cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Premier slowwww

Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Hi folks, I@m on MAXDsl and had a load of trouble in Feb but it's all been stable since the beginning of March, 'til now that is. Got back from a break at Easter and I keep getting DC'd, run some speed tests this morning as it seems very slowwww. I'm connected to the Master socket, one extension, new(ish) filters.

U/l speed seems fine, d/l speed is pants. Router reports speeds of 8064 down and 448 up. I've been trying to get a similar problem with a referral sorted out for ages as well (the BT speed test won't complete on their line, gets to 96% and hangs, so I'm getting nowhere fast there.)

Anyone got any idea what's going on?
15 REPLIES
Mand
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Hi there,

The likelyhood is that BT Wholesale have reduced your IP profile due to the disconnections you've been experiencing.

I'd recommend raising an intermittent connection fault after checking the connection with just the router connected to the master socket. This will eliminate internal wiring/unfiltered devices as the issue and should save some time.

Fixing the disconnections will, in the majority of cases, fix the speed issues.
Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

I've unplugged the extension, and run a BT speed test, it reports a profile of 7Mb but recommends I run a second test logged in as bt_test_user@plusdsl.net. When I do this I get a DNS error - unable to find server speedtester.bt.com. I can't 'see' the BBC either.

When I had trouble a couple of months ago BT replaced and repositioned my Master socket, the problems went away but we both (the engineer and I) suspected it was the local tests he ran before visiting the premises that fixed the problem, not the rewiring.
Mand
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Hi there,

In that case it's not a profiling issue. I'd recommend raising a fault here and we'll see what's going on.
Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Done, although I could not complete the BT speedtest, I get a time out error now!

I'll wait and see what happens. Isn't it a bit odd that I have an u/l speed that's pretty much consistent with my profile but the d/l speed is rubbish?
Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Anyone else run the BT speed test recently? It tells me I need to run a second test that involves re-connecting as bt_test_user@plusdsl.net. I can connect, but when I try to run the next step I just get time out errors. Doesn't seem to matter what time of day, or how many times I try.

Is this me (and part of the issue) or them?
chrisc
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

You shouldn't have to change the details on the speedtester.

Just log some results with your usual username and password details and our faults guys can investigate this further for you.
Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

The first test runs, gives me a result of 7Mb profile, then tells me a second test is required and I should log in as above. If I try to run the second test logged in as normal it tells me I'm logged in as the wrong user and tells me to log out and log in as Bt_test... Is this a new 'feature' then?

I have an ongoing fault on this and am trying to get my connection speed resolved.
chrisc
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

I've checked the BT system and I can see that you have logged some results - showing throughput of about 336kbps and 334kbps.

I'll chase this up with our faults guys and make sure that they run further tests for you as necessary.
prichardson
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

I have looked into this for you.

From what you describe, this may be caused by hard-coding DNS servers into your configuration.

If hard-coding our DNS servers in your system, then DNS lookups will fail from any other location other than our ADSL, Dialup and the BT-RIN alternate network.

AKA, it will fail when logged into bt_test_user@plusdsl.net

Instead, you can try visiting by IP address.

http://217.35.209.210/
http://217.32.105.70/

These will only work when using the login quoted above, and will fail when logged into your own username.

This 2nd test is important as per my reply to your ticket. It proves the fault outside of the service providers network and residing on the BT ATM network (most likely from the exchange to the RAS).

Let us know how you get on.

If it continues to fail when trying the above, let us know and we can then press on with a report to BT if needed for you.
Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

What a mess! Set TCP/IP settings to auto so the DNS server isn't forced to PN, made sure the router doesn't have any hard coded DNS settings, turned off the firewall, logged in as BT_test... still didn't work. Tried the IP address directly, got to the test page, ran the initial test, asked me to confirm the login details, used mine, oops, logged in as BT_Test. Tried again, hung, so no joy there.

Finally re-booted everything, got it to work! Well almost. Second test hangs at 96% (connection timed out). I can't get this to complete, what's next?
prichardson
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Can you define what you mean by hangs at 96%?

How long are you allowing it once it reaches this stage?

Is it an error the tests is generating to say it failed, or are you aborting the tests in some way?

In some instances, tests can take upto 30 minutes from the time the test is initiated and starts the automated routines.

I would just like to know it is a tester issue before proceeding to BT with this (things will be a little harder without the results, so would prefer to know it is worth the everybodies time first).
Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Where it shows the status at the top of the screen it reported "Error: Connection timed out, connecting". Progress bar showed 96%. I'll admit I only gave it about 10 minutes at this before I hit refresh and it started again, it hung at the same point.

Does this mean you would like me to run it again and go and sit in the sun for an hour?
chrisc
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

If you can do that would be great. Obviously if you leave it for an hour or so and it still times out then we know its a tester issue and can get this raised to BT.

Thanks for your patience Cheesy
Andrew
Grafter

BB Premier slowwww

Well I've run it again. Strangely it told me to log out as BT_test... and log in as myself - I give up on this!

Anyway, test 2 completed, it got as far as "sending results to server" and hung again. I've left it at that for ages, if the results are logged great, if not tough, I've had enough now!