Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Profile

jabns2
Grafter

BT Profile

Hi there,

First of all i will just clarify some dates.

Previously - ADSL NetStart Up to 4mbit/s
31st March - Sent Request for Bussiness Premier Up to 8mbit/s
10th April - BT Regraded My Account
12th April - F9 Upgraded My account to Bussiness Premier Up to 8mbit/s

On the 10th of April i awoke to find that i had been successfully regraded to IPStream MaxDsl. My connection was running at 4mbit/s and all was fine. The today (Billing Date) my portal on F9 changes to the new account. So then i do a speed test to find out whether my speed has been increased - NO IT HAS NOT. With it not working i contacted a friend who told me that he had read that you have to turn of your equipment for 20mins, so i did. When i turned it back on and did a speed test my connection speed was slower that the previous one by about 1/2 a meg. I the set up a ticket with force9 at 12:00 and am still waiting for a response but have had none. I have also tried phoning them to no avail as my phone just beeped for 5mins and then ended the call. I think this is because my first "BT Profile Test" was done before i was on the 8meg account. I need the new account for the WebServer i am hosting and the Exchange server that i am also hosting. My connection is also dropping every so often as well.

I was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem or if you can ask BT to do a test again to update the "Profile" i have heard about.

Many thanks,
James Barlow
4 REPLIES
astarsolutions
Grafter

BT Profile

This sounds normal; BT will change you speed several times over a 10day period, each time you reboot your connection (a couple of days apart) it will connect at a different speed, at the end of the 10 days you will get the maximum speed you line can handle, any ware UP TO 8 Mb.
jabns2
Grafter

Thanks

Thanks for the help
N/A

BT Profile

i dont know i great deal about this but i think there is two or three places where your line speed is controlled - and i think one of them (the BT Side) takes 3-4 days to update due to the amount of regrades currently going throw the system - this should come down when most people are using MaxDsl

As for resetting your line speed - if you disconnect your modem/router 1 a day for three days, your line should be tested again.

See more here : https://portal.f9.net.uk/my.html?action=stable_rate

Hope that helps. :lol:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BT Profile

Hi,

There was a problem at BT's side causing some newly regraded customers to not be able to see any higher speeds for about 3-4 days after the regrade happened because on of BT's back end systems that controls the throughput was taking longer than normal to update. It should update your speed within 75 minutes of your first connection on Max but was taking several days in some cases.

Over the first 10 days the BT systems will try and establish the maximum stable rate of your line so it's possible that speeds will fluctuate. If there's more than a 512kbps fluctuate in the sync speed then it can take 1-3 days for the throughput rate to catch up with this. So say on day 5 you sync at 3Mbps and then on day 6 you sync at 5Mbps it might not be until day 9 until the system catches up to allow the increase in throughput.

Normally the system will test the connection at regular intervals (and you sync speed is recalculated everytime your modem/router syncs with the exchange). Overall this should give more stable service, certainly in cases with customers whose lines are marginal. Rather than just dropping the connection randomly it should just sync slightly lower. The first 10 days though are almost a learning experience for it as it works out how fast your line will allow before the connection drops.