cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BITTORRENT

N/A

BITTORRENT

If you router supports upnp enable that, then also if your BT client supports upnp enable that.

see what ports it set's up and put those in manually.

You could also reserve the DHCP addy your mac is given on the router.

that way you will always get the same internal IP on your laptop,which makes things a little simpler.
9 REPLIES
N/A

BitTorrent speeds in OS X / port forwarding issues

I have a 2mb plus account and really only need this speed to download torrents.

However the speeds Im getting are pitifully slow - ranging from 2bytes a second(!) to 4-5k/sec. The maximum total I have ever seen (adding up all downloading torrent speeds) is 30k/s.

Ive tried forwarding my ports, although this is problematic as I have a dynamic IP. Ive just today upgraded my account to Premium, purely to obtain a Static IP so Ii use my DLink-504s port fprwarding for BitTorrent.

This has made no difference at all.

Is there anyone here with experience of port forwarding who can give me some advice? Ive selected ports 10000 - 10010 in my Dlink xcontrol panel, and am forwarding them to 192,168.1.2 (port map 2)

Is this correct? Thats the IP I get in my Internet connection panel in Preferences. Really, im a bit of a novice at this stuff...

Or is this a problem with PlusNETS configuration - and would I be better off moving to a different supplier? All I want to use my ADSL for is Torrents/Limewire/gaming - and of course faster browsing.

Any help would be greatly apppreciated

Cheers
Alecto
Grafter

The Plus account is not recommended for P2P, and the speeds you are getting are the best you can expect on that account.
You will need to upgrade to Premier to use torrents satisfactorily.
N/A

Re: BitTorrent speeds in OS X / port forwarding issues

Ive just today upgraded my account to Premium, purely to obtain a Static IP so Ii use my DLink-504s port fprwarding for BitTorrent.

This has made no difference at all.
Cheers
N/A

port forwarding

i use port forwarding on my router and i use ports, 9900, and 9901 try those i get good speeds with them.
Cool
N/A

Thanks guys

So am I right to be forwarding to 192.168.1.2 ?

I realise that this can change from machine to machine / router to router, but does it sound right? Rather than my public visible IP which is xx.xx.149.101

I still have to connnect using DHCP - if I select 'connect manually' and type in this address I get the following error:

192.168.1.2 is in use by (my ethernet address)

I want to make sure i have everything set up to optimise my download speeds before I decide to move to a new suplier or not.

TIA
N/A

Try here:

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Its an excellent resource for setting up port forwarding and has instructions for most routers (just scroll down the page a bit) on all popular bit torrent clients Cheesy
N/A

thanks Smiley
but thats where I got the original info. The instructions tell me to use manual connection - but thats when I get the error.

I think I have port forwarding set up correctly on my router (port set to 10000 in BitTorrent, forwarding ports 10000 to 10010 from the router)

The problems seems to be that this wont work unless I have a static IP, and coonnect manually (ie use my computer to set the IP rather than letting my router assign it). The setup instructions are here:

http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm

I guess I need another OS X bod to give me a hand setting up my static IP connections - from what I can glean from various online tutorials I need to specify my IP manually as 192.168.1.2 but that gves me the error.

n order to set up port forwarding I need to have my network settings set to manual (not using DHCP), as described here:

hope that all makes sense, my brain is melting
N/A

Probably something you have already thought of, but its the only thing that I can think of. Have you powered downing your router before assigning the static IP. The router may still be reserving the previous DHCP IP addy and therefore wont let you connect with that number. Other than that, I dont know. Good luck. Port Forwarding makes a huge difference - I sometimes max out my line now, but only got 30KB\s before it was set up.
N/A

thanks for your help mate - Im going to give it a couple of days as I only upgraded my account to premium today, perhaps it takes a while to go through. Also going to try rebooting everything and see what happens.

I'll be sure to post here if it works - might help a future OS X bitTorrent user

thanks again

J