cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBPlus got real competion now

N/A

I bet this will get deleted...

Has anyone else seen another BB providers deal? I shall not say the name of the company for fear of this thread getting binned, but they are offering a product in direct compairion to BB Plus. The only things that are different is that you get 20GB of included usage at peak (which is 6pm to midnight) and then offpeak has no limits. It looks as though they have got a similar setup with some ellacoyas.

Oh dear PlusNet. :shock:

I wonder if this will have any effect on them? :roll:
22 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

At £14.99?
N/A

Yep. :lol:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Come on give a link so that we can see what the catch is!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Are you talking about this news item?
Community Veteran

However, a small number of customers use more than their “fair share” of Internet bandwidth during peak hours. We often see less than 1% of customers using a disproportionate amount of Internet bandwidth during peak hours. These customers degrade the performance of our broadband service by taking bandwidth away from customers who use the service fairly.

Now where have I read that before?
Community Veteran

Restrictions will only be applied if you exceed your peak time limit in two consecutive months.

Oh dear! I wonder how long it will be before they discover the gaping hole in that idea?
N/A

Hmmm...

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp?eclipse=ON&plusnet=ON&cmp_action=Compare

Also, for £3 more I get double the fair use limit...I guess if plusnet can't sort out my usenet problems then it's time for a move.

Even I, with 4 years loyalty, am finding it difficult to justify staying with plusnet :roll:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

I think that all that really needs to be done is a bit of maths.

At £14.99, £8.40 immediately goes to BT for the port and £2.23 to the VAT man which leaves £4.36 to pay for everything else, central pipes, staff and support, building costs, transit links, servers and network equipment.

Even running a 622Mbps pipe flat out 24/7 you don't get much change out of 50p per GB. Real cost of a peak time GB is easily nearer a £1 if not more.

You have to wonder how a service like that can make any money.
Community Veteran

You have to wonder how a service like that can make any money.

Especially when people realise that if they alternate months of downloading flat out with months keeping below the 20GB they don't get restricted in any way.
N/A

I wasn't really commenting on the price as the reason for not staying with plusnet.

Up until recently, PN have been my first choice ISP and I've even recommended them to friends (although only one ever saw fit to give me a referral :rollSmiley. I no longer feel able to recommend PN to anyone.

My main reason for considering leaving plusnet is problems with non-http traffic since traffic shaping was introduced (#1). The secondary reason would not being able to get a straight answer from support (#2).

If #1 didn't exist then I could happily ignore and/or put up with #2 Cheesy

As a bit of a P.S., I pay £21.99 for my 1mb, rather troubled (especially nntp & p2p), connection. I know I use more than the average consumer and I would have no problem in paying up to around £25 (or even £30) per month if things were trouble free. Higher speeds don't interest me as my line won't support anything higher than 1mb.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

What sort of problems and speeds are you seeing and are you seeing the same problems both peak and off peak? There was a problem last week with Usenet for some customers, this should now be fixed so long as you've disconnect/reconnected.
N/A

Problem:
Unable to connect (timing out or excessively slow) to giganews

When:
Peak times (approx 5pm - 2am, can't say about earlier but seems ok 2am til at least 9.30am)

For how long:
Two to three weeks

Disconnected/reconnected?
Yes, several times, also rebooted all equipment at various times.

Tried getting support:
Yes, through these forums and was assured it was fixed. Now trying via "contact us" but not really getting anywhere

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

You are not the only one reporting usenet connection / speed problems since it was 'fixed'
N/A

Ah ha, pretty much exactly the service im looking for now PN cannot supply my 10GB of month useage (went over this moth though).

Plusnet you were realy good and very competitive when you offered deal like this. Ive heard nothing but good words about eclipse so i will certainly be looking at them along with another company now.

£14.99 - 20GB peak and unlimited off peak

£18.99 (£17.99 if you pay the year up front) - 25GB unmanged in any way useage then 99p per GB you go over.

PN your just not competitve enough now. According to the poll in the member centre you get over 50% of your custom from you being recommended by mouth, and to be honest how many people that would recommend you 3 months ago would do so now.