cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+ for anything other than surfing ?

N/A

just signed up to BB+, without doing as much reading as i should have and the speeds i get are, to say the least, bad.
bit torrent is unusable, average speed using PN speed test is 30k/s and if we have more than one computer connected browsing becomes as slow as dial up.

i was wondering how other people have faired using BB+, if there is something wrong with my connection, or BB+ is purely for surfing and to do anything more i need to upgrade ?

thanks
11 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

BB Plus is not really much use for anything except surfing, email, and perhaps listening to online radio. Its service is basic as described on the signup pages and as reflected in the price. If you want to make greater use of your connection with P2P, large downloads etc, you need to upgrade to the Premier up to 2Mb package at £21.99.
You can do this without an upgrade fee via My Account/Connection Settings, on the portal (left hand side of this page)
The change will happen almost without delay.
N/A

There's something wrong with your connection. Speed test results are slow for even a 512kbps line.

I only upgraded to Premier becuase of the torrents and usenet.

Plus package is fine for very large full-speed downloads via http. As for radio etc, with a 1MB conection on BB Plus you can have napster on-demand streaming (so-called) "CD" quality music whilst browsing at broadband speeds on your other networked computers.

As for P2P on Plus, SoulSeek works as fast as the user you connect to can upload. It's essentially unthrottled (at the moment...).

Seriously, the only problem is with torrents and usenet (unusable) and most P2P. Limewire and Ares may not work on Plus now (Ares did a few months ago) but it's by no means certain if Premier is that much better,
N/A

Hi there stalkers,

Welcome to the forums.

Yip if that speed test is correct then somthings not right.

2 things to check first.

Try the ADSL Guide Speed Test and post the results then try a BT Speed Test.

When running the speed tests, make sure nothing on your network is using the connection. It might also be worthwhile running a virus scan and malware/spyware scan on all netwroked systems.

Let us know how you get on.
N/A

hello
thanks for the responses. looks like an upgrade is on the cards.
adsl guide speed test has given me the same reults as PN's however at 10am today i did a 2nd BT speed test and got 1.8M.
So this has lead me to think that there is nothing wrong with my line ?
and it is to do with contention ?

also i was wondering slightly off the original topic how the throtteling works. Is it just specific ports that are anti-throttled or are packets monitored ?

maybe BB+ can stay Huh
Alecto
Grafter

That would indicate that your line is OK. Contention and/or throttling can slow you down, plus of course whatever else is happening on your computer at the time.( I remember the day I did a speed test and I'd forgotten torrents were running in the background.)

All the traffic is examined using Deep Packet Inspection and classed as either Gold, Silver or Bronze - see Plusnet's vision for details.
These equate to first class, second class and third class, so Bronze traffic, including P2P is slowed down the most.

So there's no need for plusnet to bother checking individual ports.
N/A

BB Plus ... Its service is basic as described on the signup pages ...

The description has been changed in recent times, and previously it was described as unsuitable for file sharing (and staff commented that for heavy downloading, it would be best to use Premier).

If you want to make greater use of your connection with P2P, large downloads etc, you need to upgrade

Thing is, how about someone who wants to get maybe 200 MB off binary newsgroups each week or month... They don't get close to the 15 GB limit but access to any server carrying binaries is timing out, so one cannot even get the headers.

Now Plus.Net staff say (in a reply via 'contact us') that "The Plus account has never been advertised as being an account suitable for usenet or P2P access, as it has always been described as heavily traffic shaped on these applications." (from memory, it only said that 'speed would be reduced during busy periods', not that it was not suitable, and the portal only mentioned 'file sharing' without ever mentioning news/Usenet at all) and "the Plus account does allow potential access, however this is not guaranteed." (that's their take on how it is now, with the 'traffic calming' making it practically useless 24x7 for binaries, IME)

That last bit about the Plus account was when I compared current service with Home Surf - at least with Home Surf one knew when signing up that binaries were deliberately blocked. The way things are it seems that binaries are being blocked by stealth - no firm statement that binaries are no longer allowed, just a "small" change in the wording to say 'potential' without any 'guarantee'

What happened to "open and honest" or does this type of change amount to one step too far where the service is not meeting what was expected if it, and it might be "unfit for purpose".
Alecto
Grafter

@goodvalueisp
I was only trying to help, and stating the situation as it is now. If you want to do anything other than surf and email, you want premier.
Whatever you may or may not think about it doesn't change it.
N/A

Certainly I cannot change it, but Plus.Net has changed the details and handling from the account I signed up for... I'm not unhappy that the changes have actually improved speed for anyone wanting text-only newsgroups (though disappointed that people seem to report finding text.usenet.plus.net only by reading some other posting, rather than being told of it by Plus.Net.)

Stewart Norriss mentioned a text server but since then I've seen nothing official to tell customers about text.usenet.plus.net and I've had another look today at the 'At a glance' server settings list (Help > Self Help > Features > Server Settings Guide)

No mention of any news servers, but PlusTalk gets a mention Smiley If one is meant to be unable to use Usenet / Peer-to-Peer at all, that should be made very clear on the Product page for Broadband Plus. I do hope you'd at least agree on that aspect!

It isn't made clear, that binary newsgroups are practically impossible to use, and only states " Broadband Plus is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads."

So for someone wanting under 200 MB a week of (for example), MP3s, from Usenet, the Broadband Plus account would seem suitable. After all, I have no problems downloading a 150 + MB game in one go, and at reasonable speed. I don't consider that especially 'large' compared with what people on Premier using P2P/Usenet (with that 15 GB limit) are doing.

Question is, does Plus.Net consider 200 MB of MP3s to be too much of a strain on the news server... It seems so, despite there being nothing to state it being as good as blocked, and deemed 'unsuitable'.
Community Veteran

I have a 2mb (1.1mb usable) BB+ connection, I use it for surfing file downloading (not p2p) email and gaming. My usage in a month is currently around 10 to 15gig. I get 120k per second downloads which is about right for my line speed.

So far I have had a hassle free time here. I currently have a connection problem but that is not ISP related, so for what I am paying I believe I am getting a reasonable deal.
N/A

I get 120k per second downloads which is about right for my line speed. ... for what I am paying I believe I am getting a reasonable deal.

In the main, I'd agree, it's a good deal. If you have a Usenet news reader (or MS Outlook Express), try connecting to text.usenet.plus.net (no username/password needed).. Get a list of the newsgroups. Should find it is quite fast doing that.

Then try doing the same for usenet.plus.net

you might find it says timeout after about 10 minutes

(in case any problems are because it is between 16:00 and midnight, so a "busy time", try again, as early in the day as possible).

I don't use P2P but I would like to get a few MB (note, not GB, I went down to 750 MB free on my HD this week) of binaries off the newsgroup alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.jazz

(but recently I have been unable to even get the headers to download, even at 3am, 4am, 5am, 6am, when it should be considered 'quiet'). If you get the same (low to no) speed as I get, trying to use usenet.plus.net you might see why I am not quite as happy...
N/A

alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.jazz was the first NG I visted after upgrading...

Agree P2P is is only recently "unusable" on BB+. 100kb/s off peak, as was possible, is not unusable. At the same time, I was gettign 20kb/s downloads on BB+ using Usenet.

Then it became impossible to even get a complete group list on BB+ (from either PlusNet or a third party server) and it was taking a long time to connect to and read text groups I'd added manually.

If you want jazz get SoulSeek (which is not throttled on BB+ in my experience).