cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT+PluNet+Filter

N/A

BT+PluNet+Filter

Hi,

Recently I've been experiencing this problem. When I try to make phone calls on my BT line I get 'TV noise' as soon as I dial the number and press call - the same happens when someone tries to call me, I pick up the phone and OI hear this noise.

I've just realised that it's the filte. I'm using a filter to connect my BT phone and the Modem to the BT socket.

When I UNPLUG the modem from the filter, the phone works fine, but as soon as I plug it back in (even if I am not connected to the internet) the phone doesn't work and all I hear is TV noise.

What should I do?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
N/A

BT+PluNet+Filter

I just phoned PlusNet support - was suggeted to buy a new filter (£6.99!!!) as we thought it'd be the filters fault. With the new filter it's still the same.

Any help anyone?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT+PluNet+Filter

We need to have a better idea of how you are wired up. Do you have more than one telephone socket? Can you describe what plugs in to where or give us a diagram please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

BT+PluNet+Filter

Yes sure, well...

I have a BT socket. I have a long cable that I plug in to the BT socket (BT socket is in another room and I need the long cable to be able to reach my laptop)

I have a filter (for Phone line and Modem) that is connected to the long cable, and, ofcourse, I have my BT phone and my Modem connected to the filter. That's all.

Maybe this would help: I was playing Battlefield 2 one evening, and all of the sudden everything just frzoe, the gamr froze, my BT phone started to ring, I picked it up and I could hear this bad continuing loud signal mixed with all osrts of TV noises cracking sounds. - maybe this would help to understand the problem? :S

Thanks in advance Smiley

P.S. Battlefield 2 is a onlie multiplayer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

BT+PluNet+Filter

Have you tried plugging the filter direct in to the master socket then modem and telephone in to that? If that removes the problem it could be problem with the extension - or the extension is picking up interference. It's worth ruling that out first.

Although you've tried a different filter it's not beyond the realms of possibility that that is also faulty. Could you borrow a known good filter for an hour or so from a mate, and/or try your filter at a mates house? Also worth trying would be borrowing a different modem.

Any problem like this is going to be a process of logical elimination.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

BT+PluNet+Filter

As you are using a laptop the first thing I would do is to plug the phone and router directly into the BT socket without using the long extension lead.

BT has a test number, which is 17070, if you select option 2 this will do a quiet test. My be worth doing this test with the router unconnected/connected. If the noise is only heard when the router is plugged in and you have tried a new filter the next step is to do a test with another router, if possible.
N/A

BT+PluNet+Filter

Well I have tried all the suggestions and it's still the same.

I just tried talking to my cousin using a video chat on skype, audio is the same on skype as well, and just as soon as we connect to video chat my laptop goes to blue screen and crashes :S

I phoned BT, they siad there is a outside fault or something. But can this affect my laptop in this way? :S