cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful Download Speeds

N/A

Awful Download Speeds

I have read up on all the traffic shaping and so on to prevent high speed downloads but something cant b write with my connection. My connection will never download above 4k when using p2p surely traffic shaping couldnt slow it down this much i could get faster on my 56k. Could i be Throttled?

If so i think this is poor as the premier account is advertised as being ideal for "Downloading"

Can some body please help me up my speed in anyway?

Thanks
KYle
17 REPLIES
passer
Grafter

Awful Download Speeds

Hi -
have you tried using your P2P after midnight, to see if there is a noticeable increase in speed? If that is the case, then you are suffering from the general throttling of P2P taking place between 0800 and 2400. This is not intended to be as severe as it is, apparently, and will be rectified at some point.

If you get no better after midnight, your account may be being "managed", and you need to raise a ticket if you haven't received an advisory Email to that effect.
N/A

Awful Download Speeds

No i havent tried doing so. TBH i dont think i should have to wait up till 12+ to try and download something and if i was made aware of this when signing up i wouldnt have bothered. I have never gone over 7Gb a month since i joined and now i have been practically crippled. I think that i could b throttled because i have a firned who has the same connection speed as me but can almost max his download speed out on torrents 80% of the time my connection speeds have been the same since i joined last summer
passer
Grafter

Awful Download Speeds

I hear what you're saying, and I don't disagree. I also am a moderate-to-low user, and feel similarly aggrieved. I assume that your speed test results are OK for your connection, so it might be an idea to check out the after-midnight thing just to nail it down. At least that way you'll be able to point that out if you raise a ticket.

P2P is an endangered species on this ISP, and regretfully is likely to become so on other ISPs in the near future. PlusNet are purporting to be ahead of the game on this type of management (throttling) and that's probably true. I intend to give them a little longer to prove themselves in this area, in the hope that what they eventually settle on is likely to be better than their rivals, based on their previous reputation. But that's just me. It's mentioned elsewhere that many of their heavier users have already migrated, so perhaps there'll be a bit more available for those who hang on....or perhaps not. :?
Community Veteran

Awful Download Speeds

Just a few questions so we can see where the problem may lie!

Do you use a modem or a router?
Also Are you experiencing slow HTTP downloads or general slow speeds?
What P2P program are you using?
The file(s) that you are downloading, do they seem well hosted or is it only 1 or 2 people sharing them?
N/A

Awful Download Speeds

Im using a 2mbps connection along with a Netgear DG834g Router with the latest firmware.

My HTTP downloads vary. one day 170k next 80 which is pretty annoying.

@ the moment im using limewire.

I have tried port forwarding to solve this but my connection speed still doesnt improve
Community Veteran

Awful Download Speeds

Have you tried following the the speed problems post to make sure its not a problem on your exchange, based on your usage, I am very suprised about your speeds and even more suprised that opening the correct ports does not impove your speed, I use considerably more than you and usually get full speed on well hosted files on P2P
N/A

Awful Download Speeds

It could well partially be the result of contention at your exchange, especially as you say that http downloads vary (which they generally will on a contended service). But getting only a few kbps is very slow.
Unfortunately any of the tools (speedtests, traceroutes, etc) will not show what is happening to particular types of traffic, only if there is an overall network problem. Traffic Management is something we just have to assume is being done correctly with the Ellacoya's.
N/A

Awful Download Speeds

Do you have a link to a well hosted file to which i could try out my connection?.

As for port numbers i have tried forwarding them but im not sure as to which ports work best?
Community Veteran

Awful Download Speeds

do you use bit torrent?

limewire is a nightmare of a programme to set up port forwards as it likes to change them! will have a look for you

Edit: try this link for ports on limewire with your router, just ignore the bits on the page that ask you to type in your ip address and stuff they do nothing!
N/A

Awful Download Speeds

yeh i have numerous torrent clients as i tohught the clinet cud be slowing my speed down. im familiar with Bit lord , tornado & azereus
N/A

Awful Download Speeds

You could try one of the well seeded Linux torrents from LinuxTracker.
Community Veteran

Awful Download Speeds

Thanks I was hunting that site everywhere!
N/A

Awful Download Speeds

which ports would you recommend for torrents?

Any other ways i could speed it up?

DHT firewalled? thats what is diplayed in azereus?

Thanks
Kyle
Community Veteran

Awful Download Speeds

although some people dont recommend It use uPNP for my ports, if you dont want to use it then port 6881 is used by azureus, open that up in your router