cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-reconnect

N/A

Auto-reconnect

Hi,

I'm having great trouble getting PlusNet support to give me a satisfactory response to a problem. As a satisfied home user of PlusNet I decided to recommend them when installing ADSL for my local branch of Samaritans, but I'm wondering whether I made the right move.

The Samaritans package is the BT 2110 wireless router on a business tariff. Every now and then the router enters a state where the 'Internet' LED is off and no connection is available (the ADSL light is NOT flashing). Rebooting the router clears the problem. Sometimes it doesn't fail for a week, other times it will fail twice in a few hours. The average is probably about one failure every three days.

This is a problem for a number of reasons. Firstly because of the layout of the building the router is on the first floor and volunteers - some elderly - shouldn't be having to sort it out so often. Secondly they're not all very technically literate and are wary of doing so. Thirdly they don't always report it to me promptly so care of callers can be impacted. Fourthly a business (and PN insist charities use the business tariff) should not have to suffer this level of impact.

The first time I called support I was told the problem was 'stale sessions' and to leave the router off for an hour. This sounded a slightly primitive response but I went with it - two days later, another failure. Today I've called support again and been told two things - firstly to try the router in the master socket and secondly to select the 'reconnect after failure' option in the router config. I could try moving the router to the master socket but it would be very inconvenient, and my (limited) understanding is that this step would be more appropriate to a flashing ADSL light (loss of synch) problem. Whilst this problem may be triggered by a brief loss of synch, it's probably not due to internal wiring (it's in good condition and the building is very close to the exchange). My theory is therefore that the router is failing to recover after a loss of synch as it should.

I spoke to PN support this evening and they agree with my diagnosis in as much as they told me to look for a 'reconnect after failure' (or similar) option in the router config. However they couldn't tell me where to look and had no router manual - and they don't have these routers on their network for support purposes because they all have fixed IP addresses so it wouldn't be possible!! Bear in mind this is the DEFAULT router option for wireless ADSL. I can't find any such configuration option, and in any case I'm sceptical becuase it was an out-of-the-box installation and even if the option does exist I can't believe it's default is 'stay broken after loss of synch'!

If I can't get this working properly I'll have to change providers (although it's two months or so into a twelve month contract PN are not providing the contracted service) but it seems a shame. So my questions are:

1. Does anyone have a technical diagnosis of this problem?

2. Does the 'reconnect after failure' option exist on the 2110, and if so where?

3. I stumbled across an option in the router quick setup dialogue which gives "always on", "dial on demand" or "manual connect" with the latter two options having inactivity timeouts. Although I shouldn't have to, would I be better off using "dial on demand" with a long timeout? (It's currently set to "always on"). I know I could take the trial and error approach but I'm only onsite once every couple of weeks so would rather not.

4. Does anyone have any tips for getting PN to take this seriously? To me it can only be a router fault or an exchange problem.

All input very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Steve Adams
9 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

Auto-reconnect

This might help you do diagnose the problem:

http://www.voyager.bt.com/2110/support.htm . There's a windows help file you can download.
Saturn
Grafter

Auto-reconnect

Well it's not the best help I've seen but there is a setting in the configuration manager for 'Always On' . You should set that instead of 'Dial On Demand'.

That said, if everything is working correctly it shouldn't need to reconnect on such a regular basis, especially as you are close to the exchange. Maybe it's the configuration in the building. In my experience you don't want to have too much distance between the ADSL output of the filter that your modem is connected to. Also, judging by what you have said there should be a filter at each socket where a phone is connected. Take a look at this very good tutorial:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9996&highlight=filters

Hope that helps
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Auto-reconnect

I'm sorry to hear that you are having such problems with your connection. From the description you've given I'm not 100% convinced that the line is causing a problem - it's more likely the router.

Changing it to "Always On" should help with this. If it's at all possible can you borrow another router from a friend to see if you have the same problems?

