cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awful 2MB Download Speeds

N/A

I recently changed my package from the £29.99 1MB Package to the £21.99 2MB package, which caused problems from the start. (Speed tests were showing my connection at 1MB etc.) Nothing that couldn't be solved with a simple reboot and a wait.

Anyway, ive noticed that my download speeds from P2P and in general have not increased whatsoever. What is worse, is that they are actually about half as slow as they were on the 1MB package.

Im getting at complete MAXIMUM 70kb/s from my P2P client, and im seeing nothing more than about 100kb/s from websites.

With the current speed that i am on, logic tells me i should be getting downloads of about 250kb/s at maximum.. What gives?

Also im on a small network at home, which has worked soundly with previous PN packages, and im well aware that P2P and Website download speeds vary from time to time, but im also not stupid, so i can see when there is a problem arising.. am i being throttled or what?

Naiche :?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi,

welcome to the forums.

Post the results of a BT speed checker link and we can see what results that brings.

Also an AG speed test link will also help.
N/A

There have been a number of simlar posts to this - there has to be a generic issue or reason for it no?
N/A

Not necessarily.

until we see what the speed tests say we wont know anymore.

P2P downloads are not the best way to guage the speed of a connection. Too many variables exist that would have a detremental effect on speed.
N/A

Ok, I cant get the BT one to work primarily because I don’t know the saved password for my plusdsl connection.. I’ll have to find that out.. The other test shows the results that I want to experience when actually surfing and downloading.

Downstream 1820 Kbps (227.5 KB/sec) 1965 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 241 Kbps (30.1 KB/sec) 260 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Now as smiley-faced as those results actually look, I’m not seeing that kind of action when putting the speed into effect on downloads etc. I was at a friend’s house today, and saw them downloading a trailer at 206kb/s and i am not even getting half of that, they are using BTYahoo and have never experienced any problems like this one.

I’m concerned that I may have overlooked a fact in the licence or Terms of Service that says I am getting "up to" 2MBs, which means in a nutshell, "You CAN get it, but 90% of the time you wont". I’m wondering is there anyone on the £21.99 'up to' 2MB premier package that hasn’t experienced any problems, and has had consistently good download rates?

I can’t seem to understand though, how when a speed test shows i have "227.5 KB/sec" downloads from their site, but co-incidentally every other site on the internet seems to think otherwise.

Forgive my attitude, but I’m determined to get the service that i was expecting when i changed to 2MBs.
N/A

If the speeds reported by the AG speed test are anything to go by then your connection is performing as it should.

You cannot judge the speed of your connection by the rate at which your P2P downloads run. There are too many other things which will determine how fast they will be.

From the results posted, you dont appear to have a problem with Plus Net.
N/A

If the speeds reported by the AG speed test are anything to go by then your connection is performing as it should.

You cannot judge the speed of your connection by the rate at which your P2P downloads run. There are too many other things which will determine how fast they will be.

From the results posted, you dont appear to have a problem with Plus Net.

I don't appear to, you're right, but im still noticing significantly lower speeds than i was getting before, my P2P downloads should still be potentially faster, and therefore would eventually produce a download speed of above 80kb/s, along with me getting a decent rate from more or less ALL of the website downloads i am getting. (They are hovering at about 40kbps).

These are similar downloads to those that i would normally get at about 100kbps back when i was paying £27.99 for 1MB. Is there some sort of throttle in place for the customers that notice they are paying £6+ extra per month and decide to regrade?
N/A

Me too....

I have noticed the same sort of thing occurring since I got my 2Mb upgrade, and also get about 70Kb/s max out of p2p.
And my speed test results don't shed much light - they are all over the place from 0 to 38340.1Kbps :roll:
I was actually planning on raising a support ticket if it hadn't sorted itself out by the time I get back from sweden next week.

Is this a general problem others have noticed?
N/A

Although not a perfectly acurate way of measuring is to download a file from microsoft or from a big mirror (Blueyonder etc) on tucows.

If these don't come down above 150k out of peak times then there are some issues in my view.

On a 2MB link elsewhere I have always managed to get over 150K from microsoft.
N/A

Grabbing a new copy of VS .NET Beta yesterday I got a continual download rate of around 230KBps. With the speedtester on PN I'm getting around 100KBps.

The 230 figure was both from the download progress window and from my own rough calculations...

P2P is no way of judging speeds as already pointed out and most speedtesters aren't - if you are one of many using the speedchecker then you will get slow results etc..
N/A

Grabbing a new copy of VS .NET Beta yesterday I got a continual download rate of around 230KBps. With the speedtester on PN I'm getting around 100KBps.

The 230 figure was both from the download progress window and from my own rough calculations...

P2P is no way of judging speeds as already pointed out and most speedtesters aren't - if you are one of many using the speedchecker then you will get slow results etc..

The speedchecker results are fine, ive had nothing but good results. Im more concerned about the download rates im getting when putting those "good results" into practise.
N/A

What apps are you using for downloads?

P2P is very dependant on
1. The bandwidth on the peer your reading from
2. The number of peers your reading from
3. Any protocol overheads above and beyond the normal tcp overheads...
N/A

Your router / modem setup can have a bearing on your P2P downloads and more than likely, the nodes or servers you are downloading from, how popular or busy they are, will determine your download speed.

If anything at Plus Net is causing download speed issues with P2P and premier accounts they havent announced it yet.

Out of curiosity, would you tend to download a lot a peak times? By a lot I mean in excess of 100gb per month?
N/A

What apps are you using for downloads?

P2P is very dependant on
1. The bandwidth on the peer your reading from
2. The number of peers your reading from
3. Any protocol overheads above and beyond the normal tcp overheads...

Ill give you a prime example...

From Limewire:
War of the Worlds Movie Trailor - 14.8mb - 27 sources
I got a maximum of 42kb/s on this, my girlfriend got 206kb/s, both on 'the same' speed. When i download things, i tend not to use anything else, and im pretty confident about how fast my previous Plusnet package could go, what i dont understand, is why im not getting at least the same download rates as before, let alone faster speeds.

|Edit:-|

As reply ot the above post, no, 100gb is far beyond what i would usually download per month, There isnt much that i do download, but i know the difference between getting a file on my old connection and on my new one.