Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Privacy, caller line ID and ADSL

wizbongre
Grafter

Hi,

I'm tempted to take up BT's offer of free call screening and caller line display - see here - but just wondered if the call line id can interfere with ADSL?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You shouldn't have a problem, although I have seen one particular Caller ID unit (a seperate box that displayed the number) that wouldn't work with ADSL. Memory forgets the exact model unfortunately, so I'd say to check with your hardware supplier before purchasing.
wizbongre
Grafter

Hi,

Thanks - you've pretty much confirmed what I thought I could remember as well! Wink

I have the call ID stuff built into my new phone so that should be okay...

Thanks.
N/A

I have used caller display for years now with no trouble. I can confirm that my caller display dedicated telephone handsets have never interfered with my ADSL connection.

Regards

Mark
N/A

On Call ID replying Ivan

Hi,

YEP! like other people I have Caller ID on my normal BT landline and it works fine with ADSL.

**Call ID is just a unique number that identifies that phone number & that telephone (device) on a digital network and this allows 1471 call backs to work becuase if someone calls you their unique caller ID & number are recieved bye your own phone ans stored so you can retrieve them at a later time hence 1471,etc. Of course this isnt possible if one caller has caller ID switched off or has ID withheld.

**Some phones or telecoms services wont accept incoming calls if the caller ID is with held, which is a common practise in commercial business's.

**You dont have to pay BT money to have cold calling stopped, you can register for free with the "call prefernce service" I think you can even register on line now too? The CPS stops commercial companies cold calling you too sell you something such as double glazing or car insurance etc. Although it wont stop market research calls as they are NOT selling any goods or services though.

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
The True power of knowledge is when its shared.
N/A

another device that someone said did interfere with ADSL was a Philips caller ID phone DECT phone I beleive. I think this was posted on the forums here or perhaps somewhere else. But it wasn't the fact that the caller ID was enabled that was the problem, it was just the phone according to this person anyway. Seems quite strange?

This person said that this particular phone stopped his ADSL working even when correclly connected through the filter/splitter. I was actually thinking of buying this model as it was a cheap phone. I can't remember the model number, but I did contact Philips tech support and they denied any problems with this phone at all. In the end I purchased a differenct phone just in case.

Just make sure that filter/spitters are always used correctly on every device connected to the line and there shouldn't be any problems.
N/A

I've used a Phillips DECT phone with extensions all round the house for years and haven't noticed any interference with ADSL. Which model are you talking about?