cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Premier P2P Speed Issue

gswindale
Grafter

It is my understanding that the traffic shaping in operation on BB Premier only applies during peak periods.

Therefore, please can +net explain exactly why throughout today I have been unable to get download speeds for my torrents in excess of 3.5Kb/s (comparable to download speeds I used to have on dial-up) (popular torrent many seeders and peers). It only appears to be the P2P that is affected as my downloads from websites (FSX Demo for instance) are currently running at 220Kb/sec.
62 REPLIES
suec45
Grafter

There is little 'Premier' left in 'Premier'.

The name is meant to be ironic.
N/A

Re: BB Premier P2P Speed Issue

It is my understanding that the traffic shaping in operation on BB Premier only applies during peak periods.

Traffic shaping is in constant operation on every product PlusNet offer.

I have been unable to get download speeds for my torrents in excess of 3.5Kb/s (comparable to download speeds I used to have on dial-up) (popular torrent many seeders and peers).

Assuming your router and software is set up correctly, the only time of day you will get decent speeds on P2P is between 3am-5am.

It only appears to be the P2P that is affected as my downloads from websites (FSX Demo for instance) are currently running at 220Kb/sec.

Basically, it goes like this, in this vague order of priority:

- VOIP
- Gaming
- Streaming video/audio
- HTTP Web Browsing and Downloading
- Email
- Everything else

Basically, the PlusNet network is so full of the 'normal' stuff, that 'everything else' doesn't work at a decent speed until 3am-5am.

In other words, as Suec45 points out the name is ironic.

If you want decent performance you will be told to switch to PAYG. As a fellow PRemier customer - I've decided to just leave.
gswindale
Grafter

Traffic shaping is in constant operation on every product PlusNet offer.

Is that not therefore a breach of contract as the article I just read (here) states that:
All these restrictions apply to peak-time only; no restrictions apply outside of the hours of 4pm-Midnight.

Have to say that I too am thinking of leaving - just wish they'd hurry up and waive the deferred fees.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

me too, once the fee is deferred i'm off to pastures new after many years as a customer it seems there is no hope for improvements,

the issues just increase by the minute as the speed slows.

enough is enough i'm afraid, you can only suffer so much before you see the light ..

migration is the only way out for us :roll:
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Wrong. Traffic is assigned to Titanium, Gold, Siver and Bronze queues according to the type of traffic and the account type. See https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/network/traffic_management.shtml

On Premier and BB+ P2P is given the lowest priority and therefore will see degraded speeds for most of the 24 hours - the early hours of the morning is the only time it runs near full speed. If good P2P speeds during the day are important to you you need to consider changing to PAYG where all traffic is Gold or better.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
gswindale
Grafter

To quote that link for my package

Broadband Premier

The management of peak-time usage gives every Broadband Premier customer a fair share of the service, without having a negative affect on the usage of other customers. With a monthly allowance of peak-time (4pm-Midnight) usage, customers get the best possible service, even during the busiest hours.
As this allowance is used, light restrictions are applied, reducing the speed of selected Internet applications, such as peer-to-peer and binary Usenet. When the allowance is reached, peak-time downloading through these applications is blocked, until the customer's next billing date. Though most Internet activities like browsing and email remain available at fast speeds.

All these restrictions apply to peak-time only; no restrictions apply outside of the hours of 4pm-Midnight.

To quote the link for general information:

Why do we have to manage traffic on our network?
All PlusNet broadband products are contended, or shared. This industry-wide method is proven to provide a fast and reliable service at an affordable price.

There can be a lot of traffic competing to use our network at peak times. If we didn't manage traffic, it would be possible for intensive activities such as file downloads, peer-to-peer (P2P) and Usenet traffic to swamp the network and slow down time-sensitive traffic, such as web browsing, email, gaming and internet phone calls. By managing traffic, we can ensure these time sensitive activities have priority.

How do we manage traffic on our network?
Different types of traffic have a different priority at peak times on our network, with time-sensitive applications such as gaming and VoIP having the highest priority.

You will note that all of these statements refer to the words peak times. If you can provide a definitive link to where it states that P2P is being throttled off-peak, then I would be most grateful, as from what I can read, it shouldn't be.

I would also point out that I'm only about 4G into my peak usage allowance (of total 20G).
Community Veteran

P2P is in the bronze queue in off peak times. Look at bronze packets dropped on the first graph on this page - they is only a very brief period in the early hours of the morning when they are not dropped. Even with all the work being undertaken, and the extra capacity that will not change.