I will be looking on your account to see which agents you have spoken to as we do have a Voyager 2110 in the office, I will make sure they are aware of this.
N/A

Auto-reconnect

Hi Ben and Saturnnet,

Thanks for your posts. Firstly I'm afraid you've both misread my initial post (actually I suspect Ben read Saturnnet's post and missed my original comment): I *do* currently have the 2110 set to "Always on", I was merely speculating in my post whether changing it to "dial on demand" might provide a work-around for the problem, i.e. the router would connect every time someone needed internet access even if there had been a synch failure since the last time.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone else with a wireless router. I could swap the 2110 with my Binatone (wired) router and wireless access point combination from home if necessary, but I'm not keen to do that... mainly because I actually have a similar problem at home!! I haven't complained about that a) because it's much more intermittent and b) because I could only get ADSL at home at all after the second extended reach project, i.e. it's borderline, so I don't want anyone deciding my line won't support ADSL after all. The problem at home does seem to start off with a loss of synch (flashing DSL light on the Binatone) but after about 10% of these synch losses the PPP light doesn't come back on and I have to reboot the router.

As to Saturnnet's questions, the line has a master socket and one extension and, yes, both have filters. Admittedly the router is connected (directly) to the filter in the extension socket - but as I mentioned in my initial post, I could understand moving the router to the master socket to overcome losses of synch (flashing ADSL light) but not to overcome a failure to reconnect after a loss of synch.

Finally, Ben, are you able to confirm whether this 'connect after failure' configuration option does exist on the 2110? Your agent (whose details I've sent you by PM) was certain it does, but as I said I can find no sign of it.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

Steve Adams
Saturn
Grafter

Auto-reconnect

Well, I was trying to confirm that it should be set to 'Always On'. Whatever.

What do you mean by "Admittedly the router is connected (directly) to the filter in the extension socket" ? Can I assume that you have a filter at the Master socket and have the phone connected through the phone output of that filter, then you have a filter at the extension socket and have connected the modem to the modem output of the second filter? How long is the lead from the modem to the filter it is plugged into?
N/A

Auto-reconnect

Yes, that's it exactly. The lead from the modem to the filter is just the lead which came with the modem - about 1.5 metres, I suppose.

Thanks,

Steve
Saturn
Grafter

Auto-reconnect

And you've said the wiring is in good condition, so must be something else. What are the line stats from the router? As you are close to the exchange they might indicate an external wiring fault.
N/A

Auto-reconnect

Hi Saturnnet,

Here's everything that looks relevant...

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
Latency Type Fast Line Up Time 00:00:29:11
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 2272 Kbps 288 Kbps
Noise Margin 29.2 dB 29.0 dB
Line Attenuation 14.0 dB 8.0 dB
Output Power 13.3 dBm 11.6 dBm

ADSL Speed (DS/US) 2272/288 Kbps

Firmware Version 2.21.05.05_A2pB018c1.d16d
Boot Loader Version 1.0.37-21.6.4
Wireless Driver Version 3.91.39.0 (Wireless is enabled)

Interface Tx packets/Errors Rx packets/Errors
Tx bytes/Drops Rx bytes/Drops
Ethernet 133/0 0/0
35554/0 0/0
Wireless 2912/0 2509/0
1733349/0 360067/0
WAN 1071/0 1246/0
222912/0 971808/0

Thanks again for your help on this...

==================================

Ben,

Have you had any chance to look into the alleged 'auto-reconnect' option on the router yet? It's still failing regularly, and if I can't get a definitive response very soon I am going to need to look elsewhere. Would it be easier to manage this issue under a support ticket than in this forum?

Regards,

Steve
Saturn
Grafter

Auto-reconnect

Which confirms that it too thinks it's close to the exchange (good figures). So doesn't look like an external line quality issue. Suggests it's either a problem with the Router or something at the exchange.

I shouldn't say this but why don't you buy a Router from Argos (or equiv), try it out for a few days and then take it back for a refund. Should prove whether it's the Router or the exchange. If it's the Router you can keep it and problem solved. Just a thought, but you didn't get it from me :lol: