my connection over the last few weeks has been intermitantly bad.

Obviously when I can get in to the speed test my speeds are fine, but when I have problems I cannot access the page so have to wait until a period of good connection.

My conclusion........BT SPEED TEST SHOWS NOTHING, EXCEPT THAT PN THINK EVERYTHING IS FINE.

SORT IT OUT PN OTHERWISE I'M OFF!!. YOU ARE TRYING TO PASS THE BLAME ON TO ME AND MY EQUIPMENT. THIS IS A DISGRACE!
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If the BT speed test is so slow you can't use it then the problem can only lie with either your equipment or within the BT network. If you've ruled out your equipment then it will be with BT. If you put all this into your ticket we'll make sure it's raised.
Community Veteran

I think you misunderstand the purpose of the speed test. It's primary purpose is to identify if slow speeds are caused by BT or PlusNet and it's not used to determin intermittent faults.

If you find speeds are fine with the BT speedtest but slower or erratic with PlusNet then the problem is within PlusNets control - i.e. their setup.

If you find the speeds are lower than you expect and they are also lower with the BT speed test, then this indicates a BT problem.

If you see no difference and speeds are good with both the BT speedtest and PlsuNets speedtest then you and PN need to look elsewhere for the cause of any problems.

The BT speed test is just one of the important tests that BT insist on being done before any faults are reported by PN to BT.

Also as you have not posted any details about he problem you are getting we cannot help further.
N/A

Think you have all my info here Mr Vaughan

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27226&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Only 2 speed tests were inclueded I suppose that was why I got no help?

"Have done my first 2 speed tests on my 1MB line

269kbs (1st Test)

969kbs (2nd Test) "
Community Veteran

Ah, OK, must have missed that thread with all the other stuff going on.
N/A

What next?

I've lodged a ticket I think.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

There is a ticket on your account which has been returned to you requesting the BT Speedtest results. If you reply back (go to Help then Contact Us and action ticket) giving us the results and what happened with the speed test we can move this on for you.
N/A

Frustration is getting the better of me. Apologies for showing it.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Don't worry about it. When something isn't working the way that it should and there doesn't seem like there's anything that you can physically do to fix it, then it's perfectly understandable.

It situations like this the more information you can gather for us, and the more you can rule out anything on your side (e.g. by running a virus scan, swapping the router or whatever) then the more that helps us to pinpoint where the problem lies and speed up the resolution.
N/A

Can I just say after posting my 3 speeds all in excess of 950kbs I get this reply

"As the speeds that you have come back with are well within the expected values for a 1Mbps connection, we would expect this to show that the problem is not currently occurring. Can you please confirm if you are still having the speed issue.

If it is still occurring, can you please provide us with a speed test from an affected period of time."

No wonder I'm frustrated. Its intermittent. By the time I've got to the test it rights itself.

Boy oh boy this is hard work.
Community Veteran

I understand your frustration but intermittent problems such as this are increadably difficult to investigate and thus solve. It does require patients on both sides to try and narrow down the period when it happens and this can and often does involve repeated testing until some pattern or reason becomes clear.

If PN pass on your problem to BT when the BT speed tests are showing a normal speed then BT would just reject the fault saying there is no evidence that a fault exists on their part of the network and refer the problem back to the ISP, which clearly helps no-one.

I don't know the ins and out of your problem as I have not read your thread but please try and be patient and try to work with CS as best you can as they only trying to get to the bottom of the problem with you. Also consider the fact that you are not always talking to the same person at PlusNet so at times they will keep asking the same standard questions - this does make things even more frustrating but there is little you can do but try to explain what is happening again.
N/A

Point taken.

It's hard not to point the finger when so many people are reporting very similar problems.

Apologies if PN are not to blame.

But my frustration is born of not receiving money back from a sub standard product, if that is what's proved.

With regard to speaking to somebody different. CS is paid for out of my subscription, so not my problem. Period.
Community Veteran

With regard to speaking to somebody different. CS is paid for out of my subscription, so not my problem. Period.

Actually it is your problem as you are one of the parties involved so some allowances have to be made sometimes in order to get to a solution. Not all CS agents are experienced in investigating intermittent issues so some will just follow the standard procedures without properly looking at prevous ticket responses. So you have to try to be co-operative no matter how frustrated things get. Ultimately you have these forums and the highly experience comms agents monitoring them to help out when things get out of hand (as you have done here) but ultimately if no clues are forthcoming then that's the nature of the beast sometimes and no amount of tests or frustrating conversions will change that.

I do hope you get your problem fixed quickly.