cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+ peak-time usage limit?

Azagoth
Grafter

Could someone please clarify the limit set for BB+ during peak-time?

I've been assuming that it's 3GB, due to that limit being quoted all over these forums, however Plusnet's own SUP page show it as 10GB with the warning mail sent at 8GB!

So, which one is it? 3GB or 8-10GB?
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

It is very inconsistent and very annoying, to say the least.
A related issue is that for BB+ users there's no information about how aggressively throttling is applied beyond the statement that downloads
will "get progressively slower" over the 3GB (or is it 8GB or 10GB?) limit.
PN give apparently unambiguous information about bit-rates for the other products. Why not for BB+ ... ?
N/A

Re: BB+ peak-time usage limit?

So, which one is it? 3GB or 8-10GB?

Or is it unlimited, which the term "no fixed download limits" can imply, as referred to on this thread and this thread
Mand
Grafter

Hi

The traffic management policy allows 3GB of data on advanced protocols during peak times, after this restrictions will be applied during peak times on p2p, usenet, and FTP. These restrictions apply until your next billing date. Only these protocols are limited under this policy.

The SUP (where the data you supplied is from) remains in place to prevent usage over and above the design of the product, should these limits be exceeded management is much stricter across all protocols, and harder to remove after the first instance.
N/A

The restrictions on Usenet and peer-to-peer (I don't remember having problems with FTP) were pretty harsh to start with, and I remembered being timed out when trying to connect to news servers even at quiet periods (0100 to 0500).

What speeds to users on BB Plus get at the start of their billing month, when they have definitely not exceeded any traffic limits, I wonder (open question to anyone on BB Plus and using Usenet for binary downloads)...

hmmmm... please can a moderator delete this post, as that option is not showing for me.
N/A

The restrictions on Usenet and peer-to-peer (I don't remember having problems with FTP) were pretty harsh to start with, and I remembered being timed out when trying to connect to news servers even at quiet periods (0100 to 0500). I moved on to the 19.99 PAYG 10 GB account when it was available, because things were hopeless on BB Plus, at the time.

What speeds do users on BB Plus get at the start of their billing month, when they have definitely not exceeded any traffic limits, I wonder (open question to anyone on BB Plus and using Usenet for binary downloads)...
N/A

I get about 600 k/s at the beginning of the month. I get 8MB connection , however the speed given by the speed test shows about 6MB
Community Veteran

Mand, I remain really unclear about this and feel you haven't answered the OPs question (or the supplementary qs). Referring to "advanced protocols" is ambiguous in itself for the sort of users that are likely to subscribe to BB+. I assume you mean p2p and ftp?

Could we have a breakdown per protocol of expected speeds up to 3GB, and over 3GB; and could we have clarification of what the 8GB and 10GB limits refer to?

For myself it doesn't matter too much as I rarely use even 2GB and never use p2p or ftp, but in the interests of clarity I don't mind if you spell it out in words of one syllable ...

thanks
Paul
N/A

From what i understand....from 3GB(peak) P2P and usenet are heavily throttled.

From 10GB(peak) your internet connection is restricted to 128kb (warning e-mail sent at 8GB)
N/A

Advanced protocols = usenet, FTP and P2P
Fixes: 115

AFAIK the first time you go over the SUP you are restricted to 128K download till the end of the billing month but the restiction can be lifted by upgrading to a more expensive package.

The second time you go over the SUP the restictions will stay in place after the end of your current billing cycle and until you upgrade to a more expensive package.

What has not been clarified is whether the permanant restrictions apply if you only go over the SUP in subsquential months or whether they could be several months apart.

HTH.

Also see this thread http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=42167&highlight=

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still