cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+ to Premier upgrade, peak-time speedtests and opinion

Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Well, as promised, the first of my peak-time tests. This is the point where BB+ would start falling apart for me, getting laggier and burstier as the evening wore on.

Some of my BB+ speedtests too were quite misleading, as even though some would show 1Mbps or over, which would, all else being equal, still give decent browsing. However, the actual browsing experience was far more akin to dialup what with all the aforementioned lagginess/burstiness and so on.

Anyway, so far so good. Browsing sites is still as nippy as it was at good off-peak times. The speedtest is a bit down from off-peak line speed mind, but this is not noticable when surfing pages. BBC News, eBay, a few forums I lurk on are all loading up in the blink of an eye.

I cannot give owt to do with Usenet speeds, as I only use text-groups on plusnets own server, and as for p2p I rarely use that, and then only off-peak times. As for FTP, I'll find some FTP sites to play with later. However, seeing as I rarely used FTP at peak times when I was on BB+, it's not like I can give a valid opinion or comparison.

BBMax 17:20

Download Speed: 4749 kbps (593.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 389 kbps (48.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Right, let's see how things go as the evening progresses...
6 REPLIES
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Small update before I nip out for a chinese..

Just tried a small download from ftp.blueyonder.co.uk , the only external FTP site that I could think of at short notice.. Smallish 2.2Mb or thereabouts file came down in a couple of seconds, with a download speed of over 700Kb/s.

Web sites still nice and nippy, no lagginess/burstiness so far. To sum up, things still a hell of a lot better than BB+ was at this time last night.
Liam
Grafter

Web sites still nice and nippy, no lagginess/burstiness so far. To sum up, things still a hell of a lot better than BB+ was at this time last night.

That's because you're more for a better product... Makes sense really :-)

Glad it's sorted you though.
N/A

i just done my test aswell i used the plusnet bandwidth tester and i got 6525.8 kbps What r u using lozharrison for speed test i will use the same and give feedback based on that test...?

however everythign is excellent i cant really see any change from other than its faster than ever, its the best move i made to premier, i would highly reccommend to those peeps who are on BB+ with problems, Thanks to the mods and lozharrison. It took me 3 mins to upgrade and further 15 mins to wait to for the confirmation by plusnet and restarted the router and there u go... on premier.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Heh. Liam, I spotted that edit.. Tongue

Back later to bore the pants off you lot with some more tests and results, and feel free to add your own results/opinions. The more info, the better.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Further update, and things are still flying along. Honestly, this is chalk and cheese compared to BB+ last night, for example.

Pages, BBC News, eBay, various others still loading up as quick as I've ever seen them, and BBMax speedtest is looking good.

BBMax 21:35

Download Speed: 6002 kbps (750.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 389 kbps (48.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Another small file off the blueyonder FTP server, mIRC 6.03 this time, 1.15mb file, down in 2 seconds, 593Kb/s according to IE.

As before, so far so good. A hell of a difference compared to what BB+ has been like lately...
N/A

You ought to be on commision loz - I'm seriously tempted to join you as the grass definately seems greener on Premier Cheesy

Although, when you think about it - it is half as much again as BB+ so you should be getting better performance.
Glad it's worked out for you mate Wink