cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Just read that PN now hasa 50Gb limit offpeak for BB+

Since when? Last time I checked, offpeak was totally unlimited due to the fantastic way PN can now manage their traffic.

I didn't sign up for a limited service - I was happily scheduling my downloads for offpeak.

Can someone tell me if this is right - if so, Im furious.

Thankfully, I can leave PN for free as I migrated in on a MAC.
21 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

None of our accounts are unlimited, the portal says there are "no fixed download limits" which is an important distinction to make. Bandwidth, even off peak bandwidth has to be paid for and unfortunately it doesn't come cheap.

The 50GB figure you mention is a guideline figure to what we consider to be sustainable off peak usage on a Broadband Plus account. It's not a set in stone figure by any means, but if you are wanting to use more than this amount you should really think about upgrading.
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Im fairly sure there was a time, quite recently, when you guys said offpeak tranfers wouldn't count towards usage.
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Your thinking about BB Premier. Offpeak transfers still count towards usage, but it's up to the discretion of PN staff about what to do. I think it's over 100GB of off-peak before they start asking you to calm down a bit though.

Personally, I don't think I've ever gone over 25GB in total (about 14GB of that in peak times, but normally <10GB), so maybe BB+ would be better for me.
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

If you are approaching 10Gb in peak time, then BB+ probably isnt the correct account type for you:-

the product is designed for up to 4GB usage each month at 4pm-Midnight.

PAYG may be an idea, but if you download a lot off-peak then it might be premier1 you need.
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

If you are approaching 10Gb in peak time, then BB+ probably isnt the correct account type for you:-

the product is designed for up to 4GB usage each month at 4pm-Midnight.

PAYG may be an idea, but if you download a lot off-peak then it might be premier1 you need.

Dont want to sound rude, but who said anything about peak-time?
N/A

YET AGAIN PN, I TOLD YOU SO

Sorry, but I am completely correct yet again, and thus am back to being rather furious.

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37853&highlight=
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

I would like to hear PNs comments on this - please get back to me.
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Me! Tongue
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Me! Tongue

hehe Cheesy
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

I would like to hear PNs comments on this - please get back to me.

You might want to find something more recent, for example this post from the product refresh earlier in the year, and the product usage section of this page.

But as I said the 50GB figure is a guideline to what we consider to be sustainable usage on a £14.99 product. This was communicated to our customers back in March (I've checked your account and you were emailed on 18/3/06 if you want to check the closed tickets on your account).

Broadband Plus isn't designed for heavy usage and never has been so if you do want to use 50GB then Broadband Plus isn't the right account.
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Ok,

What you need to realise, is that not all of your customers visit these forums on a regular basis. I come on here if I have a question or an issue.

Many months ago, I asked if there was a limit on off-peak downloads. I was told "Not at all". In fact, you encouraged this.

On the date mentioned, I did receive a mail, just like you said.
It was a 1,500+ word email.

Now Im sorry, but live is too short to read that. I get 200 mails per day at work, I dont need a short essay to come home to.

Changing the limit from completely unlimited to 50Gb is a major change to how I perceive the service. This should have been communicated in a more direct mannor, and not sneaked through a back door.

As for your final point. "BB+ was not designed for heavy use" - except when your own staff state in public that its find to download overnight.

I hope you can understand my point of view.

(obviously Im fighting a losing battle on this one, so Ill leave this - so that you can fix my line on the other thead Wink )
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Dave,

He does have a very good point. It does seem confusing when someone on one thread says:-

Broadband Plus isn't designed for heavy usage and never has been so if you do want to use 50GB then Broadband Plus isn't the right account.

and then another P.Net staff member on another says:-

Not at all we are more then happy for you to schedule your downloads to off peak and you will not be monitored or managed for that usage pattern.

Both threads being about BB+.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

I raised the point about the 100Gb limit in one of my earlier posts and was told there was no limit - not quite true there is an unofficial 'soft' limit which no-one is quite sure of, but we assume is 100Gb.

I also thought off-peak (unofficially) didn't have a limit. It seems depending on what who replies on here the message is a different story.

Don't get me wrong, I can well understand the reasoning for having the limits and can understand that someone battering a £14.99 account is not going to make their ISP any profit - fair enough.

It just seems though since PlusNet are totally incapable of communicating the cap limits to customers (nothing has changed there though, it's not like we were all e-mailed with the limits once they were introduced). It seems the only way of knowing what the policy is this week, is to constantly look at the forums.

We were also told, that the limits were not 'hard' limits in the sense that the Ellacoyas would 'manage' (i.e that's management speak for 'slow down') the connection if someone was using too much bandwidth. If this was true then why the need for the soft limit?

Again, I can understand the reasoning behind the caps (sorry 'usage allowances') but I think this should be more transparent. Not really clear when you visit the BB+ signup page which states:

There is no usage cap, however the product is designed for up to 4GB usage each month at 4pm-Midnight.

So 'no usage cap' outside of 4pm-Midnight is not quite the 50Gb limit then? I am a light user and personally this will of course not affect me - but I can well understand why others are peeved.

The irony is, that the Marketing Director of PlusNet made a statement on misleading advertising with ISP's. Link (as reported in Plusnetters) here

Funny how it includes Tiscali (which IMHO I do agree some of their adverts are misleading). If Tiscali's inability to market their products didn't extend any further than it did then I am sure PlusNet LLU wouldn't be a problem. However they seem as inept at managing a broadband connection and providing customer support as they do with accurately marketing their products.
N/A

BB+ 50Gb Offpeak Limit

Thanks for your replies - I was honestly starting to think I was going mad!