I'm afraid you have two choices if you want decent P2P speeds during the day, change to PAYG where P2P is Gold or migrate.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

On Premier, P2P is in silver, on Broadband Plus it's in bronze. Overnight speeds should be fine, looking at the graphs the bandwidth starts to increase around 11pm and keep increasing as the interactive traffic decreases until around 6am where it's peaking around 1.7Gbps of traffic then starting to decrease again throughout the morning as the volume of interactive traffic rises.

As I say the best speeds on P2P will be overnight, but it should give a reasonable performance on Premier in a morning.

However, that doesn't mean every torrent is going to give good speeds. I was downloading two torrents on Thursday night, one peaked at around 700KB/s around 3am, the other never went above 20KB/s. If the upload speed isn't there from the sources are there are a lot of people downloading then there's guarantee that you'll get a good speed. Increasing the number of peers your client can connect to may help, I'd also suggest if you have a client like uTorrent to take a look at the speed that other people are downloading at to compare. If everyone is getting the same kind of speed as you then that's the speed that torrent will give.
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Therefore, please can +net explain exactly why throughout today I have been unable to get download speeds for my torrents in excess of 3.5Kb/s (comparable to download speeds I used to have on dial-up) (popular torrent many seeders and peers). It only appears to be the P2P that is affected as my downloads from websites (FSX Demo for instance) are currently running at 220Kb/sec.

I downloaded a small (80Mb) or so torrent this morning around 7 or 8am or so. Started off fairly slow (around 20Kb/s) until another couple of seeds popped up and then it hammered along at around 200Kb/s. Obviously, in this case the initial seeds I started with were only giving a fairly limited upload, and then the subsequent seeds were far more generous.

Either way, it was doing a lot better than 3.5Kb/s...
gswindale
Grafter

It was working better this morning, but having looked at the stats just now, my dl speed is showing for this particular torrent as 0.7kB/s, yet my peer d/l speeds are:
42.6, 5.6, 36.9, 6.6, 11.4, 45.5, 85.8 kB/S. I've got 38 seeds connected and 29 peers.

How does the shaping work with regards to services such as Sky Anytime, as that utilises a P2P technology? As I for one would not be happy paying for a download of a TV show that could take 1 week to arrive instead of 20mins direct from a website?

It seems that Plus are trying their hardest to only make the network usable for insomniacs, as it is all very well suggesting we download our big stuff during off-peak, however I have to consider the costs of electricity alongside the broadband and would rather not have to leave my computer on when I'm sleeping.

It is also interesting to note that Plus have their peak times during off-peak hours. Maybe they should re-phrase their terminology to state:
"Unlimited service during peak times, but limited during the off-peak hours", as off-peak to me means 6pm - 6am when my phone calls are cheaper. Remember also that the old dial-up accounts came in a unlimited "anytime" and unlimited "off-peak" packages, but since the change to broadband, off-peak has become peak.
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

The p2p speeds recently have been nothing to write home about. This month in particular has bee lousy. Over the last 4 months these have been my download figures:

Sept - 103.09GB
Oct - 96.17GB
Nov - 79.58GB
Dec - 86.24GB
Jan - 84.96GB

5 days left this month and I've only managed to download 25Gb (not, I might say, through lack of trying) An average of 600Mb per day - although so far I'm almost at 6Gb for today alone!! Doesn't make sense.

I'm a fairly forgiving guy and am giving them the chance to get their act in order because all in all they're a pretty good ISP, so will be here for a few more months. After that....

Dave...heavy user...man...
N/A

It is also interesting to note that Plus have their peak times during off-peak hours.

PlusNet peak hours are when there is peak usage of their systems. As the broadband you are using is a domestic product, and telephone peak hours have traditionally been defined by business use (the original user base for telecoms companies) it's not particularly surprising that these don't match. Lots of mobile networks define peak as seven-seven.

There is no standard definition of peak/off-peak hours and, since the BT monopoly was broken, there never has been.
N/A

I find the definition of PEAK that PN uses pretty accurate. As soon as we get into peak hours I see the rates dropping both in up/download. In school holidays though, rates are much lower all day.

Presumably loads of kids come home and get on line with those educational sites?
Community Veteran

The p2p speeds recently have been nothing to write home about. This month in particular has bee lousy. Over the last 4 months these have been my download figures:

Sept - 103.09GB
Oct - 96.17GB
Nov - 79.58GB
Dec - 86.24GB
Jan - 84.96GB

5 days left this month and I've only managed to download 25Gb (not, I might say, through lack of trying) An average of 600Mb per day - although so far I'm almost at 6Gb for today alone!! Doesn't make sense.

What account type are you on?