cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB Plus usage Graph

N/A

BB Plus usage Graph

Anybody care to comment on the strange graph.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/broadband_bandwidth_uage.shtml

Simon
24 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

BB Plus usage Graph

Hmmm, does look a wee bit strange. Either there is a reporting error, or Plusnet have reduced the amount of available bandwidth to BB+ from the looks of it.

I'm sure someone from PN will be able to shed a bit more light. I would suspect the former myself.

Aside from that it could be that Plusnet lost a gateway or had a service problem but theres nothing reported on Service Status and nobody on Plus has reported issues.
JonathanW
Grafter

BB Plus usage Graph

Hi,

This is down to some changes that have been made over the past few days. In order to monitor the highest users on Plus they have been switched to a static IP address. As the graph in question only records usage from the dynamic IP addresses, this shows the impact that the heaviest Plus users are having on the service.
Community Veteran

BB Plus usage Graph

No idea, but it looks like a gradual reduction in bandwidth usage which is unusual. I have flagged it in PUG and I am waiting for a reply.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BB Plus usage Graph

Interesting comparison. If you look at the upstream loading which I assume is P2P it dropped from 200MB to about 100MB but referring back to the Ellacoya changes on the 6th of December there was an almost mirror effect in that the upstream bandwidth increased instantaneously from about 100MB to 220MB.
Community Veteran

BB Plus usage Graph

PN have identified some very heavy BB+ users. As a result, they have assigned them a static IP address to allow them to easily monitor their usage for a period of time. The BB+ graph only includes data for dynamic IPs so the reduction in bandwidth is actually an indication of the affect a small number of heavy BB+ users were having on the overall BB+ traffic as their data is being included in one of the other graphs for the period of the monitoring.

See this thread where the BB+ static IP / monitoring is being discussed.
N/A

BB Plus usage Graph

Bloomin heck, thats one hell of a shift in Bandwidth :shock:

Can I ask what kind of usage is leading to monitoring? I thought there were no limits on the BB+ accounts as they were self managed by the Elacoya profiles. Goalposts being shifted?
Community Veteran

BB Plus usage Graph

That is one questions that PN have nevered answered.

And yes, it does indicate what the affect of a very small number of users can have on the rest of the BB+ product group. This is explained in more detail in This PUG news article
Alecto
Grafter

BB Plus usage Graph

On that thread, petsyb says he is being monitored for using

"5 days = 2.34 GB
Therefore at this rate 14GB aprox in 30 days"

Some mistake surely?
N/A

BB Plus usage Graph

Considering they are taking action agains't those that breach the invisible limits then, for the sake of clarity and fairness then they should. If there are absolute data transfer limits on BB+ then it should be publicly available.
N/A

BB Plus usage Graph

What a funny interpretation - "we moved heavy users and bandwidth shifted", But the graph shows kbits/s - speed not volume, so how are we to understand this - you moved heavy users to static IPs and everybody else started browsing not less but s l o w e r? For the lack of words - bizzarre.
JonathanW
Grafter

BB Plus usage Graph

The graph measures throughput in bits/s so this is the total transfer to and from all Plus accounts that are connected. So the shifting of the heavy users onto static IPs, which aren't currently recorded by the graph, shows how much traffic they are using on average.
N/A

BB Plus usage Graph

Can you let us know what you define as a heavy user here, Jon?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

BB Plus usage Graph

Not quite accurate it measures rate of data transfer not speed. This may seem to be the same for an individual user but its not for a provider. If I can give a simple example. If I have one pipe down which 1 gal per min of water flows then to double the flow I can double the speed in the pipe but if instead I add another pipe the speed remains the same but the total flow doubles.
So in the case of PlusNet they have shifted a group over to a fixed IP which moves them to another measuring system which is the same as taking one of the pipes described above and not including it in the calculation. Hence speed in the original pipe doesn't change but the total flow apparently halves.

Edit - Jon types faster than me.
N/A

BB Plus usage Graph

So I'm still right. Graph shows slower total use, not less use. As in - the punters on the graph might still be downloading the same DVD ISO each, but it will take them longer. If they capped everyones speed effect on graph would be the same.

Btw. Am I right to understand that before the change the total bandwidth that week does never spike over 500Mbit/s?