cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+ Off Peak Downloading?

N/A

Hi all,

Just migrated from Tiiscali broadband (dont ask!), and am waiting for changeover to be complete.

Seems I didn't read the "invisible" print on the BB+ account.

I was under the impression that P2P etc would just be throttled to make sure the other types of account got a better service.

Now it seems that there are hidden download limits that PN are not admitting to.

This isn't what I signed up for - I was planning on running P2P downloads overnight when I wouldnt affect anyone and stopping them during the peak times.
Even if they were a bit slower, i still wouldn't have minded - P2P is rarely that fast anyway.

So - my question is - if I download largish files offpeak, will I have my personal account managed further than the standard for the BB+ account type?

Oh, and can I expect good latencies without packet loss, for a game of Counter Strike?

Thanks,
Peter
15 REPLIES
N/A

Not at all we are more then happy for you to schedule your downloads to off peak and you will not be monitored or managed for that usage pattern.
worm
Grafter

You sure about that?

Certinaly the reply I got from CSC didn't make any separation between peak/off-peak traffic - it was a straightforward limit. no messing

I thought that we had established that p2p was basically a big no-no on BB+ - are you now saying that this is not that case, and you can basically do what you want as long as it's off-peak?
N/A

Indeed that is what I am saying, if you want to schedule your downloads to the off peak times outside of 8 am to midnight then you will not have a problem on the plus account.

I have sat in meetings all day about this and one of the next roles is to make sure the CSC are educated about this fully.
worm
Grafter

Aha

Now we're getting somewhere.

Initially when I read that, I was amazed, as it seems to basically go against all that we have been hearing over the last few days.

Then I read this from Dave Tomlinson in another thread

As a rough guide anything above about 5GB during peak hours (8am to midnight) on Broadband Plus is going above what is suitable for that account type.

and this seems to make more sense. I did think maybe I'd jumped too soon, but then thought that 5GB aint that much in my terms (leave me alone - I like downloading .. Smiley)

However, I would be very surprised if off-peak traffic isn't subject to some sort of limit as well? After all - Premier packages are limited to 100GB (depending on exactly which package) for all traffic - surely BB+ has some limit on off-peak traffic?
N/A

However, I would be very surprised if off-peak traffic isn't subject to some sort of limit as well? After all - Premier packages are limited to 100GB (depending on exactly which package) for all traffic - surely BB+ has some limit on off-peak traffic?

It is severely limited, in speed.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

and this seems to make more sense. I did think maybe I'd jumped too soon, but then thought that 5GB aint that much in my terms (leave me alone - I like downloading .. Smiley)

Yep, when you discount any P2P/Usenet traffic then 5GB goes an awful long way. For example, you could do all of the following:

View 30,000 50KB web pages per month - 1.5GB
View 10,000 100KB web pages per month - 1GB
Send or receive 50 10KB emails per day - 15MB
Send or receive 10 1MB emails per day - 300MB
Make 20 15 minute VoIP calls per month - 400MB
Download Windows and AV updates - 100MB
Play 30 hours of online gaming per month (e.g.Counterstrike at 20MB per hour) - 600MB
Listen to 20 hours of online radio per month (e.g. Radio 1 at 44kbps) - 400MB
Download 10 mp3's from iTunes per month - 50MB
Read 1000 text usenet posts per month - 5MB
Chat 4 hours per day on MSN/ICQ/IRC - 120MB

and still have 500MB to spare during peak hours and be able to do some downloading overnight.

When the network is quiet overnight we do allocate more bandwidth for Broadband Plus accounts to use P2P or Usenet to encourage use of these during the overnight hours (midnight to 8am), however there will still be a rate limit applied to the speed now which will evolve as we move more towards the real time management.
N/A

Not at all we are more then happy for you to schedule your downloads to off peak and you will not be monitored or managed for that usage pattern.

Thats absolutely ideal.

I like to download quite a lot on P2P - but Im not really bothered about at what speed it comes down.
Also, Im very happy to schedule it overnight (tip: Speed Scheduler plug in for Azureus!)

Thanks very much - I look forward to my migration being completed, and giving this a test.
N/A

If you want to schedule your downloads to the off peak times outside of 8 am to midnight then you will not have a problem on the plus account.

This is excellent news for me and hopefully other BB+ accounts. I too am not bothered on the whole about how quickly any P2P/FTP gets to me as long as it gets to me eventually and doesn't impact my day to day email/web browsing. My preffered client, Shareaza, is easily configurable to limit downloading during certain times which is what it is now set to do. Thanks. Cheesy

Any chance the new VMBU could be made available to BB+ customers? It would be handy to be able to monitor our off peak downloads and moderate our peak usage if it is getting a little high!
N/A

Why isn't there a straightforward table for BB+ customers?

All it has to contain, based on the previous discussions is:

Peak Hours: 08:00-12:00 5GB a month, or severe speed limits imposed*
Off Peak Hours: 00:01-07:59 Limited by network bandwidth

*Don't bother calling customer support

And then we all know who's at fault.
Simple, isn't it ?
N/A

Re: Why isn't there a straightforward table for BB+ customer

Simple, isn't it ?

But they cant do that, otherwise they would have to advertise the product as capped :?
N/A

If you view this new sticky it would seem that there is a limit for off-peak on BB+ and that is 50Gb.
Good question above ... are BB+ users going to get a new VMBUHuh?
worm
Grafter

The 50GB is what I was getting at

I think that's a fair limit. 5GB/50GB peak/off-peak is probably right at the edge of what I feel I could stick to without really limiting my usage, and I'm not really sorry to have moved away from BB+ on that basis.

I don't have my head around the speed issue though, and I acknowledge that the 5GB/50GB is clearly posted as 'guide' rather thatn hard limit - but how does this compare to PAYG? They are unlimited (as I understand it) but would pay a hefty chunk if they got up to 50GB...
N/A

when you exceed the 5gig cap, you get just a bit more than dial up speed, and if you think im joking, im not.
N/A

Are you sure about that? If so why does usenet still run at 3kbs at 3am.