cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Sessions trial causing the Binary Usenet access problem?

N/A

I would request that the Comms team have a look into this and give us some further information or a service status update please!

I've been going around in circles with support team (ticket 19372327) for a week now, chasing the cause of the Usenet access problems that some of us have been experiencing lately.

The problem has been reported as affecting Easynews, Giganews and Newshosting.com - see threads here, here, here and here! It seems that it's all but impossible to access binary news-feeds, and indeed the provider's websites on any gateway other than "Telehouse North, Juniper 2" (ptn-ag2)

The final statement from support today is:
This issue is being caused by the gateway you are connected to, as we are running BT's Extended Sessions Trials accross a few of our gateways.

And when I then queried if this is being looked at or fixed:
the fact that speeds are slow on gateways which are on the extended sessions trials is an unavoidable issue.

Well, I don't call <2kbps "slow" I'm sorry - it's denial of service!
This is basically what you would see with level 2 traffic management or on the basic packages that don't allow binary NNTP or PTP traffic isn't it?

Why is the trial so badly affecting Usenet access (and perhaps other protocols for all I know) and why should it be an 'unavoidable issue'?

I'm on a business connection that shouldn't have traffic management on it, so my obvious concern is what happens at the end of the trials -
Will access to the usenet servers/websites from all of the gateways be blocked then?
What else is being affected?
Is this really not a configuration error somewhere and why isn't it being fixed?
16 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

I thought the BT Session trials had long been concluded, as indicated by Mand in this thread:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40854&highlight=
Is this a new set of trials, to see just how high they can go before it pops?Huh
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The extended sessions has nothing to do with the Usenet speeds. The cause of this is being looked into and seems in the main be affecting a handful of Business/Teleworker/Homeworker accounts. Should find out more on this after the weekend.
N/A

Ah, excellent a possible explination...

It's a shame that CSC couldn't communicate this directly to the affected users via their open tickets.

Thanks again for the information
ianthescot
Grafter

Hi Dave, I am not a business/homeworker etc user and for the past 4 or 5 days have been experiening severe problems with external Usenet feeds (Astraweb and Giganews). Speeds for even downloading headers are only around 400bps (note NOT kbps). This sort of service is not useable.

Regards,
Ian
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Ian,

As a comparison, what speeds do you get on a speedtest? Can you also try a test download from our news server (usenet.plus.net) as a comparison? It's text only but it should be easy to see if speeds are any better.
N/A

The Extended Session"trials " are long over, and were deemed "successful".

The product is available - see http://www1.btwebworld.com/sinet/412v3p2.pdf

... and probably those Plusnet gateways that were involved in those trials now have the product, at its fullest capacity. ( why join the trial if you are not in need of the product?).

The CS person was simply using only slightly imprecise language. Heck, at least he was prepared to state that there was an impact.

All homage to the late lamented Mr Packet-Loss himself - just see This!

A Cheesy UB going brum brum on Max
N/A

It's good to hear at last that this issue is being acknowledged and investigated - it's just a pity the support team seem completely unaware of that fact and that I've had to pursue it on here to get a sensible answer.

If it's a known problem then why has there still not been an announcement on the Service Status page?
And to be fair to the CS team they can only report back to us what they themselves have been told - and clearly they haven't been told.

Unfortunately it looks like the gremlins found ptn-ag2 overnight and have given it a good bashing with their magic spanners too... grrrrrr... :twisted:

Just tried to access both of Giganews' binary servers and their website... nada... zip... nuffin...
Been through at least 3 different gateways and can't get through on any of them. Wonderful.

Andy
ianthescot
Grafter

Hi Ian,

As a comparison, what speeds do you get on a speedtest? Can you also try a test download from our news server (usenet.plus.net) as a comparison? It's text only but it should be easy to see if speeds are any better.

Hi Dave, speedtests all seem OK as does downloading headers from Plusnet (downloading headers at around 260kbps)
N/A

I have had the same experience since last Thursaday using, UseNetSever.com

Although I can access their site my download speeds average 1.00 kbs!

The BT speed test (run twice) shows a consistant 1912 kbs which is normal.

UNS have tried re-routing my connection, but nothing. This morning I managed 50.0 kbs which lasted until around 11am.
Simon_M
Grafter

The cause of this is being looked into and seems in the main be affecting a handful of Business/Teleworker/Homeworker accounts. Should find out more on this after the weekend.

Dave

Add my account to the list of those affected please. Astraweb varies from slow to unusable. Single figure kbps at best.

It may help your investigation to know that changing the port sometimes gives a short term improvement, but then speeds fall off again.

ftp & http download speeds are fine & the Plusnet speed test reported around 4mbps when last run.

Thanks

Simon
N/A

Possible resolution in sight?

It looks as though all our problems might be resolved by the morning!

22/05/2006 @ 16:46 Slow Usenet Traffic - Update
We recently identified a network issue which would have caused some customers to experience slower than expected speeds when accessing binary Usenet providers such as Easynews and Giganews.

In order to resolve the issue, we will be making a configuration change on our network. This will take affect overnight, but will not have any impact upon customers using the service at the time when change occurs.
N/A

What is the 'network issue'? (Hard to imagine it being much else.).
ianthescot
Grafter

Still seems to be the same here. Can support confirm whether the "fix" was applied last night and if so what is planned now?

Regards,
Ian
N/A

The fix appears to have been applied. This mornig I disconnected / reconnected to be sure and my speeds are now averaging 140-160kbs.

This is slower than before which may be related to slower speeds in general I have been experiencing, but, much better than the .04kbs I had yesterday!!