cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated Webstats

N/A

Automated Webstats

I'm struggling with Webalizer on the cgi server. I can download the log files and analyse them locally without problem, but the same won't happen from cgi. I've followed the instructions in Tech Support, created a 'stats' directory, created & CHMODed 'autostat'. It appears to run the ftp OK, but gives an error just before the Webalizer version info: 'Error: Unable to open configuration file /files/home3/rcdalton/stats/stats.conf' It then says 'Using logfile STDIN (clf)' & hangs up when trying to read the history file.

Any thoughts?

Paul Brooks
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Automated Webstats

Actually, reading my own post, does that mean I need to create a stats.conf file and should it be the same as the fstat.conf I run locally?

Paul Brooks

> I'm struggling with Webalizer on the cgi server. I can download the log files and analyse them locally without problem, but the same won't happen from cgi. I've followed the instructions in Tech Support, created a 'stats' directory, created & CHMODed 'autostat'. It appears to run the ftp OK, but gives an error just before the Webalizer version info: 'Error: Unable to open configuration file /files/home3/rcdalton/stats/stats.conf' It then says 'Using logfile STDIN (clf)' & hangs up when trying to read the history file.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Paul Brooks

N/A

> Actually, reading my own post, does that mean I need to create a stats.conf file and should it be the same as the fstat.conf I run locally?
>
> Paul Brooks
>
> > I'm struggling with Webalizer on the cgi server. I can download the log files and analyse them locally without problem, but the same won't happen from cgi. I've followed the instructions in Tech Support, created a 'stats' directory, created & CHMODed 'autostat'. It appears to run the ftp OK, but gives an error just before the Webalizer version info: 'Error: Unable to open configuration file /files/home3/rcdalton/stats/stats.conf' It then says 'Using logfile STDIN (clf)' & hangs up when trying to read the history file.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >

Hi Paul,

I have asked for this to be looked at for you. Once I have some feed-back, I will let you know the outcome.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant...........for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> Hi Paul,
>
> I have asked for this to be looked at for you. Once I have some feed-back, I will let you know the outcome.

I seem to have answered it for myself as I uploaded my local 'fstat.conf' into the 'stats' sub-directory. This wouldn't work as it was not pointing to the log file. I changed the first line to
'LogFile stats.log' and it now works OK. I've now set up a crontab to automate it, so hopefully all is well.

The Webstats tech support page could do with a tweak as quite a lot has to be guessed at (fine if you guess right!).

Thanks.

Paul Brooks
N/A

> I seem to have answered it for myself as I uploaded my local 'fstat.conf' into the 'stats' sub-directory. This wouldn't work as it was not pointing to the log file. I changed the first line to
> 'LogFile stats.log' and it now works OK. I've now set up a crontab to automate it, so hopefully all is well.
>
> The Webstats tech support page could do with a tweak as quite a lot has to be guessed at (fine if you guess right!).
>

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the info above, I am sure people will find it helpful. I will pass your comments on about the portal pages being updated with the relevant details.

Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Regards,

Dave

--
| David Scarpa...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Senior Technical Consultant...........for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

> > I seem to have answered it for myself as I uploaded my local 'fstat.conf' into the 'stats' sub-directory. This wouldn't work as it was not pointing to the log file. I changed the first line to
> > 'LogFile stats.log' and it now works OK. I've now set up a crontab to automate it, so hopefully all is well.
>
> Please let me know if I can help you any further.

Yes, hopefully. I've been fiddling around with CRON for the last few days. The tech. support page gives these examples;
0 * * * * /home/files1/username/scriptname.php

10 * * * * /home/files1/username/cgi-bin/script2.cgi

23 10 10 * * /home/files1/username/script.php

so I tried '0 2 * * * /home/files3/rcdalton/stats/autostat'

then I noticed that this was different from the path in the Web Stats tech. supp. so I tried '0 2 * * * /files/home3/rcdalton/stats/autostat'

Still no joy. Can you see where I'm going wrong as the script isn't updating my files.

Paul Brooks
ratbag
Grafter

Automated Webstats

I found this 2 year old topic which asked the very question I wanted answered.

Has anyone successfully managed to get the weblogs copied to the cgi server by running the script posted on plusnet's own customer support page here: http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=210 ?

I did the changes suggested by rcdalton in this thread but although it looks as though it's being copied, when you look there's nothing there. Any ideas on this please?