cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Speeds - Master/Test Socket

N/A

Right, firstly apologies as this is pretty long winded but please stick with it as any help would be much appreciated :

I’ve been reading about how plugging the modem directly into the test socket behind the master socket sometimes makes a difference so decided to give that a go. In my house there is a master BT NTE5 socket and another unbranded socket immediately next to it and nothing else (why it is like that I have no idea – it was like that when we moved in).

When plugging the router into the normal faceplate I get stats of :
• 448 kbps upstream / 1728 kbps downstream
• Noise margin (SNR) 20dB up / 9dB down
• Attenuation 61dB up / 50dB down

WITHOUT the faceplate I get the same SNR and attenuation BUT my downstream rockets up to 5376 kbps!!!

From what I’ve read this must mean either something else on the line is affecting the broadband or my internal wiring isn’t the best. The only other thing that is connected to the phone line is an ADT alarm which I didn’t even know it was connected until I plugged the router into the test socket, thereby cutting everything else out, and the alarm went crazy with a ‘telecoms error’.

I could quite happily live with just having the modem plugged straight into the test socket for that sort of speed increase (the socket is hidden anyway) but the alarm is a real pain. So, has anyone had this problem and can give me some advice or can suggest another way I can improve my speeds without plugging directly into the test socket?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. Cheesy
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The easy solution - without delving into your wiring - is to fit a xte-2005 filtered faceplate http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php and a disposable connection tool to connect your other wiring to the back of it.
N/A

Thanks for the quick response.

Would the installation of that new face plate be easy enough to do. I have, in my tinkerings thus far today, managed to unwire and re-wire the current sockets successfully so if that is as technical as it is then it is worth a go.
Community Veteran

Very simple - it must be as I did it using a pair of tweezers to push the wires in (please don't tell my wife as they were her best pair). This is the instructions which are very basic. http://www.adslnation.com/downloads/docs/XTE-2005_Guide.pdf
I assume that all the other wires are connected to the removable faceplate - so all you do is attach them to the same connections on the back of the filtered faceplate
N/A

:lol: I thought my gf was strange having a 'best' pair of tweezers, it's obviously more common than I thought.

Thanks for you help, I've ordered the faceplate so hopefully that will give me the best of both worlds in a working alarm and 5MB+ speeds.
N/A

I've heard of an old credit card with a slot cut into it being used successfully!

The important thing is to make sure that you don't push the terminals apart within the connection.

(IDC = Insulation Displacement Connector)

Without a good onnection caused by the pressure of the terminals, you could negate the benefits of changing it!

The IDC Punchdown tools aren't that expensive IIRC B&Q sell the 'proper' ones which also trim the excess cable, as well as 'home' ones which just push the wire in safely.
Community Veteran

When rewiring the new faceplate it is only necessary to connect two leads.

Go a quick google on "ring wire removal" for full details.

Otherwise your speeds will drop again.

Chilly
Snarf
Grafter

Hmm interesting. Your line stats are very much the same as mine (I get 59dB attenuation and 9dB SNR down) and usually connect around 1750kbps.

Unfortunately I don't have a test socket as you describe, just a bunch of normal sockets with one master.

Looking forward to the engineer coming now, maybe I'll be getting 5Mbps too Smiley
Community Veteran

When rewiring the new faceplate it is only necessary to connect two leads.

Go a quick google on "ring wire removal" for full details.

Otherwise your speeds will drop again.

Chilly
With the filtered faceplate you should leave the ring wire connected otherwise the other phones may not ring.
I checked this point specifically with ADSLNation.
Also I can confirm from my experience that having the ring wire connected with their filtered faceplate creates no problems. I went through the whole ring wire removal etc before fitting the faceplate
EDIT - link added
N/A

Thanks for all your responses. I've now ordered the faceplate and got the despatch email so should be here Monday with any luck. Also going to go to B&Q over the weekend for an IDC tool to make me feel that bit more professional than using tweezers...

I've already disconnected the ring wire and that made no difference but, seeing as I only use the one master socket anyway, I'll probably just leave it that way.

I'll let you know how it goes as I'm sure you are all just dying to find out...

If I get 5Mbps after all of this I'll travel round the country and buy you all a pint!
Community Veteran

Thanks holtlane for the correction.

I only have experience of disconnecting the ring wire with an unfiltered face plate.

Its not really practical to leave my router by the BT master socket as its in the kids play room. And its location prevents me from running a cat5 cable from it, so I have to use the router on an extension, with separate microfilters.

Chilly
N/A

Well, firstly I'd highly recommend for adslnation - ordered the face plate at 1630 on Friday and it arrived Saturday morning.

Installed it just now (just used tweezers) and currently geting speeds not quite as fast as the other day (varying somewhere in the 4Huh range) but still considerably faster than previously and I hope it will vary upwards in the coming days.

Just have to reconnect for the net few days until my line profile updates now...

Thanks again for all your help.
Snarf
Grafter

Just to let you know, I disconnected the ring wire in my master socket, I now connect at around 400kbps above what I did before. However although at first this bought me an extra 20Kb/s in download speed my line quickly dropped a couple of times (Mand confirmed that my line stats hadn't actually changed). Now I'm still connecting at higher speeds, but getting similar download speeds compared to those before the ring wire was disconnected.

Anyway, the BT Engineer is here tomorrow so I will see what he/she has to say.