cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+ Peak Time will always be 8am - midnight

KimT
Grafter

Well just to try and make sure that all BB+ users are aware it has been stated in another post by Plusnet reps that peak time will remain at 8am - midnight.

Only the premier package will change.

Will the advertisement on the main page be changed to show what peak time is for BB+ as I am sure that someone signing up to the product would never imagine it to be as long a period as it is!!!

Anyway, I've done what I wanted and that's to try and make as many ppl aware as possible.

Jeff
22 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, we allready know about this, and as for changing the ad, no idea to be honest, as long as it is in the SUP should be fine, it is clearly stated that BB+ is not for heavy downloaders anyway, a package for light downloaders giving out 50GB off peak is pretty fair really.
KimT
Grafter

Yes you may be aware of it but some other people may not as it was hidden in a non related topic, so I thought I'd start one specifically for this subject Cheesy

I agree totally that 50gb off peak is a large amount of data that can be transferred ( I use transferred as uploads and downloads are counted in the usage ). My only criticism is the overly long peak time that has been set Sad and now seems here to stay.

Jeff
N/A

My only criticism is the overly long peak time that has been set Sad and now seems here to stay.

Jeff

It seams to me that they are pulling some off peak time off the low cost residential packages to cope with the peak in the business packages usage, at least that is the best conclusion I can come to from what has been going on but I can't be sure.
KimT
Grafter

Whatever the reason is I don't know, but I just wish that Plusnet would make some rules and stick to them for more than 5 minutes.

I'm sure that I'm not alone in my feelings Sad

Maybe my only answer is to start drinking more coffee to stay up longer at nights or become a vampire :twisted: lol
N/A

:idea: Or you could just use a plugin or program for a download manager like getright (for normal HTTP/FTP) or plugins for P2P software like azureus that lets you schedule large downloads for overnight, let the PC do the staying awake, having said that not exactly having an early night tonight are you Smiley
tcs2000
Grafter

Let's face it.
Plusnet really don't want anyone who does any downloading on their BB+ package.
Hence the 5gb allowance and 8am to MIdnight peak time.
They are trying to get more people sign up to their Premier or PAYG packages.
I do find it incredible that Plusnet have different Peak Times for different accounts.
Absolutely ridiculous Evil
N/A

Absolutely ridiculous
I wouldnt say so. BB+ is not designed for any sort of heavy downloading. Why would they want anyone loosing them a considerable amout of money? personally I dont want to be substidising you because you feel like using more than what plusnet budget for and well i bet most of the userbase feels the same in that respect

For £14.99 on isps you get 1~2GB anytime. no peaks etc. Just 1~2GB
Tiscali for example is 2GB iirc.

So your complaing your getting 1 of the better 14.99 Deals? It never was and never has been advertised as for downloading. They only issued the guideline due to pressure to do so. Before they simply slowed you down when they fely you were doing too much. (e.g over 5GB - doesnt mean u cant do more) I feel the "guideline" figure on that account is more than enough compared to other offers.

Premier is a completely different account designed for a different type of user
N/A

Hence the 5gb allowance and 8am to MIdnight peak time.
They are trying to get more people sign up to their Premier or PAYG packages.

Actually I just found this from another thread, PN actually have the active graphs of network bandwidth usage for each account here which actually explains the peak hours from plus which does show a rising bandwidth consumption begining about 8am with very little post midnight usage.
passer
Grafter

I just yesterday set up a friend new to ADSL on the BB+ package. Before arranging the whole thing for her I went through all the "cheap" packages available from various ISPs, and have to say that nothing came near to BB+ for value. My friend won't be downloading anything of note - just browsing and Emailing, and the allowances on this account are far more than she will realistically use. She's delighted with the speed she's getting, and also delighted with the speed at which the sign-up and connection took place. She's in a rural location, and from filling out the online form to online connection took 8 days, which included 2 BT visits to check her line.

The idle timer disconcerted me at first, but she wasn't fazed by it at all. She thought it was perfectly reasonable to drop the link if she wasn't using it, and it only took a few seconds to reactivate it. It's all about managing people's expectations - I was harrumphing about it, from the perspective of a Premier user, and she couldn't see why!

So well done to PlusNet for a slick and speedy setup. She's just the sort of customer they want, and they have a winner in the BB+ package in my view. Smiley
N/A

It is refreshing to see someone on the forums reporting of people who happily selected the correct package for them and are satisfied with it rarther than hearing constantly from people who want the earth for a minescule price and others to subsidise that.
N/A

The thing is atm is the market is chaning thus packages are changing and alot of people are now nolonger on a package thats fit for there purpose.

Whist i can understand people being alittle upset with the prospect of paying more for the service they origionally wanted theres not alot an ISP can do about it until the market settles down a bit.
avalon
Grafter

... PN actually have the active graphs of network bandwidth usage for each account here which actually explains the peak hours from plus which does show a rising bandwidth consumption begining about 8am with very little post midnight usage.

Almost, but the graphs are rather small and a tad difficult to read. The bandwidth usage on BB+ falls to 200Mb/s at 00.00 hours and reaches its lowest point of around 75Mb/s at around 06.00 hours before climbing slowly again. It doesn't reach 200Mb/s again until around 16.30 hours. The logical question is - If peak time ends at 200Mb/s at midnight why doesn't it also start at 200Mb/s at around 4 pm?
N/A

Almost, but the graphs are rather small and a tad difficult to read. The bandwidth usage on BB+ falls to 200Mb/s at 00.00 hours and reaches its lowest point of around 75Mb/s at around 06.00 hours before climbing slowly again. It doesn't reach 200Mb/s again until around 16.30 hours. The logical question is - If peak time ends at 200Mb/s at midnight why doesn't it also start at 200Mb/s at around 4 pm?

I am not sure how they are calculating their peak time, by the looks of it although more data would be needed to be certain of this it seams to me they are going on approximately the 50% rule making the peak 50% above approx 180-190Mbps, which measuring on my screen with a day being 1cm (yes I did measure it) the intersect at that point is approx 3.5mm from the start of yesturday until near enough dead on midnight which is close enough to 8am-Midnight, although going by that rule it should be approx 4pm-Midnight during the week, of course unless they wanted to complexify it by having seperate weekday and weekend peak times they will go on the worst case scenario.
avalon
Grafter

Looks like BB+ will eventually move back to 4pm to midnight.

...During March, with further automation we will be able to change back to a 4pm to Midnight ‘peak’ period network management profile for Plus and Premier customers....

From this post