cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+to PAYG - some good news

geoffers
Grafter

Hoping this won't be the kiss of death, but...

Took +net advice and upgraded from BB+ to PAYG (2Gb), which will cost no more as I average around 1Gb.

The good news..

* I now have peak time speeds around 4Mb - 5Mbps
* My router has experienced no disconnects since changeover and is synched at 6784.
* I have all the other bells & whistles(more web-space, mySql database, CGI website, static IP etc)

The bad news - there is no bad news (so that should be good news Wink )

Previously I'd been getting speeds as low as 200kbps until 10:30, when it would rocket to > 3Mbps

So for me it's been a good move - even if I needed up to 4G it would only be £1.50 more per month, which seems worth it to cut the grief.

Cheers, Geoff
34 REPLIES
Azagoth
Grafter

I'm glad for you, but I don't see why we should be press-ganged into switching product just because Plusnet are that inept that they can't deliver what they advertise.
geoffers
Grafter

I must admit I was initially gutted with the +net "change product" response - but when I realised there was no real cost implication, thought it was worth a try.

I guess that when I signed up, without really knowing what the differences between products were, I assumed the BB+ was the better product, so this could be more of "poor product advertising" than +net's intention to screw everyone...
TheFlyingGribbl
Grafter

Same here. Just downloading a game trailer at 618KByte/s. Was lucky recently if I got 618KBits/s.
mojorisin
Grafter

If i upgrade to PAYG and then change my mind can i change back to BB+ without cost ?

Also if i change to PAYG does this then scrub the deffered activation fee ?

Might be worth it for the better gaming speeds

Also can you pay the extra 2gb upfront ?

and do your referrals carry over from BB+ to PAYG

would mean that with the extra 2gb it would only cost £16 then
Highlighted
Azagoth
Grafter

Yeah, I'd like to know the same things as hippy70 too. Plus, if I go over the 2GB limit will another 2GB be automatically paid for or will I have to manually ask for it?

Also, will my webspace still be at the same address and will the billing date for the direct debit be the same too?
mcsheepie
Grafter

Plus, if I go over the 2GB limit will another 2GB be automatically paid for or will I have to manually ask for it?

You get billed automatically, £1.80(?) per 2GB chunk. Cheaper to pre-pay.

I reluctantly changed to PAYG and now have a different speed problem, stuck at 2MB (sync at 812Cool. Mind you it is beter than 200kbps.
Oh and yesterday i had no internet at all. Called the help line who asked me to reboot my modem, said i already had, they asked me to re-enter my user details, said i already had, they then suggested i reboot my modem...

And, my deferred fees came with me.
mojorisin
Grafter

if i go for the 2gb extra and then decide to go back will i incurr the £14.99 to downgrade to BB+ again ?

also the peak time is different would be worried that more peak time will be used ie from 8am to midnight !!

could work out a lot dearer

might try it for a month and see what happens
mojorisin
Grafter

ok took the plunge but nothing has happened even after rebooting my router

it said on the page after buying it can take 5 -7 days to complete !!!
mcsheepie
Grafter

Mine took a couple of hours, didn't need to reboot either. My speeds just suddenly increased
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you set your included allowance to 4GB it will add £1.50 to the basic cost. If you leave it at the default 2GB allowance it will cost you an extra £1.80. If you think you will only go over the 2GB mark occasionally it's probably better to stay on the 2GB allowance and be careful!

There is normally nothing happens when you go past your allowance except you get an email to say it has happened. The £1.80 is automatically added to your next bill. However, to prevent costs running away (say you left a page looking at a web cam open in the background), PAYG has a feature called Data Transfer Watch:
With a Data Transfer Watch, you can easily manage how much you pay for your broadband each month. When your monthly costs reach the amount you enter, your broadband connection will be stopped and no further data transfer charges will be added to your account. If you want to continue using broadband, you can instantly increase your Data Transfer Watch amount.

Changing to PAYG has no effect on your deferred payments - they will be as before - sorry!

Referrals are also unaffected - you will still get the same amount as at present.

If you change your included allowance down to 2GB (i.e. £14.99) then the following month you should be able to change back for free. Or if you sweet talk one of the Comms team by saying that you tried PAYG and it didn't suit they will probably do it for free for you.

Billing date wont change.

Webspace won't change.

I think I've picked up all the questions!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

The 5-7 days is a reference to if you are doing an account change which involves BT changing something at the exchange.

Going from BB+ to PAYG should take no more than 10 minutes. However some people have had problems with their stable rate resetting to 2000. See the last section in my How To post linked from my signature.
mojorisin
Grafter

one other thing where do you find out what your static ip will be ?
Community Veteran

I doubt you can find out in advance, but once you have changed over you will have a new icon in Connection Settings:

This tells you your IP.

Edit: You can also find your current IP by visiting somewhere like http://whatsmyip.net/
mojorisin
Grafter

Cheers for all your help elvin guess i just need to wait ..lol

nice one Cheesy