Did you mean: 

BB premier and P2P work a charm

N/A

Hi all

just a mini review of plusnet service.

Test platform is based on the following hardware

windows Xp sp1
Alcatel speed touch USB 1.4 drivers (old ones do not work)
AMD64 1 gig 266 ram
1 sata drive 80gig

connected to a 30 foot phone cable (cheap one 2)

So far on tests of large 99.9 percent files on plusnet has worked quite well.

DC++ full speed of downloading from users and uploads not a bad test at all
FTP 1000 files max speed multiple uploads most of the time it works in one shot.
Bittorrent (generally sux) but plusnet has peaked at 39k for a 24 hour test. With only 16 seeds (max)
Limewire (forget it)
Overnet (average but I put that down to how overnet works and also the popularity of any given file) in tests of a popular file 15 to 40 k max

General internet connections perfect works all the time.

Streaming media tests absolutely ding dong. 48 hour test very few glitches .

Virus detection with plusnet was off and created a headache for 2 days this is the main concern with plusnet service it should be set to on by default to protect paying customers from spam viruses.

Other wise so far plusnet has delivered with a lower cost broadband experience Far better then the rip off price of ** (not to slander the company we so dearly love)

Drivers are an essential part with certain modems make sure you test with old and new to find the cause. In my case it was the drivers and not the plusnet service (still not sure why the old drivers did not work)

Thats my 2 cents with extreme tests (at last i can have a silent night with no pc on) :0)

Regards to all that read this
42 REPLIES
N/A

Good for you. Wait until you have downloaded over 15GB of either P2P or Usnet traffic.

Then you'll be adding yuor voice to the 44 page thread...
N/A

Good for you. Wait until you have downloaded over 15GB of either P2P or Usnet traffic.

Then you'll be adding your voice to the 44 page thread...

But there is No 15GB Limit on P2P :shock: . or have i missed something
N/A

I'm fairly certain that both NNTP and P2P are similarly throttled, with both protocols couting toward the 15GB.

We'll know soon enough.

Have a look at: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36277

Come on community, which is it?
Alecto
Grafter

The 15GB applies to usenet, on the grounds that the first 15GB have a higher priority and should run quickly. It doesn not apply to P2P.

P2P does not have this priority for the first 15GB and runs constantly in the bronze queue, so however much or little P2P you use, it does not get throttled any more than it normally would. When traffic is light, P2P runs quite quickly for most people (subject to number of seeds etc etc), and at busy times, P2P is slowed down somewhat - PN say by up to 10%, but it may be more.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I'm fairly certain that both NNTP and P2P are similarly throttled, with both protocols couting toward the 15GB.

P2P has nothing at all to do with the 15GB Usenet allowance. That is purely for usenet content.

Also, after the 15GB level is reached, usenet is still usable, 30kB/s may sound slow, however you can still get 2GB a day at that speed.
N/A

A whole day to dload less then half a DVD! whoopie! Evil
Ben_Brown
Grafter

2GB is more than a lot of our users use in a whole month.
N/A

Yes I know the hallowed 99% right? :roll: Noobs who don't know how to utilise their net connection, and only browse the web and do email. This type of customer will become less and less in the future, and I reckon now, your business model will not work.
N/A

Posts such as the above are not constructive and are helpful to no-one.

Please keep posts reasoned and constructive.

Whilst some people have understandable concerns at present, posting comments like that will acheive nothing nor will they progress any consideration or development towards an understanding of the concerns.

Lets keep constructive and reasoned debate going here and keep it cool.

Thanks.
N/A

:x I don't think anything boycies said could even remotely warrant that kind of response pcsni!

He was merely putting forward the notion that he believes PN's policies are going against the grain of future BB trends, and are ultimately unsustainable... How is that not reasoned and constructive?

Seems to me that you're just throwing your mod weight around because he's said something you don't like!
N/A

Just because people dont use P2P or usenet does not mean they dont know how to use the internet or are noob's.

As an IT professional I use my connection to the fullest extent for my needs as do my clients. I dont use P2P nor usenet. Does that make me a noob? Damn sure it doesnt.

My comments stand. The post was unreasonable and unconstructive.
N/A

mmm that's a bit harsh pcsni, did you get out the wrong side of the bed this morning? I'm just saying what the majority think, if you don't agree with that, then that's your opinion. I don't think it was unconstructive at all. Even if you don't use nntp and p2p, I'm sure you use more than the web and email to. So no you wouldn't fall into the 'ideal' customer model +net seem to be striving for these days. Ok using the term noob was maybe wrong, but it certainly seems to be the type of user +net are keen to attract now, whereas historically +net were well known, and had a good reputation for supporting the more net savvy users amongst us.
N/A

Well, lets face it... Most noobs don't know how to use P2P or Newsgroups do they?

Noob isn't particularly an offensive term is it, so why the over reaction?

And so what, you're an IT professional, they're ten a penny these days, that doesn't mean that he was wrong in general terms does it?

P2P is growing rapidly. Do you think it is a coincidence that it is growing faster now that more people are becoming computer literate and learning the full benefits of fast and large file downloads available on BB?

Just because you don't use your BB in a certain way, doesn't mean that everyone is the same.

The increasing trend and the increasing uptake of home BB would indicate that you're a shrinking minority, not the norm.

So stand by your statement all you like.. It doesn't mean you were right in making it, and it certainly doesn't mean you were justified in making it.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I'm just saying what the majority think

The majority of customers don't use usenet or P2P and their total usage for a month is far below 15GB.