cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Log-in auto turned off

Fixes: 115

Today I had to enter my login details after refreshing the Forum page I was on.

After logging in I checked the Auto log-in and found it was turned off. I have always set it for two years and I know it hasn't been two years since I last set it.

Any ideas why this should happen? I did log in yesterday from my parents (while still loged in at home) but had come back to my own PC and was still logged in. I have done this many times before without problems.

Could my account have been compromised or is there something less sinister behind this?

Cheers

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Have you cleared your cookies recently, or installed / run any Spyware protection software?

Autologin works by placing a cookie on your machine. Can you see this cookie?

Anybody else having any similar problems?

I ran Windows Defender which reported no problems and SpyBot which reported some cookies it suggested I delete but nothing suggesting any from PN.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

From my old and long memory Sad I recall that there have been problems in the past when users have set very long time periods for the life of auto log in.
The answer was I'm sure to only use 3 months or less and that seemed to cure it. Smiley
Liam
Grafter

If autologin isn't working now, please can you see if the Cookie is still present?

Windows Defender may well have deleted it, as would many other Spyware programs. This is the only reason I can see for it not working.

If it's not because you have no cookie, then finding the cookie (and sending it to me) will allow me to find out why it's not working. But I strongly suspect the former.
jagger
Grafter

The auto login was malfunctioning badly yesterday to the point where I could not post about it.Every page required me to login again manually and if I tried to post it required me to login and then put a session time out message on the page.

I gave up.The portal is a mess at the best of times.The forum is so slow I've almost stopped visiting.

This isn't one users' problem it's a portal problem and has been on and off for years.

I haven't changed anything on my machine and today the auto login is working perfectly.

Go figure.

autoLogin
1536299%3Ae61ce9472e716346c099cffb978fbd01
.plus.net
Any type of connection
09 January 2007 13:38:15
Saturn
Grafter

@johnessex

As I recall the problem with auto-login was in excess of 3 years and wouldn't work from the point that it was set out of range. I have been using a 3 year value ever since that problem arose and haven't had any problems since.

Edit: Apart from that I'm anticipating a reply on this thread will show whether the forum reply notifications are working again (as per the other thread).
Liam
Grafter

*Reply*
Saturn
Grafter

Not yet Cry
Saturn
Grafter

But now :lol:
Liam
Grafter

Good stuff.
Saturn
Grafter

Indeed, and swiftly moving back on topic, curious to see John's take on my recollection of auto-login.
Community Veteran

As I said "from my old and long memory" I recall that using a time of a year or more caused a problem Wink
I can't however recall if it was fixed but if you have now had a 3 year one working then it must have been. Smiley

It appears that Auto Login is working correctly and, I too, have got an email notification of this thread.

Cheers

Liam
Grafter

Glad to hear that.