Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Glossery of terms linked to Forums

mitchell20
Grafter

I'm a member of the Virgin Atlantic Virgin Flyer Forum

They have recently introduced a system where when people post in the forum and they shorten technical terms eg LHR meaning London Heathrow - an automatic glossery is linked to each forum where when you hover your mouse over the shorthand LHR term, a tool-tip pop up window shows the full explanation of the each term.

I appreciate that there are likely to be many more technical terms in this forum but I'm sure it would be helpful to many people.

James
14 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Automatic Glossery of terms linked to Forums

Great idea, it would certainly help me understand reading some of the more technical replies.
csogilvie
Grafter

It would be useful I guess, but I wouldn't think it was arguable wether it would be something for the forums. Would a post in the Tutorials & FAQs forum help with a list of acronyms (or a link to a list) rather than making changes to the forum code?
Community Veteran

There is already somwhere on the portal a list of these. Perhaps a link to that page (wherever it is) could be put in the Tutorials rather than have to compile the list again.?
csogilvie
Grafter

There is? I can't say I've seen it - although my current acronym list is for Uni and is 7 pages long :shock:
Community Veteran

Ill try and find it. I suppose a tutorial could be made easily enough with a copy and past from that page.
Community Veteran

Ive done a lot of searches to try and find "glossary" or "acronym" and although some promising links are shown, none of the pages are actually available when you click on the link.
Looks like the page I have seen in the past is no longer available :?
Anyone from support know where it is?
Community Veteran

I seem to remember something like that a long time ago, but it would just always go down the same route of waiting for development time to get it updated. I think if there is a real need for this it needs to be controlled from here and maintained by the tutorials team.

Chris
Community Veteran

This is, finally,. a tutorial I may be able to help on - if we decide it should go ahead. Smiley I personally think a glossary would be a great idea, but I wonder if many people would use it - i.e. could people be bothered to go and look up half the words of a pst in a glossary?

Thomas
N/A

I agree this would be best in tutorial form, that way it could be easily updated.

P.S. Thomas, what's a pst! Wink
Community Veteran

Could be an acronym for something :!: we need a glossary. Cheesy

Seriously though there was a pretty good list of all the acronyms you were likely to come accross on the forums but the page seems to have gone.
It is mentioned if you do a search but the link is dead.
N/A

The original poster's idea was for a tool tip type popup. Maybe a mod on the forum posting page could handle this with an extra "Acro" button (and corresponding [acro] bbcode tags) on the post a reply form.

Syntax would take two forms, similar to the existing [url] options.
[acro]acronym[/acro]

[acro="meaning"]acronym[/acro]

The first form would look up the meaning for acronym in a standard list hard coded into a php variable. The second would use the meaning given in the tag.

This would translate to HTML as:
<span title="meaning">acronym</span>

which, in Internet Explorer anyway, gets treated as a tool tip.

Not a priority at this point in time, I guess, but if someone came up with an acronym list this might be a way of making good use of it.
csogilvie
Grafter

Or why not use the correct HTML tag for Acronymns and Abbreviations?
Community Veteran

I think the plan of action is to get someone in the tutorials team to 'own' this one and then begin populating the list with the help of the tutorials team. Once they have a few stick it live and get everyone else to help make some more suggestions.

Once there is a decent list find some way of doing the coding / whatever to get it to work in the way requested.

Chris
N/A

Or why not use the correct HTML tag for Acronymns and Abbreviations?

Erm, yes. Shockedops: