cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-removal of Spam and Sexually-explicit email

hatchwarren
Dabbler

The AI which inserts the words 'spam' or 'sexually explicit' into the subject lines of offending emails seems to work very well, and having set up OE on my home PC not to download emails containing those words in the subject line my inbox is no longer full of rubbish. Great!

Unfortunately I check my inbox via the web portal more often than from home, and from there I get to see everything. I'm told PN don't offer the option to have all such mail deleted on receipt. This is disappointing, especially as they are not blacklisting one spammer who hits me several times a day, every day. (The spammer's trademark is using a woman's full name (e.g. Jane Bloggs) as the display name, with an email address containing the woman's first name again followed by junk.)

I can't understand why PN are unwilling to take this step, which would surely not be technically difficult.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Spam Filtering Replying Ivan

Hi hatchwarren,

Glad some of the email filtering service IS working well for you, but I think you misunderstand the technical difficulties involved at the ISP & server levels in correctly identifying all your incoming email as spam,junk, etc and what is your legit mail. To have a system at server level which could delete such mail before being received into your webmail inbox IS technically quite difficult or extremely expensive (not financially viable for the ISP) or both. I have made various suggestions in the same spirit and everyone has fallen on stoney ground sadly.

**If it is of any interest to you I use an excellent program called MailWasher Pro which allows the user (yourself) to see/view the emails on the server BEFORE you download them, you can mark those as spam,junk etc and delete them. Leaving just the legitimate mail you actually want to receive for downloading to your machine & OE. Removing the spam etc can be done in seconds.

**Mailwasher can be found at http://www.mailwasher.net or
**Mailwasher http://www.firetrust.com

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
hatchwarren
Dabbler

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for the response, however I'm not sure you've understood what I'm saying. My point is NOT about the effectiveness or otherwise of the process which identifies spam and junk - as I said at the start of my post, that functionality is working well: so well, in fact, that I am prepared to trust it to filter out anything it considers to be rubbish. I understand that process is technically difficult, and I congratulate PlusNet for doing it well.

My point was that having done the difficult job of identifying the spam and junk, the step of deleting such emails immediately (instead of just appending to their subject lines) must surely be very easy, and I feel PlusNet should offer that option to its users so that they do not have to wade through hundreds of these emails when using Webmail.

My further point was that it's disappointing to see so much spam from the same source reaching my account day after day for months without the sender being blacklisted.

Given these points, I'm not at all sure how MailWasher would help. When I'm using Webmail I only open the non-junk in any case, when I'm using OE there's not a problem. What I'm looking for is a way to avoind being presented with all this obvious spam in the first place.

Regards,

Steve
N/A

Replying Ivan

Hi Steve,

Sorry! my apologues now I understand your points clearly,yes! I understand what your saying. I dont know PN's position of this specific issue have you asked them what they might be able to do, especailly as the mail is coming from the same source on a daily basis.

**Apart from PN what I would also suggest to you is that you have a look at SPAMCOP's website. I think you can still register for free and use their reporting servcie. This I have found VERY VERY helpful in the past when I was drenched by spam. Basically what you do is receive one of the spam mail that you are getting on a daily basis, open up the header information (NOT the message content) and copy the entire mail headers to the clipboard on your machine. Go to spamcops website and paste in the entire headers into the reporting page, next step is to process or parse the header information. This will normally confirm its spam and then spamcop will usually tell you which network or location the spam is coming from. Next this process then normally offers you the option to send a spamcop alert to the ISP/Network admins concerned so they can deal with the offender. This worked for me successfully on several occations so I think its worth the effort involved despite being abit long winded.

http://www.spamcop.net

**I havent used them recently.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

I think the problem may be that if you allow an ISP to auto-delete mail you are potentially losing control of your account! I occasionally receive messages from hotmail accounts or the like which Mailwasher treats as "possible spam". If PN deleted those without your express permission, you'd be upset, yes?

Andy
N/A

More Ivan

Hi,

YEP! I agree with the points Andy made and also what if PN deleted legitimate mail bye mistake during the process. These filtering services cannot be guarenteed to work 100% all the time and they are not perfect and can and do make mistakes so I think you do have to bear that in mind.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Is there not the option for PlusNet to delete all the mail automatically left in your Webmail boxes? I understood this to be so, PERHAPS that would help. I do not do that as I like to look at it in case there is something I want. One instance in over a year, and the world would not have stopped if I had missed that one. Smiley So perhaps I will have a rethink.