cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Cuts Broadband price for its rivals - Plusnet response ?

martinrowe
Grafter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/business/3709949.stm

Will Plusnet review their charges when this comes into effect ? Seeing as 2 of my referrals have been 'lost' a reduction in the monthly costs would be nice.
10 REPLIES
N/A

This only applies to LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) providers such as Bulldog. Have a read of the ADSLGuide article - it explains the whole situation a lot better than the BBC article.
martinrowe
Grafter

Thanks for the info. BBC article was a bit misleading.
jberry
Grafter

Yeah, although this does not impact directly on the products that we provide is does show that the market is moving the right direction (increasing competition and therefore lowering prices in the long run) - so it may benifit you all eventually.

Regards,
basil1970
Dabbler

I'm confused: the ADSLguide article I'm looking at gives new IPStream 500/1000 wholesale pricing at £8.40 p.m. I thought the difference between IPStream and DataStream was that the former used BT's MPLS core and was presented to the ISP via a BTCentral install, whereas DataStream required the ISP to install their own backhaul and hence not use the MPLS core?

If I'm right (and I'm presuming I'm not!) then the new figures do indicate a wholesale price drop, but only if the ISP accepts a change in the pricing model for the provision of their BTCentral implementation, the theory being that this is cheaper for the ISP and the customer once a threshold of installed customers is reached?

- B
N/A

There are two articles on the AG site. One regarding LLU reductions, and the other regarding capacity based charged IPStream.

As it notes, these new price schemes, are not capped in themselves. You just pay more for the central, less per port cost and are able to have more sessions per pipe.

Because of the price increase on the pipes, ISPs would have little choice but to increase customer numbers per pipe, or face price increases rather than reductions from it.

The side effect is, the more customers per pipe, the quicker they saturate. Hence the capacity charging.

By limiting customers usage, you are infact helping to gurentee a contention level on the pipes. Though they still run the risk of saturation at peak times.
Ianwild
Grafter

Er... We have already responded to the IPStream price drop, hence 512K ADSL for 14.99! More exciting things will follow on products of other speeds. On uncapped products the new pricing schemes really won't make a difference I'm afraid.

Ian
N/A

said on TV BT has slashed prices by 70% for companys using its ADSL exchanges.
Surely that means you.
N/A

No. TV has got it wrong.

These price cuts relate to LLU. There have been price cuts elsewhere, however, these are offset by increased costs in other aspects of the service.
N/A

TV reporter ,and his/her editor, obviously has no idea of how broadband operates and simply hears the word "broadband". How often have the media made such mistakes.

It's a bit like the weatherman who stated there was a broadband of rain moving across the country, only to have a viewer phone in and ask if that meant it was going to come down up to 10 times faster :lol:
N/A

TV reporter ,and his/her editor, obviously has no idea of how broadband operates and simply hears the word "broadband". How often have the media made such mistakes.

It's a bit like the weatherman who stated there was a broadband of rain moving across the country, only to have a viewer phone in and ask if that meant it was going to come down up to 10 times faster :lol:

Cheesy Cheesy

Well its was ITN news so i would of thought they would of got it right but its all good..Just wish BT didn't have the monopoly on phonelines in this country.