cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Exhange Upgrade

N/A

BT Exhange Upgrade

Is there anywhere you can look to see if BT are planning on upgrading your exchange?

At the moment our exchange provides speeds upto 1MB, just wondering if there were plans to upgrade to 2MB.
7 REPLIES
rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

BT Exhange Upgrade

Not sure if this might help you?

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Community Veteran

BT Exhange Upgrade

I think you are confusing the speed capabilities of your local exchange with the speed capabilities of your phone line.

All exchanges can support speeds up to 2Mbs but many phones lines cannot. Also even if your local exchange was upgraded to support the higher speeds (upto 8Mbs) this will make no difference to the speed your line is capable of supporting as the upgrades do not affect the quality of your line.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

BT Exhange Upgrade

All exchanges can support speeds up to 2Mbs but many phones lines cannot.

I've asked this before, but I'll have another go. How do I find out if my exchange has been upgraded?

The url above was last updated for my exchange June 2005! and the 8mb number checker says I can only get up to 2Mb at the Mo'. Does this mean that my exchange has not been upgraded to either 2 or 4Mb?

I'm on 1Mb - I assume because of my line - and want to know also what I could do, if anything, to make my line more compatable for 2Mb?

TIA

Dave
N/A

BT Exhange Upgrade

So are you saying i can never get anything faster than a 1MB internet connection?
N/A

BT Exhange Upgrade

It depends on the stats of your line if you post them here people will tell you if your line should be ok for 2mb as sometimes BTs records are wrong.
Community Veteran

BT Exhange Upgrade

I've asked this before, but I'll have another go. How do I find out if my exchange has been upgraded?

BT do not release that info to the general public so you cannot find out.

All exchanges support 2Mbs speeds and once the full rollout of MaxDSL is completed, they will all support upto 8Mbs speeds. BUT, it is your line, not the exchange that determins what speed you can get.

If you have a router, it can usually report line conditions / status - Line attenuation, SNR. If you have those figures then post them and we can tell you the max speed your line will support or read ADSL: Understanding Line Loss and measurements.

ADSL / ADSL2/ADSL2+ technology is limited by your line length and condition. If your line does not support > 1Mbs speeds then it is going to be many years before the technology improves (i.e. VDSL) before you can get a faster speed.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

BT Exhange Upgrade

If your line does not support > 1Mbs speeds then it is going to be many years before the technology improves (i.e. VDSL) before you can get a faster speed.

Peter, thanks for the info. I'll check tonight and see what the figures are.

Appreciate the help.

Dave