cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful!

N/A

Awful!

I am sorry to say, the service I am currently getting is pathetic. :shock:

I went to plus.net based on adslguides rating. In the signed up to the plus account and I noticed that there was priority to services such as web browsing and email. Fine I thought, I dont see much wrong with that. But I expected p2p to at least work at the odd times I do use it! Evil
(yes, I've checked the connection thingy)

I picked a 100% 8 seed torrent (no leachers). My girlfriend is on Bulldogs cheapest 512k service and got about 55k. My works machine on crappy BT 1mb, again got about 100k. My other works connection on Hotchilli, again about 100k.
My plus.net account. 1k

1 sodding k! Evil
Even Bulldog, with the worst possible reputation after its watchdog bashing seems lightening fast compaired to pathetic.net

I thoroughly regret choosing plus.net and I want out ASAP please. Cry
129 REPLIES
N/A

Awful!

yes its wrong PN don't state HOW MUCH the plus account will be throttled when it comes to P2P. I fell in the same trap as you and the only, well, easiest option i had was to give in and upgrade to premier.
You will never get above 8kb/sec when it comes to p2p, even if you try at 4/5am...if you've been signed up under the, i think 30 day clause? you're allowed to leave for 'free', but i do believe there is a £14 or £19.99 cost... Evil
sloany
Grafter

Awful!

Upgrade to a small business account i believe (could an admin verify) are not traffic shaped or throttled, i dont P2P so i cant really comment apart from what i've read elsewhere on the forums. It'll cost you a tenner more though.
N/A

Awful!

I'm afraid plus.net can stick it, I refuse to upgrade my account. I can get a better level of service for the same price with probably just about any other service provider.
I'm pretty upset and feel con'ed that their sign up page said theres just a priority service when its basicly a case that p2p simply does not work. :roll:
LiamM
Grafter

Awful!

Just consider for a minute how much the other users on the other ISPs are paying.

Broadband Plus is £14.99 for a reason. It is suited to the average home user with ow usage. For email and web, speeds are superb, HTTP downloads are also fine. But for P2P and Newsgroups, a noticeable difference will occur.

You cannot compare BB+ to Bulldog, BT etc.. because it's not a 'like for like' service. Try comparing it to Broadband Premier and it should be another story.
rammie1976
Grafter

Awful!

This throttling of p2p on bb+ must be a newer phenomena? afterall wasn't it recently someone posted here about being traffic managed on bb+ because of their d/ling?

I do think there should be a certain p2p allowance on bb+, maybe available off peak or at dialup speeds? Otherwise +net should make it CLEAR that these types of internet use will not be reasonably possible; not as they do now - suggest you'll be ok as long as you don't do lots of it. :roll:
N/A

Yup, forget about p2p on Plus.net

I gotta say, I have a premier account, and p2p is being seriously throttled somewhere in the chain, at the end of this month I'll be moving isp,

cause to be honest I was getting better more consistant 2mb flow from my old ISP, (eclipse) the only reason I changed was because I moved and was without a BT line for a month, figured I'd give plus a chance.

wish I had'nt now.

I work with Linux for my job and frequently need to get updates and entire new OS iso's, currently the only way to get some is via Torrent.

way to go plus.net.

/ wankers
N/A

Awful!

A noticeable difference my fat, round arse. p2p basicly does not work! Where as, with the other isp's it does work at a reasonable level even if its limited and on a basic account.

If p2p and usenet are so restricted that it basicly does not work, then you should damned well say so on your signup page. Not saying so miss leads people, even people who do use it about once or twice a week or less like myself.

I am going to leave plus.net. Upgrading to the premier account is probably useless because it sounds like p2p and usenet almost does not work on those accounts either.

Sorry plus.net. Your customer service seems quite good. Just a shame the service itself is not so and that your signup process does not make the restrictions clear. Sad
N/A

Awful!

Yup,

could'nt agree more,

and yeah my premier account gets little to no p2p working,.
sloany
Grafter

Awful!

i have heard you can configure certain P2P programmes to use different ports, i believe ( dont know and cant check as im on a business a/c) that plus net throttle certain ports, if you configure your P2P programme to use different ports than standard ones this may help........dunno, worth a go for you i suppose.
N/A

Awful!

Changing ports wont make any difference, the ellacoya kit works by monitoring the packet information.
Community Veteran

Awful!

The shaping or throttling now takes place using deep packet inspection, so it does not mater which port(s) you use for P2P, it will not circumvent the shaping.

I've heard a rumour that encrypted tuneling, such as VPN will avoid the ellacoya's but that will rely on you having a proxy to bounce your traffic off (or something like that) - its all a bit over my head really. :?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Awful!

P2P performance varies on so many factors it's almost impossible to determine exactly what's causing the problem.

The shaping on Premier is very light, and doesn't cause a severe drop in performance. My account is shaped more than a Premier account but I'm still able to get respectable speeds on P2P, see here.

The torrent in that example is publicly available and free, from http://www.rebirthmuseum.com if anyone wants to test it. You have to register but it is free.
sloany
Grafter

Awful!

sorry, i stand corrected. I just have a mate on plusnet premier and uses P2P and doesnt have a problem. In fact he downloaded 129 gig last month! quite fun actually watching him squirm waiting for his SUP email. LMAO. He says he get around shaping by using different ports.
Community Veteran

Awful!

Thats done at 9:45 am.

So maybe other people could test this at "peak times" and see what happens.

Care to do this again at peak times Ben?

I'm not saying it WILL be different, but at leat it would be one more "scientific" test?